White Monkey

Green Tea
Bitter, Smoke, Spinach, Vegetal, Floral, Grain, Grass, Hay
Edit tea info Last updated by Oolonga

From Adagio Teas

Green tea (do not be confused by its name) that grows along the slopes of the Taimu mountains in the Fujian province of China. The young leaves and unopened buds are carefully gathered and processed exclusively by hand. The result is a tea that appears intricately woven with large and beautiful white tips. It produces a very light cup that is noticeably sweet, and infused with a fresh, delicate scent.

$7/2 oz

About Adagio Teas View company

I’ll drink the rest of the sample can I got, but I won’t be reordering.

A great tea. Pretty subtle, but definitely sweet.

Bright and vegetal with a slight buttery taste and body of a Chinese green. Second steeping is very weak.

This one has a slightly smoky spinach flavor to me. I tend to prefer a less vegetal flavor, but this is nice and cleansing feeling. There’s something about it that seems to calm my stomach, too – maybe the bitterness? It probably isn’t one I’ll tend to choose very often, but I rather like it. I think I’ll have to reevaluate in time.

Flavors: Bitter, Smoke, Spinach, Vegetal

Pass the Stash TTB 2.0

Blegh, I’m feeling slightly nauseous after that Choconut Oolong… And I don’t think it’s because it’s a particularly bad tea. I really think I’m getting less tolerant of flavored teas, and I certainly don’t drink them often anymore. I’ve pretty much settled in to drinking a bunch of straight blacks with a few flavored varieties, so now that I have this box with a lot of flavored things, my stomach is getting unhappy with me. I may have to keep this a day longer than I had planned, just because I don’t really want to drink four or five more flavored teas today, and I don’t think my stomach can handle it. I was planning on sending it out tomorrow, but it may have to be Thursday now.

ANYWAY! I confess, I thought this was a white tea (I mean come on, with a name like White Monkey…). It’s apparently considered a green tea. The shape of the leaves remind me of the “wild” style black leaves – medium size and very twisty and tangly. They smell mostly of hay and alfalfa with a grassy edge. The package recommended 180 degrees, but I did 175 (partially because that’s my standard for greens and partially because my kettle has 175 and 185 buttons and I was lazy).

The aroma is sweetly vegetal and very light, with hay and grass notes. Tasting this, I find it similar to the Drum Mountain I tried earlier today. I could see it being the result of a cross between green and white teas – it has the vegetal taste of a green (albeit a lighter version) along with the distinctive hay note from a white tea. Very lovely! There’s also a touch of grassiness (green) and just a tiny hint of floral (white). And I can taste a little bit of a light grain note, especially if I slurp obnoxiously. ;)

Quite lovely, one of the best (or the best) I’ve tasted from Adagio.

Flavors: Floral, Grain, Grass, Hay, Spinach, Vegetal

Mandy

Yes slurping obnoxiously is the best way to get those hidden notes. I shamelessly slurp (:

good. more like a very light black tea

This is my favorite green so far

Sweet and very vegetal flavours, nice large leaves too!

Not bad, but really mild and kind of boring. Nice light vegetal grassiness to it, but nothing exciting enough that I feel like I need to buy it again after I run out of this sample.

My first taste of this I totally didn’t like, but then the flavors settled down a bit and I enjoyed the subtile, warming flavors. But by the end of the cup I was back to just not enjoying the flavor again. I got smokey and vegetal flavors. I think the best I can really say is I didn’t dislike this tea, but I don’t think I’ll be buying it again.