Honeybush Hazelnut

Herbal Honeybush Blend
Hazelnut, Vanilla, Wood, Bark, Honey, Nutty, Cedar, Nuts, Smooth, Sweet
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by rosebudmelissa

From Adagio Teas

Hazelnut is often paired with chocolates and other confections due to their sweet flavor, creating a decadent treat. This pairing of sweet honeybush and hazelnut is no exception. Enjoy this flavorful caffeine-free tea any time of the day!

About Adagio Teas View company

This was..interesting. I’m not really a fan of red teas. The dry aroma was very woodsy, almost dusty with strong hazelnut overtones. The hazelnut really popped while steeping and was present in the final liquor with a very mild flavor of the same. I was expecting a sweeter too, but had to add some agave. I can’t see myself drinking this every day – or even weekly.

I agree with what some others have said — I wish it had a little more taste. But the dry aroma is incredible!

This is a great tea for hazelnut lovers. My husband, who knows nothing about tea, commented that the tea I was drinking smelled very hazelnut-y. Light, but yet has a good amount of flavor. I will buy more of this one when it’s gone. Prepared with stevia.

I’m not one who actually likes hazelnut, so much in fact that when I saw this in my sampler I tried to get Adagio to exchange it. But I guess they meant for me to keep it since they never got back to me about returning it when the other tea arrived.

I decided to try it anyway, prepared a cup in my usual way, and I was pleasantly surprised by this tea. I did like the smell when I first got it, but going on previous hazelnut tastings (smell good, taste bad), I didn’t trust it and hid it in the back of the cabinet. I guess it has that ‘nutty’ flavor the other reviews talk about. I usually add a teaspoon or two of sugar to my teas, which really brings out the flavor (for me, I know sugar for some is blasphemy). I’ll probably try mixing it with either the chocolate, vanilla, or plain next time.

Mmmm, this is a bedtime tea. The tin smells like fancy flavored coffee (aka hazelnut), the taste is much milder (of course – it’s honeybush), and the aftertaste is the best part. Close your mouth, exhale through your nose, and feel your mouth water for more. This is fairly subtle, with no real tea, but sweet and delightful. The hazelnut and honeybush really blend well.

Boiling 8 min or more

I’m generally not a fan of honeybush or roobois (tastes like cardboard), but this one is pretty okay. Can’t say it’ll ever be a favorite but of the honeybush I’ve tried, this is the best. It makes me think of a heavily doctored cup of coffee – in a good way.

Overboard Traveling tea box

Hmm, I’m pleasantly surprised with this one. Unsweetened, it was something I wouldn’t mind drinking, but adding a touch of sweetener really brought the hazelnut out and covered up the remains of the rooibos taste. I wonder how this would taste with some cacao thrown in… hmmmm. Might have to keep this one for experimental purposes.

(omg the remains of the first steep with a tsp of cacao husks and a tsp of cacao nibs and some sweetener is… really yummy)

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
rosebudmelissa

That does sound delicious! Where did you get your cacao husks and nibs?

jeweledthumb

@rosebudmelissa: The nibs you can get at any “gourmet” or specialty grocery store – although I often find them cheaper at HomeGoods (or Marshalls/Tjmaxx). The husks, on the other hand are a slightly bigger pain to get a hold of, even though they are the casts off in the chocolate making process. There are a few brands that sell husks: Herbal Infusions, Tisano, Teaobroma, though I’m sure there are others.

rosebudmelissa

Thanks! I love chocolate, so I think I may have to look into this. I noticed that there’s a discussion about chocolate tea, where someone mentioned that the shells have a lot more flavor. Do the nibs add much to the flavor in your opinion, or should I just go for the shells? And do you know anything about how they compare to brewing chocolate like Crio Bru? (can you tell I got distracted researching this after I asked my question? :)

jeweledthumb

@rosebudmelissa: In my opinion the nibs add some flavor, but not a heck of a lot and the husks and the nibs need to be steeped for a long time before you get much flavor, and when you get flavor, it’s not sweet chocolate like many would expect, so I almost always add some sweetener. I did a LOT of research on the husks myself… in fact, I wrote a lot about it in this tasting note (http://steepster.com/jeweledthumb/posts/231665#likes). I’m half tempted to buy the beans, roast them myself and get the husks for tea and have a (probably horrible) attempt at the chocolate making process just to see.

(You don’t want to know how many articles and youtube videos I watched on the chocolate making process after trying “chocolate tea” for the first time – so I totally understand!). When I learned that the husks are the cast offs, I was really annoyed that the “chocolate tea” is so expensive. Most places probably get the husks for free or close to it!

rosebudmelissa

Thanks for the information. I look forward to trying it out for myself.

I truly liked this tea.
It reminded me of Nutella.
How can you go wrong with a tea that tastes like Nutella?
Very comforting.

Flavors: Hazelnut, Vanilla

I love this tea. I bought sample baggies of Adagio’s black Hazelnut tea and this one at the same time, and this one was definitely my favourite. The black tea was quite nice and hazelnutty when brewed quite strong and then with milk and sugar, whereas this one is just wonderfully hazelnutty on its own without much fuss. No bitterness, a lot of hazelnut, and a bit of something else that gives it depth. I’d take it that’s the honeybush, but as this is the only honeybush I’ve tried, I can’t really judge. I’m sure to try more, though! I think I definitely prefer honeybush to rooibos.

That’s it! No more honeybush til I get a better infuser! It’s insane just how much of this I ended up chewing….it’s a good thing it tasted good. I think I would rather blend this with something than to drink it straight, but I was very pleasantly surprised with its flavor. It would pair wonderfully with chocolate flavors. I’m going to try making a cup of this mixed with a bit of the Cream sample that I also got from Adagio. This also makes me want to try their black tea version of hazelnut. It’s certainly nice to have a cup of this sitting nearby just to smell it!