Fujian Rain

Oolong Tea
Earth, Mineral, Roasted, Smoke, Rice, Toasted
Edit tea info Last updated by John Grebe

From Adagio Teas

Shui Xian, which translates to “Water Sprite,” is an oolong produced in a similar style to Wuyi Oolongs. Therefore they share some similar traits, such as peachy-honey notes and a mineral “rock taste.” This high-fired, medium grade version results in a rich tasting amber colored cup with the nuances of minerals, apricots and spice. Great for an everyday oolong option.

About Adagio Teas View company

Tastes sort of like a light pu-erh, or over brewed bai mudan, maybe. Overall, I’m not impressed. I think green oolongs are more my thing.

John Grebe

I agree there is a crossover effect as if one likes puerh or rock oolong than there is a very good chance that one will also enjoy the other.

This oolong has a nice mineral aftertaste just like the other rock oolongs I’ve had. I taste a little bit of the honey but the peach is very faint. It has an interesting grittiness that the other wuyi oolongs didn’t have, almost sandy. The roasted flavor is great and comes through strongly without being overpowering.

Fujiam Rain is one of the best Shui Xian Wuyi oolongs that I have had the pleasure of drinking. If one is poetic in their tasting notes fujian rain would be the perfect description of how it tastes assuming that rain would have a light and sweet taste to it. Just be careful about getting this tea too strong as it quickly goes downhill but brewed right it is a very nice light and sweet wuyi oolong with amazing reinfusability. When gaiwan brewed I have literally brewed easily 10 cups or more from a single set of leaves.

Good flavor but very weak. The first steep will make you wish you could better taste the mineral notes. The second steep is not worth drinking.

This is a tea that I’m learning to love. The leaves have a very earthy scent with hints of smoke and roasting. It smells a little bit like a hojicha
—-edit, not sure where the rest of my review went?

The liquor is a medium amber color with a clean taste. It’s very mineral-y, but ends with a clean oolong finish that leaves you wanting more. It’s a complex cup but very relaxing and enjoyable. Future steeps reveal sweetness after the mineral taste dissipates.

Flavors: Earth, Mineral, Roasted, Smoke

Wow! This is an oolong? So bright, lots of nice too notes. I don’t get that darker smokey oolong-y taste in used to getting. Very nice.

I’m new (today!) to oolongs. Mainly I’m getting a toasted rice [edit: as I tasted more oolongs, that flavor diminished on my palette). It’s got some sweetness to it, maybe even a little roasted nuts. Way at the end of the lingering flavor, I could see describing it as a rocky taste. It’s not vegetable flavored, it’s not woody or fruity or malty or flowery… so yeah, a tiny little spice and a tiny little rocky among the toasted rice.

Since the color was halfway between raw cashews and raw hazlenuts, I had a handful of nuts. This really opened up my tongue to tasting the mineral right away when sipping. And it’s not something I’m enjoying right off. But, I could see developing a palette for it. I think the flavors are just too new to me, and I’m spending too much time thinking about it.

Edit: Like most oolongs, once I doubled the tea quantity and shortened the initial steep, I started enjoying it A LOT more. I ordered a huge bag of this. For the price (about 8 cents per gram) I found it to be an affordable investment. I’ve bumped up the rating too, based on a few factors. (1) ease of dealing with company, fast shipments, rewards through website (2) aroma and flavors (not too smoky) last multiple steeps. Right now I prefer a greener tie-guan-yin, but I like this one too. Not transcendent, but I enjoy it. So I’m giving it a high rating for my own enjoyment and overall experience with the tea.

Edit #2: Oh man, there’s some figgy/raisin fruit notes at the end of this first steep today, hits me right in the spot in the back of the top of your mouth where sweet-tarts stimulate… I must have brewed it JUST right. Boiled water in electric kettle, wait 1 min, slowly pour over leaves in infuser mug (two heaping perfect scoops for 12 oz water mug). Wait 2 minutes. Since I don’t always get this flavor, I guess the tea is a bit temperamental to coax. But wow.

Very good tea.

Bob

Thanks Pat!

I got this as a sampler from Adagio’s website, in a quest to try out different types of tea and expand my palate. I probably used a bit more water than I should have with this tea, probably making it a bit lighter than it could.

The flavor is very nice, matching the woody smell that comes from the cup. The flavors are a bit light, but they are very nicely balance. The flavor is toasty and slightly like rice, which is more pronounced in the after taste.

I definitely wish to try another cup of this tea.

Flavors: Earth, Rice, Toasted

This is a good everyday oolong for me. It is definitely fruity combined with a mineraly taste, and it holds up well to multiple steepings. Oolong is my favorite tea to have unflavored, and I am glad to have found this one for my day to day oolong fix!