Jasmine Phoenix Pearls

Green Tea
Jasmine
Edit tea info Last updated by moraiwe

From Adagio Teas

jasmine phoenix pearls (#12)
hand-made by farmer Lin Chui Feng in Fu Ding, Fu Jian Province
Perfumy hand-rolled tea from Fuding, in Fujian province, China. Any fan of jasmine tea should try this specially crafted wonder. When added to hot water, the pearls majestically unfurl, releasing their delicate scent and flavor. Sweet and almost sugary. Very soft, airy mouthfeel. The delicate quality of the flavor is due in part to the leaves used to produce this tea: two tender, tiny new leaves and one plump unopened leaf bud. Younger leaves will yield softer flavor.

Steep at 195° for 2-3 minutes.

About Adagio Teas View company

1994 tasting notes

Sipdown, 187. I honestly cannot remember who I got this sample from. I think it was Rachel Sincere, but I’m not certain. Sorry about that, and thanks, swap buddy. I used to try all the samples I got in swaps right away, but now I sit on them for a while and forget who they came from.

There are surprisingly few reviews for this tea given how popular Adagio is in general. I think I know why. These have got to be the most overly perfumy jasmine pearls I’ve ever had. Not even just very strong jasmine (which I am of course a fan of) but jasmine to an extreme, to a point where it hardly tastes like jasmine anymore. I would have to say if you are looking for a good jasmine pearl, this is not one to investigate.

Athena Smith

Can you recommend a good Jasmine tea since you find that Adagio’s Phoenix Pearls are not the greatest?

Dinosara

Outstanding pearls (at a great price too) can be had from Teavivre (http://www.teavivre.com). Definitey some of the best pearls I’ve ever had, I highly recommend them.

It’s very tasty. Today I feel the Jasmine is very over powering but this usually isn’t a problem so I think today is just an off day.

Like I’ve said before, I’m not a fan of green tea. The first time I tried this, I think I brewed it way too hot and steeped it for a bit too long. It was bitter after the first cup.
When re-steeping, I used a lower temperature water, less water, and steeped for shorter. I still had to douse it in sugar and honey to make it taste good.

Not the best I’ve had by any means.

Stephanie

Wow, bummer! Pearls are my fav!

So I had two cups of this tea today, the first prepared at 195ºF and steeped for 2 minutes, the second resteeped at the same temp for 3 minutes. The aroma of jasmine in the first cup was very strong and it had a nip of astringency to it, but still one of the best cups of tea I have ever had. The second cup however, is where this tea really shines. Resteeping the leaves toned down the jasmine and let some of the more delicate tea aroma come into play, also any trace of astringency was gone. The taste was a little muted (as is expected) but still amazing!

I’ve been rolling in Jasmine pearls lately, trying to find the ideal one for me, so I have a pretty diverse and fairly recent frame of reference for this one.

I’ll save you the long spiel. If you’ve had jasmine pearls you know what to expect. What makes this one unique from others is that the flavor is mellow and registers on the cocoa/nutty side with light floral, as opposed to the more fragrant and heady or fruity and sweet jasmine teas. Definitely not soapy or anything like that. This one is smooth and a little creamy. It’s not my favorite, but pretty good. :3

TeaBrat

just curious, which one is your favorite?

Lion

While I don’t have any now to verify that I definitely feel this way, I remember the last of the two samples of Steepster Select’s jasmine pearls were kind of mind-blowing, and they sell them in the store here but they are a pretty penny.

Currently the one I have at home and enjoy the most is from Yezi Tea. :3

Lion

I guess it’s a little unfair to say the steepster one is a pretty penny. It’s not badly priced, but with shipping it is sort of on the high end. You’ve got to be ready to invest in 100g of it.

Lion

As far as the taste of the Steepster one… it had a really light and refreshing flavor that reminds me of pink bubble gum. The Yezi one is a little more on the mellow creamy side with subtle hints of cocoa, like the Adagio one, but Yezi’s has a little more sweet floral note on the top.

TeaBrat

good to know, thanks :)

Loved the jasmine flavor in this tea but I find that it isn’t as fragrant as the white jasmine I tried yesterday. Still delicious though. I didn’t over brew it this time so it doesn’t taste bitter at all! Will have to try the Teavivre Jasmine Pearls next and will compare!

Flavors: Jasmine

Backlog:

A really good Jasmine Pearl. The jasmine is soft and sweet. The green tea is has a light, fresh taste that marries nicely with the exotic flavors of jasmine. Beautifully floral and sweet.

A good jasmine pearl. Not the best pearl I’ve had, but it’s a good one.

HHTTB Round 3

Eh. Not a jasmine tea I would look forward to drinking again. It has not quite bitter, but just off putting aftertaste. the jasmine isn’t very strong, but it’s also not very interesting. I didn’t feel like this one has the depth of flavor that so many other jasmine teas have. This one is a dud for me.

These smell floral and delicious, and are great for multiple resteeps. I prefer it hot. I particularly like that it isn’t overpowering jasmine.

Very aromatic tea—-sort of a soapy, pleasant jasmine scent in the cup—-with a light amber liquor. It is nice for an evening cup. It’s also quite fun to watch the leaves unfurl as they steep, so I recommend a clear vessel.