Rooibos Earl Grey

Fruit Rooibos Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason
Boiling 5 min, 45 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

From Adagio Teas

Rooibos tea from South Africa, flavored with oil of bergamot, a citrus fruit. According to legend, this tea is named for Earl Grey, a British Prime Minister, to whom a Chinese noble entrusted its secret recipe for saving his life. Unfortunately, this story is not true. But we hope this won’t prevent you from enjoying our exquisite ‘Bravo’ version of the popular Earl Grey tea, the perfect afternoon tea. Naturally caffeine-free.

About Adagio Teas View company

I have A LOT of samples from Adagio. When I first started avoiding such high caffeine levels, I ordered their decaf, rooibos, and herbal sampler packs. I have, like, 16 little tins, plus a large tin of the jasmine rooibos (the first nocaf one I liked). Now that I’m letting myself have a little regular tea every day, I’m not going through them like I had been, and I am realizing that I will still have a bunch of these tins after I am back in the caffeine way.

To remedy this, I’m fixing pots at a time, which is using up these little tins with a quickness, and is also getting me back in the habit of continual tea consumption. Yay. :) So I have a whole pot of this. I’m sweetening with agave, and it’s like candy in a cup. Earl Grey candy, that is. :)

Bethany

I’m doing the same thing right now to try and get through my Adagio samplers. There are SO MANY.

Cofftea

Haha check out my cupboard- I don’t even think I have them all listed!:)

Ricky

Haha if sixteen is a lot, then I don’t know what you consider my cupboard. I’m trying to finish them off as well. I’m doing a better job knocking my Harney samplers though. Jasmine rooibos o.O, for some reason it doesn’t sound like jasmine + rooibos would mix together well.

takgoti

I’d totally nom on some earl grey candy. Excellent fix to the sample problem. I might have to start doing that.

LENA

yep, this sounds like a good idea. I need to clear some space too.

laurenpressley

Haha, glad to hear I’m not alone!!!

@Ricky, I’d prefer green jasmine, but when avoiding caffeine and really missing the green one, this does in a pinch. The jasmine is pretty strong, so the rooibos is in the background.

I got this a while ago but decided to leave it at work so I would have something Earl Grey-esque to have in the morning. Sure it’s Rooibos based but not noticeable in the smell amongst the dry blend, instead I am picking up an orange perfume. I love orange but this is just too perfumed and dry, not completely disgusting but a bit of a let down.

It smells a little fresher and lighter once steeped and the perfume is toned down and does not overpower the orange and bergamot scents. It smells more like an Earl Grey now definitely.

Flavour wise this is a little citrus bitter and sweet but very perfumed and dry. The rooibos is not coming through very much but it at least keeps the blend light enough to be drinkable. As far as an Earl Grey goes this is an interesting blend that I’m sure someone will love but for me it’s too strong and perfumed. A bitter Earl Grey is a non enjoyable Earl Grey.

Now you can see why I left this at work…

This has a super strong scent – I’m guessing it’s the bergamot? Upfront info: I’m trying to give Earl Grey, a tea I’ve never loved, a second chance.
To me this just tastes like rooibos though. Really nice red rooibos. I’m woefully uneducated on earl gray, I just know it’s never been my favorite (back from bagged tea days), so I’m not sensitive to bergamot, but I’m not tasting it.
A really nice cup of rooibos tea though! But then, I’m a red rooibos nut :)

I love Earl Greay. I have come to this conclusion after drinking several varieties of Earl Greys….just thought you should know that.

And I love rooibos.

So therefore I love this Rooibos Earl Grey.

Very strong flavor. Very wonderful flavor.
I love the citrus scent when you open the bag & then you get that little floral note behind it. Very mellow. Very delicious.

Read the blog about it here –

Overall, I enjoyed it naked…no sugar or any sweeteners or honey. Just Rooibos Earl Grey in the raw. It made a wonderful pot that I enjoyed to the last drop.

Thank you Adagio! You’ve done it again!

Not a fan of this herbal at all. I like gourmand rooibos blends or plain rooibos.

Was dying to try and earl grey tea I had ordered but with the time of night decided to go with the Rooibos Earl Grey since it doesn’t have any caffeine. I found the tea very light and refereshing and now I can’t wait to try a true earl grey.

Very orangey and citrusy, this is more like a citrus rooibos than a rooibos earl grey. Perfectly pleasant, but I won’t seek it out.

I did not enjoy this tea. I don’t like the way the earl grey flavor tasted with the rooibos. It was cloyingly sweet which did not go well with the floral tones. Maybe rooibos isn’t my thing.

I really wanted to try Adagio Teas, and I had one of those free $5 gift cards, so I decided to get a sample pack of this, and it cost 75 cents in total (with shipping. I was so happy). I had really wanted a non-fruit or chamomile or peppermint decaffinated tea because my mom’s allergic to chamomile, and doesn’t like fruit teas very much, and we have a lot of peppermint right now. So I decided on this tea because we both love earl grey and rooibos.
I really like this tea. It sort of is a mini war, because the rooibos is so flavorful, and there is a nice amount of bergamot in here. But it works somehow. It’s sort of like you can taste both the rooibos and the earl grey at different times, but not really working together? I still really love this tea though, and will probably get more of it. I sort of wish there was more bergamot, because I love the bergamot flavor. Still, it’s yummy.

Another Herbal TTB
The aroma of the dry leaf was heavily bergamot’ed, but the flavor was quite smooth.

8 min or more 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML