Honeybush

Honeybush Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian

From Adagio Teas

Honeybush is a sibling of Rooibos, cultivated in South Africa’s Eastern Cape region. Its flowers smell of honey, earning this plant a sweet name. The taste of our organic honeybush tea is similar to that of Rooibos, though arguably a little sweeter. Like it’s South African sibling, Honeybush is devoid of caffeine and tannins, rendering it an ideal evening beverage.

About Adagio Teas View company

This was really interesting. I love rooibos and that is what I was initially comparing it to. When I first smelled the loose leaves, I was kind of baffled – it smelled rather sweet, but also had some other scent I couldn’t really define that was strange (some kind of earthy scent?)
My first brew, I think I added slightly too much water for the amount of leaves. The first cup was different from what I was expecting from the scent. The initial flavours weren’t necessarily sweet but the aftertaste was. It does have kind of a fruity scent and the taste almost has overtones like an herbal fruit tea.
I found that as it cooled, it seemed to taste sweeter and to become less astringent (negligibly so). The scent really seemed to get much sweeter and open up.

ETA: I made a second infusion of this and it actually still tasted pretty good. I steeped it for around 10 minutes which I think really helped make the second cup taste close to the first. The scent was just as strong as the first cup. The flavour was more subtle but still there.
But wow this makes me tired. There is no way I am ever drinking this in the middle of the day. I don’t actually know if I like the way in which this made me sleepy. I feel like I’ve had the world’s longest day.

Earthy with a touch of sweetness. It’s a little astringent. Very woody. It’s really kind of one note. The aroma is slightly floral and might be nice to combine with other teas. I don’t hate it but I don’t really like it either. It is somewhat improved when iced.

First time I had honeybush I didn’t like it so much, but I think I appreciate it now. The flavors are not nearly as complex as other teas, but they’re simple, smooth, and sweet. It’s worth drinking from time to time for that reason alone- a simple, unique tea.

I expected this to be sweeter than rooibos, but instead I got the “woody” and “medicinal” flavors that I’ve always read about in rooibos, but never experienced myself. I’ll give it a few more tries, but I wasn’t thrilled.

First time trying a honeybush. The aroma is almost nauseating. Smells… mulchy? Not sure what that is, but it’s unpleasant. The taste, however, is sweet, woody, and has a slight hint of… banana peel? This is a very unusual experience. There’s a bit of a cooling effect shortly after swallowing. This might make a good base for a fruity blend, but that’s not really my thing. I’ve got some more left in the sample, I’ll have another go. The aftertaste almost makes the smell worth bearing.

This was my first time trying honeybush and I just don’t like it. It smells cloyingly medicinal and tastes like something we should not have decided to eat. Luckily, I bought only a sample and my girlfriend liked it, so it won’t go to waste. I tried it plain and sweetened but it just wasn’t right for me. I didn’t finish the cup, a rarity. I haven’t added a numeric rating because I don’t know if this is a ‘good’ honeybush.

This tea is what keeps me coming back to Adagio over and over again(with ample samples of others!). It has a very mild sweetness that doesn’t require extra sweetener, though I sometimes add a bit for an extra special treat. The smell is quite deceiving, as it tastes nothing like how you’d think from sniffing it. It smells like cheap spices and wood. I was very pleasantly surprised after taking my first sip. This is my favorite tea!

This is fantastic. Really lovely, soft flavor.

Personally I’m not sure what to think about the comment of Honeybush being very close to Rooibos as while I do not like Rooibos, must be the sweeter honey like notes in Honeybush that make it more enjoyable to me. While Honeybush is my caffeine-free tea of choice that I find enjoyable, quite honestly I would much rather be drinking a nice oolong or ripe puerh if at all possible depending upon the time of day.

I got a sample of this because even though I did enjoy Rooibos, I found the flavor a bit dull and uninspiring. Well, when I first opened the container, I thought this sort of smelled a bit like tobacco with a hint of…a sickly sweet, almost spoiled smell maybe? A proper description of the smell eludes me. When brewed however, it mellows out with a very pleasant and sweet aroma and taste that only gets better the longer it’s steeped. I usually let it steep for at least 10 minutes.

Like Rooibos, this plant has an insane amount of supposed health benefits (via antioxidants, nutrients and more) and lacks the tannins oxalates and caffeine of tea.

Both Honeybush and Rooibos are 100% great for insomnia, relaxation and reducing anxiety, especially when combined with Lemongrass. The combo will knock me out in 10-15 minutes after the first cup, especially if I’m already laying down.

200 °F / 93 °C 8 min or more