Assam Melody

Assam Black Tea
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
High
Edit tea info Last updated by The Purrfect Cup

• “And the sip down continues... Another grumpy morning, I still feel like I'm fighting something, even though I don't actually feel sick. Monday it was trying to hit my lungs & throat, yesterday it...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2498 tasting notes
  • “As the determined waves of jetlag begin to erode my consciousness to the point where I can't spell "consciousness" properly until the fifth or so try, it becomes clear that there is only _one_ tea...” Read full tasting note
    chibibigos 382 tasting notes
  • “Woof. Do NOT let this stuff oversteep. I got my cup together to steep and got distracted - now it's bitter. Blergh. Even added more splenda and it's not helping. I made bad tea :( I'm still...” Read full tasting note
    Skulleigh 220 tasting notes
  • “Oh boy oh boy oh boy!!! (No, not for this tea...though it's pretty good! This excitement is due to my Adagio order arriving today. It's my first go-around with them (re: teanewbie), and so I...” Read full tasting note
    sophistre 158 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from the Assam region of India. Assam tea brews up a burgundy-red cup with rich aroma and strong malty taste. The latter makes Assam an ideal breakfast-time tea. The ‘Assam Melody’ is a flavorful second-flush (summer) tea from the well-regarded Meleng estate.

About Adagio Teas View company

Thanks so much TeaTiff for selling some teas! I couldn’t resist! A few always perfect-for-me Adagio teas. I woke up thinking of an assam just like this one! I’ve never even had this tea before and it was perfect for my craving. The one tea that would have been perfect in my entire collection!

Steep #1 // 2 min after boiling // 3 min
SUCH a delicious cup! Malty, a tiny bit brisk, hints of dark chocolate. Everything an assam should be. I feel like there could have been a bit more chewiness or robustness of flavor, but that could probably be arranged with a minute longer steep or some more leaves (used a teaspoon).

Steep #2 // just boiled // 3 min
Another nice cup, but weaker than the last, when the last cup already had the problem. But as I said, it’s the amount of leaves or the time I steeped. I love this tea. Adagio is just usually perfect for me. Gorgeous teas all the time, all the time. Adagio might not be for everyone but they are for ME. If I could only order from one tea company for the rest of my life, Adagio would very well be in the running. And they have all of those fandom blends to support my nerdy love of all the things.

Sami Kelsh

OH GOD THIS TEA, I MISS IT SO MUCH. I usually give it 4 minutes, and I think that might make the difference for you in terms of chewiness. It’s got some lovely notes in it. Man, I hope I get enough folks to do an Adagio UK fandork tea group run soon, because I’m seriously dying without some of my staples, and this is absolutely one of them. So good.

Tea Sipper

haha :D I’ll try 4 next time!

I’ve got 500 words to write and edit and hope for the best by 5 today, so I’m funneling tea into myself until this short story writes itself. And nothing says “ferchrissakes, Kelsh, get writing” like a nice, rich, Assam. I like this one a lot – it’s malty and figgy and just a really good solid cuppa. It’s also making me forget about the fact that I’ve had a sore throat for like a month. This is good.

Another sample courtesy of jump62359. As a caveat, I haven’t had much in the way of assam before. My experiences with Adagio have also been fairly mixed, but I actually enjoyed this one. This had a malted flavor, almost chocolate-y in its strength and smoothness. I expected more bitterness after I let it sit for a bit, but it seemed to maintain that same level of flavor fairly well. I don’t think it’s necessarily a unique taste sensation or anything, but it held its own. My friend recommended a homemade chai recipe to me recently that requires some black tea as its base. I think this would be a decent candidate for it, since it wouldn’t overpower the spices.

I received this in the box of DAVID"S tea that I purchased from TeaPet. Thank you for adding this one in.

This is a decent cup. I must have brewed this a little too long. It was pretty astringent for me. I added a bit of milk and it did the trick for the morning cup.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

This has remarkably fruity top notes, and a rich base without being overpoweringly malty. Not exactly what I was expecting from an Assam, but quite nice.

Beautiful smell while brewing. Definitely malty, with smooth raisin-y flavour, and just the slightest hint of dry smokiness in the aftertaste. Strong, but not bitter at all. It’s very nice, but I’m not a big fan of raisin notes in my tea now.

Smooth, mild, and kind of boring. Once I finish this batch I won’t be getting more.

Not a very strong tea at all. What little flavor it does have is nice, though, and it is smooth. It’s easy to drink and gets better the more you drink it. It would go nicely with milk and sugar/honey.

This tea was given to me in March of 2012 by a friend hoping to addict me to loose-leaf tea—and this tea was part of what hooked me. I didn’t know what to make of it on first sip. It grew on me as I drank more, seemed to have a complexity other teas lacked. I also found this is one tea that really tastes its best with milk—dairy or soy. Other teas might stand up to milk, this one I think is enhanced with it. And I usually prefer my teas without. Later my friend sent me another Assam (Gingia Estate) from TeaSource. And though I’ve found since I usually prefer TeaSource’s teas to those from Adagio, in this case I think Adagio’s Assam Melody has the edge.

Brewed 6 grams for 4:45 – 5 minutes in 16 ounces of boiling water. Not quite right (but still good.) Need to fine tune. Second brew 5 minutes, boiling water and good. Third brew 6:30 and boiling water and good warm/cold not hot. Next time 7-8 grams of tea.