Ripe For Romance

Edit tea info Last updated by John Grebe

From Adagio Teas

Ripe for Romance tea, an exclusive Adagio Valentine’s Day blend, is like a chocolate raspberry truffle without all the calories. Perfect for the special tea lover in your life. Gift it to your better half, or keep this chocolaty delight all to yourself

About Adagio Teas View company

Adagio Teas has become one of the most popular destinations for tea online. Its products are available online at and in many gourmet and health food stores.

It’s not you, it’s me…
I’m removing my rating for this tea because, as it turns out, I just don’t like raspberry chocolate teas. I know, I’m as shocked as you are. But I’ve tried 2 now, and even though I can certainly appreciate that they (this one included) were well blended, I just wasn’t crazy about either of them. This is a good tea. It’s just not a good tea for me.

That’s why I couldn’t rate honeybush. It wouldn’t be fair because the highest I could give would be a zero, even for the world’s best honeybush. The honeybush to end all honeybush.

I’m eager to try honeybush, but have been hesitant to place an order because I’ve heard a lot of people feel the same way about it that you do. My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to NY next week and I’m hoping to stop at DavidsTea while we’re there so I can try a cup of it in the store. That way, even if I hate it, I won’t have wasted money on a bulk order.

That’s a good idea. I just got a 2 dolla sample from Adagio and found it dreadful, but I also dislike rooibos. Have fun in NYC!

Thanks! I like rooibos, so I’m optimistic.

I’m having a lovely mug of this. I forgot I had it and was craving something sweet. I love the aroma I’m getting from this. It’s just like smashed red raspberries. So sweet. I’m not getting too much chocolate flavor but I can catch hints of a dark chocolate-like flavor. It blends well. mmmmmmmm

Adagio took a pretty safe route with this Valentine’s Day tea: chocolate and raspberry. That’s not a complaint nor is it a complement; I love the idea, but I’ve found that fruit-flavored blacks are not really Adagio’s strong point.

It smells nice enough, a semi-artificial (it’s far too sweet to be real) but clearly raspberry scent with a hint of chocolate. Not much of a tea scent here, which is fine by me when it comes to flavored teas on the inexpensive side (better to smell and taste the added flavoring than the cheap base, right?). It’s a fairly attractive tea, too (or else I’m easy to please) with real dried berry pieces and leaves adding color.

In the taste department, I’d call this… good at what it wants to be. It totally reminds me of a chocolate truffle with raspberry filling (which I assume they were going for, given the holiday release) and that accounts for the not particularly realistic nature of the fruitiness. It’s nothing like a real berry, but it’s definitely like a berry candy! The chocolate is there, but weak. It’s not a very complex taste overall (think candy from the drugstore, not Malley’s [do they even have Malley’s outside of the midwest?]) but for a Valentine’s-themed treat, it does the job. My preferred way of drinking this is in a custom blend, though; it goes very well with creamy flavors.

Like most of Adagio’s flavored black teas, you’ve got to keep a close eye on Ripe For Romance, as it can get very bitter very quickly.

I always start out liking this tea and then find it increasingly bitter and off-putting as I drink it. Adding sugar makes it more palatable but still not great. Some milk might help, but I don’t have any handy right now. It’s a shame, since it starts out so nice.

A good tasting chocolate raspberry flavored tea which with a spoonful of sugar makes a good desert alternative. Just like most flavored teas the flavor does not seem right without adding enough sugar to give it a fairly sweet taste.