Rooibos Jasmine

Rooibos Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian

• “I am having some of this tonight, mostly because I started writing a tea review for it months ago, and have had the partial review sitting in my files for a while now, and I need to finish it! ...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4303 tasting notes
  • “When I first got this, I was a really big fan. Over time, I've become less and less interested in it. It's good for a no caffeine jasmine option, but I'll be ready to switch back to regular jasmine...” Read full tasting note
    laurenpressley 796 tasting notes
  • “This tea is a winner. Love the rich, dark red color and pleasant jasmine aroma that just won't quit. It's also got a smooth, sweet taste that lingers on your tongue without getting bitter for a...” Read full tasting note
    coryobrien 104 tasting notes
  • “I'm feeling kind of ho hum about this tea. I love jasmine tea and I'd love to have a good decaf version, but this one isn't grabbing me. The jasmine is more subtle than I am accustomed to, maybe a...” Read full tasting note
    Dustin2Dust 400 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Rooibos tea from South Africa infused with the delicate scent of the night-blooming jasmine flowers. If you enjoy jasmine tea, we urge you to try the sublime taste of its well-made varieties. This unique flavor produces a sweet, caffeine-free cup with a light and lingering scent of fresh jasmine flowers.

About Adagio Teas View company

I am having some of this tonight, mostly because I started writing a tea review for it months ago, and have had the partial review sitting in my files for a while now, and I need to finish it! But, I can’t finish a review for a tea that I haven’t had for many months… my memory isn’t that good!

I remember really liking this when I first tasted it… now I am not loving it quite as much as I once did. It is still alright… but it isn’t as good as I once thought it was. Losing points… It just doesn’t do jasmine flavor justice…

Michelle Butler Hallett

Eeew. My face screwed up just at the title. I can’t imagine this blend working well. Green rooibos, maybe.

Jaime

I almost want to try it…the name’s like a train wreck you just can’t take your eyes off of.

Grinnyguy

Same, that tea sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Rooibos, jasmine, two words that I would associate with tea. But probably not together. Still, I’d love to try it once just to see whether I’m right!

When I first got this, I was a really big fan. Over time, I’ve become less and less interested in it. It’s good for a no caffeine jasmine option, but I’ll be ready to switch back to regular jasmine tea once I’m back in regular tea drinking.

However, I do like it more than most rooibos!

gmathis

Rooibos and jasmine just don’t seem destined to go together—-I like rooibos, but it’s more of a roasty, hearty taste that’s good with vanilla and chocolate and stout flavorings, not something delicate like jasmine.

goodTea

What an interesting idea, to add jasmine to rooibos.

This tea is a winner. Love the rich, dark red color and pleasant jasmine aroma that just won’t quit. It’s also got a smooth, sweet taste that lingers on your tongue without getting bitter for a great combo of color, taste and aroma.

I’m feeling kind of ho hum about this tea. I love jasmine tea and I’d love to have a good decaf version, but this one isn’t grabbing me. The jasmine is more subtle than I am accustomed to, maybe a little on the soapy side. I’m not getting much rooibos, which is good. I could like it. Eh, the verdict is still out.

__Morgana__

I don’t think I’ve had rooibos and jasmine before. Interesting. Wonder if there’s a good green jasmine decaf out there somewhere…

greenteafairy

This sounds like such a strange combination of flavors!

This was one of the stranger offerings in my Adagio herbal sampler. Maybe it’s just me, but rooibos and jasmine just don’t seem to go together; I associated rooibos with sweet (chocolate, vanilla) or spicy (chai) but not florals like jasmine. Ah well, it’ll be an adventure right?

Uhm, not really.

I brewed this approximately to the package instruction although I was a little iffy on the water temperature (the tin said 180 degrees which surprised me as I thought tisane = boiling?). I don’t have a thermometer and I was feeling lazy (damn you paper writing!) so I just let the boiled water sit for a minute or so to cool down a little. Steeped 7 minutes with approximately 1 teaspoon of leaves for a cup of water.

Both the dry leaves and the liquor had a strong jasmine smell with maybe a bit of “woodiness” underneath that I assume was the rooibos. The taste? Pretty much zilch.

When I sipped while breathing in I got the strong jasmine floral scent, but it felt like my taste buds didn’t have anything to work with at all, no matter how much I slurped or swished. When I held my breath there was nothing indicating I wasn’t drinking hot water. Even when I exhaled after a sip the “after taste” was more the scent coming at my nose via my mouth then any true flavour.

I know jasmine teas in general are more about the scent then the taste but other examples that I’ve tried at least had some flavour. My taste buds feel left out.

I like jasmine, but I’ve really only had it as green. This has a nice, floral scent. (And still makes me want steamed rice.) The jasmine flavour comes out a little stronger than I’m used to, but it’s alright.

Though I prefer a jasmine green tea/ rooibos blend (as a cold-brew).

The jasmine in this is overpowering. The tea is drinkable, but barely, and it’s almost too cloying for me to drink. I cannot taste the rooibos at all.

This is what jasmine mummies and daddies warn their little jasmine buds about at night before they sleep. My kitchen smells like a garden and I feel like a cross between a vampire and a hummingbird.

You must, by now, have concluded that this tea is powerfully fragrant and has a very strong flavour. You’d be right on both counts: it’s like drinking a bouquet. If this is jasmine with rooibos (rooibos? what rooibos? there’s rooibos in here?), I reckon I’m in for an interesting experience when I steep the jasmine without rooibos.

Anyway, so ya, if drinking a bouquet doesn’t appeal, stay far away. I loved it; but then, I munched on rose petals when i was a kid. =)

I very surprised at how much I enjoyed this pairing. To me, rooibos is more of a sweet tea that goes with foodier, sweeter flavors. The jasmine is very floral and gives you the perfumey aftertaste but plays remarkably well with the jasmine. A solid option for those who like jasmine scented green teas and such but want to avoid caffeine. However, I do prefer this flavor in a green.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I’m backlogging this just because I can’t believe I’ve never written about how awful this tea is yet. I should have never ignored the other reviewers comment about it being tea in a cup because that’s EXACTLY what it tastes like. A very very strong artificial scent and taste. And the worst part is I have a whole 6 ounces of it to deal with. :‘(
The only reason I haven’t given it an absolute zero is because it didn’t make me vomit, but other than that, its as low as it gets.

Boiling 8 min or more