Assam Melody

Malt, Sweet, Bitter
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
Edit tea info Last updated by IllBeMother221B

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from the Assam region of India. Assam tea brews up a burgundy-red cup with rich aroma and strong malty taste. The latter makes Assam an ideal breakfast-time tea. The ‘Assam Melody’ is a flavorful second-flush (summer) tea from the well-regarded Meleng estate.

About Adagio Teas View company

Adagio Teas has become one of the most popular destinations for tea online. Its products are available online at and in many gourmet and health food stores.

Love this tea. It’s a nice, hearty, plain tea. It’s slightly sweet and not at all bitter.

Flavors: Malt, Sweet

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Dry leaves smell like blueberries, dry moss, and an herb store. Once brewed, the color is a bit like an orange oak finished wood. Smells in the grain and malt region. What I like about it is it doesn’t have biting bitterness. I taste some malty, some sweet. Astringency that leaves my mouth watering after I’ve finished the swallow. Lingering hints of caramelized fruit (banana or yam maybe?) maybe along with that bit of bitter astringency. But really, the bitterness is subtle. I like it better than their Assam Harmony. Basically, this tastes like a nice, enjoyable Earl Grey, without the bergamot… which I suppose is what a nice Earl Grey is.

The smell of the dry leaves reminded me of a high quality tobacco shop I walked into in Bath, England, just down the street from Bath Abbey and the Ancient Roman baths. So I popped over to a cigar aficionado website. Black tea aroma has a lot in common with cigar store aroma, to me. Certainly different things come out stronger in the tea. It may also be that I had a lot of tea when in Bath, so I’m just relating the two in my brain.

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 15 sec 4 g 16 OZ / 480 ML

This tea is good, but not my favorite assam. I’ll have to try adjusting the steeping time and amount some. I followed the recommendations but it was too bitter.

This is a good Indian black tea if you looking for something that isn’t going to be chalked full of bitterness. They claim to have notes of raisins but honestly I don’t taste it… However, I do enjoy the light malty flavor it offers!

I would suggest this tea if you are new to Indian blacks (which I am). This will give you an idea if you need to go sweeter (Maybe a nimbu) or if you need to go more bitter with a straight Darjeeling. Maybe you need to stay about from Indian blacks and stick with the more sweet flavors in Chinese blacks.

I don’t particularly think I would like anything much more intense then this. I don’t like it as much as a nimbu, but I do like it more than some of the more bitter Darjeelings I have tried. Overall I would purchase this tea again but am also looking forward to experimenting with more assams.

Please give me some recommendations if you know of any particularly good assam teas!

Flavors: Bitter, Malt, Sweet

I just tried No. 49 Assam FTGFOP1 and LOVED it! :D

Nick Boehm

That is some crazy name…Did you find that on Steepster?

Yeah, through Steepster. Oh I forgot to Mention. It’s by Steven Smith Teamaker. xD Haha-sorry about that. :P Was pretty good though. Tried some Assam from Golden Tips that was pretty good too, OH! I almost forgot. And Assam #8 from Tealux is one of my favorites!

Nick Boehm

Oh, thank you so much for your thoughtful reply! I am eager to try these out now!

Yeah! Enjoy! And if you ever find a super good assam, give me the heads up! I am on a quest to find the best Assam out there. :O I like the malty ones best :O

Delicious, makes for the perfect unsweetened iced tea!

A mid Assam with almost overtones of Darjeeling bringing a slight fragrant taste. There’s very little aroma on the nose, but lots of taste lingering on the tongue. Seems to need a splash of milk to control it, and a shorter brew time might not be strong enough.

3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

Thanks so much TeaTiff for selling some teas! I couldn’t resist! A few always perfect-for-me Adagio teas. I woke up thinking of an assam just like this one! I’ve never even had this tea before and it was perfect for my craving. The one tea that would have been perfect in my entire collection!

Steep #1 // 2 min after boiling // 3 min
SUCH a delicious cup! Malty, a tiny bit brisk, hints of dark chocolate. Everything an assam should be. I feel like there could have been a bit more chewiness or robustness of flavor, but that could probably be arranged with a minute longer steep or some more leaves (used a teaspoon).

Steep #2 // just boiled // 3 min
Another nice cup, but weaker than the last, when the last cup already had the problem. But as I said, it’s the amount of leaves or the time I steeped. I love this tea. Adagio is just usually perfect for me. Gorgeous teas all the time, all the time. Adagio might not be for everyone but they are for ME. If I could only order from one tea company for the rest of my life, Adagio would very well be in the running. And they have all of those fandom blends to support my nerdy love of all the things.

Sami Kelsh

OH GOD THIS TEA, I MISS IT SO MUCH. I usually give it 4 minutes, and I think that might make the difference for you in terms of chewiness. It’s got some lovely notes in it. Man, I hope I get enough folks to do an Adagio UK fandork tea group run soon, because I’m seriously dying without some of my staples, and this is absolutely one of them. So good.

haha :D I’ll try 4 next time!

I’ve got 500 words to write and edit and hope for the best by 5 today, so I’m funneling tea into myself until this short story writes itself. And nothing says “ferchrissakes, Kelsh, get writing” like a nice, rich, Assam. I like this one a lot – it’s malty and figgy and just a really good solid cuppa. It’s also making me forget about the fact that I’ve had a sore throat for like a month. This is good.

Another sample courtesy of jump62359. As a caveat, I haven’t had much in the way of assam before. My experiences with Adagio have also been fairly mixed, but I actually enjoyed this one. This had a malted flavor, almost chocolate-y in its strength and smoothness. I expected more bitterness after I let it sit for a bit, but it seemed to maintain that same level of flavor fairly well. I don’t think it’s necessarily a unique taste sensation or anything, but it held its own. My friend recommended a homemade chai recipe to me recently that requires some black tea as its base. I think this would be a decent candidate for it, since it wouldn’t overpower the spices.

I received this in the box of DAVID"S tea that I purchased from TeaPet. Thank you for adding this one in.

This is a decent cup. I must have brewed this a little too long. It was pretty astringent for me. I added a bit of milk and it did the trick for the morning cup.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML