Jasmine Phoenix Pearls

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by moraiwe

From Adagio Teas

jasmine phoenix pearls (#12)
hand-made by farmer Lin Chui Feng in Fu Ding, Fu Jian Province
Perfumy hand-rolled tea from Fuding, in Fujian province, China. Any fan of jasmine tea should try this specially crafted wonder. When added to hot water, the pearls majestically unfurl, releasing their delicate scent and flavor. Sweet and almost sugary. Very soft, airy mouthfeel. The delicate quality of the flavor is due in part to the leaves used to produce this tea: two tender, tiny new leaves and one plump unopened leaf bud. Younger leaves will yield softer flavor.

Steep at 195° for 2-3 minutes.

About Adagio Teas View company

1941 tasting notes

Sipdown, 187. I honestly cannot remember who I got this sample from. I think it was Rachel Sincere, but I’m not certain. Sorry about that, and thanks, swap buddy. I used to try all the samples I got in swaps right away, but now I sit on them for a while and forget who they came from.

There are surprisingly few reviews for this tea given how popular Adagio is in general. I think I know why. These have got to be the most overly perfumy jasmine pearls I’ve ever had. Not even just very strong jasmine (which I am of course a fan of) but jasmine to an extreme, to a point where it hardly tastes like jasmine anymore. I would have to say if you are looking for a good jasmine pearl, this is not one to investigate.

Athena Smith

Can you recommend a good Jasmine tea since you find that Adagio’s Phoenix Pearls are not the greatest?

Dinosara

Outstanding pearls (at a great price too) can be had from Teavivre (http://www.teavivre.com). Definitey some of the best pearls I’ve ever had, I highly recommend them.

It’s very tasty. Today I feel the Jasmine is very over powering but this usually isn’t a problem so I think today is just an off day.

Like I’ve said before, I’m not a fan of green tea. The first time I tried this, I think I brewed it way too hot and steeped it for a bit too long. It was bitter after the first cup.
When re-steeping, I used a lower temperature water, less water, and steeped for shorter. I still had to douse it in sugar and honey to make it taste good.

Not the best I’ve had by any means.

Stephanie

Wow, bummer! Pearls are my fav!

So I had two cups of this tea today, the first prepared at 195ºF and steeped for 2 minutes, the second resteeped at the same temp for 3 minutes. The aroma of jasmine in the first cup was very strong and it had a nip of astringency to it, but still one of the best cups of tea I have ever had. The second cup however, is where this tea really shines. Resteeping the leaves toned down the jasmine and let some of the more delicate tea aroma come into play, also any trace of astringency was gone. The taste was a little muted (as is expected) but still amazing!

HHTTB Round 3

Eh. Not a jasmine tea I would look forward to drinking again. It has not quite bitter, but just off putting aftertaste. the jasmine isn’t very strong, but it’s also not very interesting. I didn’t feel like this one has the depth of flavor that so many other jasmine teas have. This one is a dud for me.

These smell floral and delicious, and are great for multiple resteeps. I prefer it hot. I particularly like that it isn’t overpowering jasmine.

Very aromatic tea—-sort of a soapy, pleasant jasmine scent in the cup—-with a light amber liquor. It is nice for an evening cup. It’s also quite fun to watch the leaves unfurl as they steep, so I recommend a clear vessel.

It tastes better than it smells. I was a little worried at first because the smell is very overpowering, in my opinion, but was pleasantly surprised by the taste.