Decaf Earl Grey

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from Ceylon, decaffeinated using a superior CO-2 process. The latter is all natural and gentle, allowing tea leaves retain their delicate shape and flavor. Flavored with bergamot, a citrus fruit. Makes a tasty cup of tea, both hot and iced.

About Adagio Teas View company

I finished this off last night! FINALLY! It has been so long. I think I bought a HUGE amount of this, and it took me so long to finish it. It is a great tea, especially when I don’t steep it for very long.

I wanted something tea-like, but with low caffeine, so this is what I ended up with. It ended up being a fitting choice as we just watched the first episode of MI5. However, I didn’t just have this plain as I typically do. I had read someone’s tasting note (I’m sorry, I forget who!) about adding some sugar and just a touch of milk to their Earl Grey, so I gave that a go with agave nectar and soymilk. Yum! And, I might actually prefer that for this decaf cup. Decaf never tastes like Real Tea to me, so it’s nice to mask that a bit.

Carolyn

I am in constant search of good decaf teas. I’ve found that Upton Tea Imports has some nice ones. Even their plain decaf Assam is pretty good. Though I prefer their flavored decafs and especially their Chai Agni.

laurenpressley

Thanks for the tip!! I’ll have to check that out!

Jillian

I think it also depends on the decaffination method used – I think the CO2 method of extratcion is suppose to the be the best one for preserving flavour and nutrients.

laurenpressley

Good point, Jillian! This is a CO2 one, but still doesn’t taste the way I expect tea to drink when I have it plain. :/

takgoti

Oooh, yes, I second the Chai Agni.

laurenpressley

Okay, thanks to @Caroyn & @takgoti, Chai Agni is now on my shopping list! :)

Last cup of the evening. Today has been a busy day. The fiancee got home from St. Louis late last night and I’m leaving Tuesday morning for the beach, so we had a lot of house paperwork to get organized while we were together. We were able to go to the pool for a little while, which was nice.

I love Adagio’s Earl Grey Moonlight, and was hoping this would at least be a little similar. The dry leaves and the tea both smell very light. The initial flavor is a little dissapointing because it has that cardboard-like taste from decaf teas. I found that the bergamot and citrus flavors were very light. The milk and sweetener helped to mask the stale cardboard flavor, but didn’t do much to improve the earl grey flavors. Overall, this is an ok cup. I will probably only finish the sample pack because it is decaf and I can have it right before bed.

-Dry blend has medium black tea leaves and twigs with pieces of dried orange peel and small blue petals.
-Dry leaves smell softly of bergamot. Tea liquor aroma is of very light citrus.
-Tea liquor is a clear very dark brown color.
-Cardboard malty flavor with a citrusy finish. Light bergamot aftertaste.
-Best with milk and sweetener.
-Good tea. Odd flavor from the decaf black tea with a faint hint of bergamot and citrus.

Serenity

Yes, that cardboardy taste! Oh, decaf teas…I keep trying!

Josie Jade

Me too, Serenity! I like Adagio’s decaf raspberry and decaf tropics, though!

Enjoyed a cup with my wife this evening…. It’s now her “ask for” cup of tea.

First loose leaf earl grey I’ve ever tried, and while I liked it (especially on the second steep), there’s one thing about it that’s just…really strange to me.
It smells like Fruit Loops.
Myself, my boyfriend and roommate all agreed that it seriously smells like Fruit Loops tea. Tastes wonderful but holy crap, that smell caught me off guard.

debidoodle

It is so funny you said this … whenever I am drinking Earl Grey, that is the first thing my husband says “Drinkin’ some Fruit Loops tea huh?” Cracks me up every time :)

Great EG for the evening. Quick steep, perfect body, nice flavor without being overbearing. Can be used with or without cream and sugar on first and second steeps. It only took one and a half teaspoons of this to make a nice, strong 12 oz. cup of tea. Ideal EG. I’m in love.

I had to go with decaf because of the late hour, but I didn’t want to compromise on flavor.

Next to lapsang, Earl Grey might be my favorite style of tea. This one is nicely balanced in fragrance. The citrusy bergamot doesn’t overpower the tea base. From a visual perspective, it could use a little more peel and cornflower petal but this doesn’t impact the flavor.

Even though this is a decaf version, it is full bodied and brews to a hearty black with a lot of flavor. I don’t do additives, but I imagine a bit of cream and sugar probably wouldn’t hurt. If you have to do decaf, this one is worthwhile.

Over ice with lemon. Fantastic.

So disappointed. It’s definitely not bad tea, but I like Adagio and was hoping they’d be my decaf earl grey source. Unfortunately, this tea pales in comparison to other offerings I’ve tasted, barely registering any difference from Twining’s bagged dust decaf earl grey.

This is a bit strong for me! I think it’s the added “natural earl grey flavor.” I’m going to have to either mix it with some plain decaf ceylon, or perhaps do a quick initial soak in the hopes of washing some of the added flavoring off. The other earl greys I’ve had have mostly been caffeinated, and they were better balanced flavor-wise. I can barely taste the tea. Inveterate earl grey drinkers may like this more than I do – for me it is too much of a good thing.