Assam Melody

Astringent, Malt, Sweet, Bitter
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
Edit tea info Last updated by IllBeMother221B

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from the Assam region of India. Assam tea brews up a burgundy-red cup with rich aroma and strong malty taste. The latter makes Assam an ideal breakfast-time tea. The ‘Assam Melody’ is a flavorful second-flush (summer) tea from the well-regarded Meleng estate.

About Adagio Teas View company

Adagio Teas has become one of the most popular destinations for tea online. Its products are available online at and in many gourmet and health food stores.

I’ve got 500 words to write and edit and hope for the best by 5 today, so I’m funneling tea into myself until this short story writes itself. And nothing says “ferchrissakes, Kelsh, get writing” like a nice, rich, Assam. I like this one a lot – it’s malty and figgy and just a really good solid cuppa. It’s also making me forget about the fact that I’ve had a sore throat for like a month. This is good.

Another sample courtesy of jump62359. As a caveat, I haven’t had much in the way of assam before. My experiences with Adagio have also been fairly mixed, but I actually enjoyed this one. This had a malted flavor, almost chocolate-y in its strength and smoothness. I expected more bitterness after I let it sit for a bit, but it seemed to maintain that same level of flavor fairly well. I don’t think it’s necessarily a unique taste sensation or anything, but it held its own. My friend recommended a homemade chai recipe to me recently that requires some black tea as its base. I think this would be a decent candidate for it, since it wouldn’t overpower the spices.

I received this in the box of DAVID"S tea that I purchased from TeaPet. Thank you for adding this one in.

This is a decent cup. I must have brewed this a little too long. It was pretty astringent for me. I added a bit of milk and it did the trick for the morning cup.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

This has remarkably fruity top notes, and a rich base without being overpoweringly malty. Not exactly what I was expecting from an Assam, but quite nice.

Beautiful smell while brewing. Definitely malty, with smooth raisin-y flavour, and just the slightest hint of dry smokiness in the aftertaste. Strong, but not bitter at all. It’s very nice, but I’m not a big fan of raisin notes in my tea now.

Smooth, mild, and kind of boring. Once I finish this batch I won’t be getting more.

Not a very strong tea at all. What little flavor it does have is nice, though, and it is smooth. It’s easy to drink and gets better the more you drink it. It would go nicely with milk and sugar/honey.

This tea was given to me in March of 2012 by a friend hoping to addict me to loose-leaf tea—and this tea was part of what hooked me. I didn’t know what to make of it on first sip. It grew on me as I drank more, seemed to have a complexity other teas lacked. I also found this is one tea that really tastes its best with milk—dairy or soy. Other teas might stand up to milk, this one I think is enhanced with it. And I usually prefer my teas without. Later my friend sent me another Assam (Gingia Estate) from TeaSource. And though I’ve found since I usually prefer TeaSource’s teas to those from Adagio, in this case I think Adagio’s Assam Melody has the edge.

Brewed 6 grams for 4:45 – 5 minutes in 16 ounces of boiling water. Not quite right (but still good.) Need to fine tune. Second brew 5 minutes, boiling water and good. Third brew 6:30 and boiling water and good warm/cold not hot. Next time 7-8 grams of tea.

The best thing about this tea is the aroma that stays in mouth after you drink it. Very smooth and tasteful.