Sencha Overture

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I can haz stealth tea! As in I once mentioned not being very familiar with japanese greens apart from some sencha way back when and a few assorted and barely remembered samples. And genmaicha,...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1290 tasting notes
  • “Continuing down my Japanese tea route I will be drinking this tea next. My husband prefers black tea or heavily oxidized Oolong but I am hoping he will eventually learn to appreciate green tea as...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1118 tasting notes
  • “So I ordered a ton of Japanese green tea to try out in my new Kyusu that I bought myself for destroying finals. Dry Smell: Smells like fruit leather, strawberry fruit leather. Wet Smell:...” Read full tasting note
    knifeblood102 98 tasting notes
  • “I'm pretty torn over this one. It smells good in the tin -- to me, at least; I can definitely see how this flavor profile is one that people probably either love or hate -- though I was worried it...” Read full tasting note
    sophistre 158 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Green tea from the Shizuoka region of Japan. Sencha translates as ‘common,’ but there is nothing ordinary about this exquisite ‘spider leg’ tea. The latter refers to the leaves’ long, slender shape. Our ‘Sencha Overture’ is a wonderfully delicate second flush (summer) tea whose soothing taste and fresh green scent make it a perfect everyday treat.

About Adagio Teas View company

First sencha. I bought a sampler and it is an ok tea. I like the salt air smell and the slight veggie taste. I gather from the reviews, there are many better senchas out there.

Finally, I’ve found a green tea I like! For years I’ve not been the biggest green tea fan, or any kind of fan at all. Bitter and dusty would be the two words I’d have attributed to green tea before today. So, understandably, this tea came as a bit of a revelation.

The dry leaves are very long and thin, and look like they’ve been rolled. They’re mostly dark green, but there are some lighter ones in there. The smell is very pleasant — sweet and hay-like, like fresh cut grass.

Brewed, the smell is equally pleasant, like freshly steamed green veg. The liquor is very light yellow-green in colour, which took me completely by surprise as the leaves are so dark.

The taste is very light and delicate, slightly grassy. I think I was so shocked that I actually liked it to really absorb everything about the flavour. Sweet, grassy, maybe slightly vegetal — I think I might brew it a little longer next time. I feel the flavour could be a little more significant, but I’m sure it’ll be trial and error. Either way, I’m not complaining. I like it like this anyway!

Going into this tea I was expecting not to like Senchas, or any other Japanese green teas for that matter. I’m generally not a fan of seaweed. So far I prefer the Chinese green teas that are more nutty, more sweet, and more buttery.

I was surprised when I opened this tea and it really had a nose of hay. And I like hay, so I was happy. After 2 minutes of steeping the vegetal notes come out, but they are complimented by more hay and nuttiness that I expected. Bitterness is minimal. Not as sweet as some of the Chinese greens I’ve had but I actually really like this tea.

The second steep (2 minutes) was not as strong as the first, with the hay even more pronounced than the first go-round.

Bitter

Tasty! A nice gentle spinachy flavor, with a hint of seaweed. Not as grassy as I expected.

The hot water spout at the office runs about 175-180 degrees. I was worried this would be too hot, since the package suggests 170.

Not a good one to leave long, or to have very hot water for! Nonetheless, when made with proper water temperature and steep time, it’s a good little tea. Definitely vegetal. I prefer Sleeping Dragon over this one, but, that’s just me.

The aroma I like the most about this tea. Smells like a warm, rainy evening, with a high note of something sweet. The tea is a subdued green, which I don’t find anything especially noteworthy about. It’s still a great tasting tea.

This is my first real green tea. It has a very smooth taste, worlds better than the packaged green tea I am used to. It has a very fresh taste, with a buttery type of after taste. Hopefully I’ll be able to provide better descriptions as I go, but this is very good for my introduction. Nothing amazing to the flavor, but just a very fresh full bodied taste that is relaxing and refreshing.

I thought I really liked green tea until I got the green tea sampler from adagio. It turns out that I like flavored green tea. I am sure that this tea, like many of the others in the green tea sampler, are very good for those who like the grassy green tea flavor, that person is not me. It was not bad. I just did not like it.