Rooibos Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Opened my sample packet of this a couple of nights ago, when I was tired but desparately in need of a last (caffiene free) drink before bed. I've not been a huge fan of Adagio's rooibos blends thus...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 678 tasting notes
  • “This smells much better than the mango rooibos I tried last night. Still more piney than I am used to, but not bad. This tastes much better than the mango blend too! It's still not quite my...” Read full tasting note
    BlueKittyMeow 124 tasting notes
  • “When I first started drinking "loose leaf tea" (this is neither tea nor leaf, but... whatever) I had been strictly caffeine-free for years. The rooibos in my Adagio herbal sampler was a real...” Read full tasting note
    codylynnclark 183 tasting notes
  • “Smells of wood, something wet but fresh cut, not oak, Alder maybe. It has been too long since my forestry lab class for me to identify trees from the smell after they have been cut. In addition you...” Read full tasting note
    muiriddin 41 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Rooibos, colloquially known as Red Tea, is an herbal plant that grows in South Africa. Rooibos is a flavorful, caffeine-free alternative to tea for those seeking to eliminate caffeine intake. Ours is a top-grade, organic African tea.

About Adagio Teas View company

With the nights getting a little cooler…Ok it’s more like chillier. I refuse to turn the furnace on unless it get to bone chilling level…

Focus now, lets talk about tea. With fall in the air I have been reaching for more warm things to drink in the evening. Rooibos seems to fit the bill. Being caffeine free I do not have any sleepless nights.

Usually I reach for the flavored Rooibos, but last night I found a sample of Rooibos in my cupboard, decided to give it a try. Boy was I surprized, this is one of my favorites.

When the hot water hit the leaves the aroma was one of a fresh cut hay field. The sweet grassy aroma took me back in time.

The taste was even better, (it didn’t taste like hay) it was sweet and fruity . A pleasure to drink. Tried it without agave first, then later added it to compare. With or without it was still good.

I happen to love Rooibos teas, and this one was definetly very good. It seemed to get better towards the end of the cup. I steeped for 5 1/2 minutes, but I’m thinking it might be better with 5-7 minutes.

Its treated me so well. Its less known than most tea, but its so good. Don’t add anything to it: trust me, the flavor doesn’t need help from the likes of you.

Months ago this was my first Rooibos, and I’m just returning to it again. I remember finding it overpowering and woody in flavor, but chalk that up to poor memory, because I can’t attribute any of those qualities to the cup I am sipping today.
This time I only used 1 tsp for 8 oz. This resulted in a very mellow flavor with subtle red qualities. It’s just a plain Rooibos but in my opinion there is a lot going on in the flavor here. It actually reminds me of a Jasmine tea without any of the sweetness, and an earthy background to it.

Rooibos seems to be something that can be varied to each taster. Just increase the amount used or infusion time if you want a more intense flavor, or back off for a more subtle start that won’t overpower you.

This tea is really good. It’s kind of sweet on it’s own. For a non-caffinated herbal tea Rooiboos is great.

Mild taste. Never had it so I don’t know if I didn’t use enough of the rooibos in the steep.

Jillian

I’m pretty sure the usual amount is 1 tsp. per cup, the same as with regular tea.

Another Rooibos morning. This tea is great in any ratio…I used a heaping spoonful today it is just great. This Rooibos has never tasted too strong…only richer. Off to get another cup.

Got this in the rooibos sampler pack and I must say, it tastes like cough syrup to me. I just can’t get past the medicinal scent and taste, and adding sugar just makes it taste more like cough syrup. I definitely need to give this a few more tries, but be warned if you’ve never had rooibos before: you might not like it.

Also, this ruined my silicone Tuffy Teaspot Steeper along with being absolutely terrible to use since it’s so fine. My strainer now smells like rooibos and imparts a very unpleasant taste to my more delicate teas. Only use this in something that you know won’t absorb flavors.

I enjoy this, particularly iced. That said, I don’t have much basis for comparison when it comes to unflavored rooibos.

At first when I brewed this herbal I didn’t like it very much at all. I thought it was too wood-tasting and smelt too much like tobacco. Upon brewing it more and more I’ve actually come to really enjoy this herbal. The deep, smokey, full-bodied taste of a strong brew of Rooibos is great for me. I think at first I was brewing it too light. Now I put just a bit more Rooibos in the tea pot and steeped for an extra 30 seconds. I think that really brought out the real flavor of the drink for sure. Also, the price for Rooibos isn’t bad at all when you buy the 16oz, has a great value (at like .08 cents per cup I believe).

Personally, I find herbals to be perfect for evening/nighttime teas, and this one is probably my favorite at the moment, right next to Chamomile!

The health benefits from the herbal are right up there as well, so why not try this one?