Sencha Premier

Green Tea
Butter, Flowers, Grass
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Adagio Teas

Green tea from the Shizuoka region of Japan. Special occasions call for a Japanese tea that is truly sublime. Our ‘Sencha Premier’ is just such tea. Made only from the dark green leaves gathered in the treasured first (early spring) flush, this tea infuses with an aroma and taste unsurpassed by any other. If you enjoy green tea, do not miss an opportunity to revel in this unique treat.

About Adagio Teas View company

Adagio Teas has become one of the most popular destinations for tea online. Its products are available online at and in many gourmet and health food stores.

Today I have had perhaps 7-8 cups of Sencha and in fact I’m going to have some more!

7-8 infusions of the same leaves?!

No, 3 infusions with the same leaves and many trips to the bathroom :) But that’s o.k.

wow…sencha overload!

Yes, indeed! And I’m feeling like an energizer bunny!!!

This is an awesome tea and I’m so glad I got to try it! While normally known as a bitter and grassy tea I was very pleased with the smoothness of this one. The aroma kinda reminds me of the ocean, and is super soothing. Can be enjoyed for several infusions without really losing any of the complexities. Enjoy!

I wish Adagio used Japanese sencha instead of Chinese for their flavored teas. I really like premium sencha when I need a boost of energy because it requires little water. I don’t always want a full stomach/bladder when I want energy.

Eric Walter

what’s the difference in the taste of Chinese & Japanese?

I can’t really tell you as I haven’t had an unflavored Chinese sencha.

Wow. It’s been awhile since I last reviewed anything.

I like this tea. I don’t love it but there is something endearing about it to me. There is a fresh grassy taste that can be a little strong at times but usually isn’t too intrusive. It actually reminds me of Matcha only with out the consumption of the powdered leaf. I would really enjoy drinking this on a nice temperate day during the spring. Maybe one day the weather will get to that point.

Robust, deeply vegetal, sweet. Smooth texture, rich flavour. Buttery, slight lemon. Intense for an asamushi, and I really enjoy it.

Steep 2: 165* 30sec
3:175* 60 sec
4:185* 2 min
5:212* 3 min

This one was really nice. It had a faint grassy smell to it with a lot of buttery caramel overtones. The grassy smell toned off considerably on drinking, but the caramel was still there faintly. I could drink this every day and be happy.

I originally purchased this tea because it comes from the same region of Japan that I stayed in when I went there a few years back.

This tea has the perfect amount of grassiness for my preference, at least compared to other green teas I’ve tried so far. Once this tea cooled down, it was very good. None of the flavors were very sharp, which I like. It all seems to mesh together quite well.

I do see one problem however. I only made two cups worth, and I am starting to think that was not enough! This might qualify for a re-steep.

One of the better sencha teas I’ve tasted. A bit expensive compared to others of equal and better taste straight from Japan. Of all the Adagio Japanese greens, this is my favorite. The first steep (77 C, 45 s) is grassy with floral notes and full body. The second steep (79 C, 30 s) is more cloudy, of course, with a bit more of the buttery notes. The third (79 C, 1.5 min) is the last pull for me, and it still remained above many other senchas.

Flavors: Butter, Flowers, Grass

170 °F / 76 °C 0 min, 45 sec 4 g 7 OZ / 200 ML

If I was stuck on a deserted island and could only take one tea with me, this would be the one.

When I bought this tea I wanted to make sure I steeped it to the specs it recommended and it took me forever to get a thermometer that would work in my kettle. Months later I finally tried it and I have to say it’s one of the best green teas I’ve ever had. I’m usually a fan of flavored teas because of the lack of flavor in just plain tea, but this had plenty of flavor. It was smooth and had a slight sweetness at the finish. I’ll be getting a larger tin of is for sure.

Found this very mediocre. Mild, simple and no depth at all. Not offensive but just not very good for my taste.

Buy again: No