Silver Needle

White Tea
Floral
Edit tea info Last updated by MacchaMan

• “Dear Silver Needle: Thank you for keeping me company on my commute this morning. I very much appreciated that you were not planty or heavy, like your colleague, White Symphony. Thank you for...” Read full tasting note
    __Morgana__ 951 tasting notes
  • “So, I didn't get to *taste* this infusion, but this tea absolutely saved me today. I crushed my finger in the automatic car window today and broke the bone. Serious serious pain. Also, gross...” Read full tasting note
    BlueKittyMeow 124 tasting notes
  • “Soooo. I forgot about this one while I was steeping it. Like I acknowledged the timer, and flipped it off, and then somehow I let the tea keep steeping. So it went about 5-6 minutes. Luckily,...” Read full tasting note
    moraiwe 616 tasting notes
  • “I've tried this before in a sample pack I had back when I first started drinking whole leaf tea. I didn't write a note, though. It might actually have been before I joined Steepster. Anyway, Silver...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 914 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Description

White tea from China. Silver Needle is among the most revered of Chinese teas, produced in the Fuding and Zhenhe districts of its Fujian province. Gathered only in the few days of early spring, the preparation of this tea is governed by strict requirements to ensure a premium product. This dedication to perfection is evident in the cup, which is sweet and delicate with a clean, airy fragrance. Our ‘Sublime Needle’ is a Special Grade (Bai Hao) version of this exquisite tea.

About Adagio Teas View company

Sipdown! (106)

I’m so glad to get rid of this tea. Not because it’s terrible, but because it’s SO old! Okay well, not terribly old, but just older than all the other teas that I own.
I bought the white teas sampler pack from Adagio because I was a relatively new tea drinker when I bought this tea. Never had oolong, no whites, just started drinking rooibos and blacks. Pretty much I’ve only ever had and loved green teas.
But yes. Goodbye Silver Needle! Thank you for leaving a nice, lasting impression for my love of white teas :)

180 °F / 82 °C 3 min, 15 sec 5 g 12 OZ / 354 ML

I’ve had white tea blends, but never straight white tea so I thought I’d give this a shot.

As one previous reviewer said it almost tastes like nothing at first. As one becomes more acclimated to the taste, there’s just a hint of sweetness (barely noticeable, at least to me) and something vegetal. I’m really a fan of it.

I’d only gotten a sample of it… but I know exactly what tea I’m buying next time I go on one of my sprees~

A nice and delicate white. Nice flavor and bouquet. It was good…but it really didn’t stand out for me like I was expecting it to. I’d be happy to drink this every so often, but wouldn’t want to pay the premium usually associated with it.

Delicate flavor. Straw/bamboo colored liquor. Refreshing taste with very subtle nutty and woody notes. Crisp finish if brewed for short times, but flavor develops a lot with longer infusions.

Makes a good light iced tea for hot days.

I like to use silver needles as an addition to other green or white teas in my collection to get a variety of unique flavors. This tea is subtle and mild enough that it pairs well with many other teas as well as most foods.

With a light refreshing taste, silver needle is still the number 1 white tea in my book. It really keeps my mind at ease and helps replenish my body.

A very subtle tea, smells ever so slightly of a freshly cut farmers field. Taste is strangely creamy/buttery with a clean finish once swallowed. If you are looking for bold go somewhere else. If you want to experiment with something very subtle this tea can reward quite nicely. I find that I can vary the amount of tea on this one quite a bit and still like the results even with 4 heaping teaspoons added to my ingenuitea. Contrary to what others have said I have not been able to steep this more than twice. The third attempt at steeping seems to not work, maybe I shouldn’t be increasing the amount of time I steep past a certain amount? Only further testing will reveal!

This is an ok silver needle, but then again my sampler has been sitting around for ages, so time has probably taken a good amount of the flavor that should be there. It’s still drinkable enough to finish out the tin, but I probably won’t go crazy on the re-steepings.

Cofftea

If the flavor is weak, make sure you’re using enough leaf. I think that’s why some people don’t care for whites. I know they suggest 1tsp, but I use 2.25g/6oz. Just out of curiosity, I measured one of their whites (may or may not have been this one) and was shocked that 2.25 was actually over 1TB since the leaves don’t fit well in a measuring spoon.

Nothing to write home about – I see the “buttery” description others have noted. It’s tea, but it’s not really that descriptive. Kind of leafy, I suppose. Wouldn’t buy again.

To be honest, I can’t really tell a difference between the teas I received in my White Sampler from Adagio. I’ve liked all of them equally.