Vanilla Oolong

Oolong Tea
Vanilla, Smooth, Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Adagio Teas

According to the International Ice Cream Association, Vanilla is by far the most popular flavor, getting a full 23% of all ice cream consumption. Inspired by this love of vanilla, Adagio has created Vanilla Oolong Tea. Combining the delectable flavor of sweet vanilla beans and fresh Formosa oolong tea from Taiwan, I’ll scream, you’ll scream, we’ll all scream for… Vanilla tea!

About Adagio Teas View company

I Iced this tea and I wasn’t disappointed. Personally I like oolongs for their light flavor but this one definitely had a sweet kick. I enjoy fruity teas more especially in the summer but this one wasn’t all too bad.

Iced 3 min, 45 sec

I’m on a quest to find a vanilla tea that I really enjoy. Vanilla is one of my favorite flavors in any instance where I can choose a flavor, always, and I want this to apply to tea as well. From DavidsTea to Tazo to Celestial Seasonings to Southern Season, no tea source seems to get the flavor I want across. Unfortunately, this isn’t The One, but it’s better than most.

The leaves smell mostly woodsy with a bit of a vanilla undertone – bean, not flavoring. They’re not much to look at or smell, and are a bit smaller in general than I like my teas to be. I’m running through a sampler box, though, so this may have more to do with my dipping out of a small bag than a properly sized one. Brewing it in my new ingenuiTEA pot, I don’t have much comment to make on the scent when steeping.

The liquor’s a pretty, dark amber, not unlike the peach oolong from the same sampler set. I strongly suspect they’re made of the same tea base. The flavor profile puts the fairly creamy vanilla up front with a woodsy aftertaste from the oolong, both weaker than I’m looking for. The flavor’s more spot on than any other vanilla tea I’ve tried – especially compared to the most recent contender, DavidsTea’s awful vanilla oolong offering – but still not the in-your-face sweet treat I’m seeking.
-Cash

Ashley Bain

have you tried Vanilla Comoro from Harney?

Not crazy about this. The vanilla was much too strong for the subtle flavor of an oolong. I don’t think it is a good match. The vanilla also had a very artificial smell to it.

Completely horrible! I don’t recommend this tea as it felt like I put ashes in my mouth.

I was hoping to like this much more than I did. The dry leaf and the infused liquor smelled strongly of vanilla but it felt like it lacked something. Although it was not at all bitter my guess is that adding a bit of sugar would complement the vanilla. It probably wouldn’t take much and would make it more satisfying. I’ll likely give that a try the next time I try this.

Flavors: Vanilla

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 g 12 OZ / 354 ML

I am having another go at this Vanilla Oolong this morning, this time accented with about 1 tsp leftover Vanilla Chai that I was trying to use up. The combination seemed promising (or at least not revolting), so I’m going with it. I just need to be really careful with the added sweetener on these flavored oolongs. They are such a light, subtle flavor already, that it’s really easy to over-sweeten them and make them grossly cloying.

In fact, this oolong might be too light and subtle to combine with a chai, as really all I’m tasting is chai. It’s still a lovely, pleasant drink, but I"ll remember in the future to drink this one straight or, if I have to, combined with other similarly light, flavored oolongs. I do love to combine my tea flavors, but in this case, constraint is called for.

This is the second tea I’m trying from the samples I bought from Adagio teas. I was excited for it because the smell of the dry leaves were vanilla-y but not overbearing. There wasn’t much of a scent while it was brewing. The taste was underwhelming, there is a little bit of vanilla taste and I didn’t taste to much oolong. Though it was smooth.
I’m gonna try this again with boiling water and longer steeping time at a later date.

Flavors: Smooth

I expected something a little more decadent, what with all of the hype Adagio gives in their description. Really, it’s a black oolong flavored vanilla. That’s about it. However, don’t you ever underestimate “mild”! It’s still pretty tasty, and is great for adding to other teas to either bump up the flavor of the black tea base, or to calm down some feisty tea flavors. So far I’ve mixed it with my Cocoa Canella mate from DavidsTea as well as their Blueberry Jam, and I’ll be mixing it with the last of my Buttered Rum as to stretch that tea out a little more. I’m pretty excited to be trying it out with my Gingerbread black tea from Teavana, and probably my Chestnut from Adagio. Thinking I’ll look for some cinnamon sticks and break them down in my mortar and pestle to add to that… Seriously, what a versatile little tea! Probably going to order some blackberry black tea from Adagio to go with it too!

Flavors: Tea, Vanilla

I had higher expectations for this tea. The base oolong is a bit weak and you can barely taste the vanilla without adding sugar or honey-I like my tea with very little additives so this was a bit sad. I’ve mixed this tea hoping for better results like Golden monkey and Golden dragon with no prevail. Anyone else had luck with this tea?

2089 tasting notes

Thanks for sending this as a freebie from your sale, Ali! I think this one gets a bad rep over on these Steepster ratings. Maybe others are just not liking the Formosa oolong because they aren’t accustomed to it. I like Formosa once in a while for a change. This particular oolong isn’t bad but the vanilla isn’t exactly lovely real bean pods or anything. Usually Adagio is good with their flavoring. I can’t remember if this is close to the vanilla black tea they have. But rather than actual vanilla flavoring it’s really just a slight sweet flavor. But with two teaspoons the flavor is deep and roasty with a deep burgundy liquid. It definitely looks delicious.