Ceylon Sonata

Tea
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Sachet
Edit tea info Last updated by Oolonga

3 Images

• “I’m in a no-frills mood today. My husband had knee surgery on Monday, so I’m pretty much running dead on my feet. I need the warmth, the simplicity, the Read full tasting note
    LFINCH 161 tasting notes
  • “Almost a sipdown on this one today — two cups worth left. This has been languishing in my desk drawer for a while, so I might take it home and finish it off this weekend. Then I can replace...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 1441 tasting notes
  • “I’d rather drink Adagio’s Irish Breakfast. I’m not sure what’s going on in this one but it seems like some thing is wrong. I find that “tea” taste with quite a...” Read full tasting note
    Madmissy 212 tasting notes
  • “Another sample comes to an end. I’m digging this more than usual this morning, I usually prefer Ceylons cold, and like to drink maltier blacks hot.” Read full tasting note
    codylynnclark 183 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from Sri Lanka. In colonial times, this island-nation was known as Ceylon. This name is still used to describe all teas grown here. Ceylon tea is bright and lively, with a wonderfully delicate flavor. The ‘Ceylon Sonata’ is the finest grade tea from the renowned Kenilworth estate, located in Sri Lanka’s Kandy region. The perfect afternoon tea.

Steep at 212° for 3-5 minutes.

About Adagio Teas View company

This was recommended to me as making a pot of iced tea since I am a big iced tea lover. I brewed the pot and of course had to make a small glass of iced tea immediately before putting it in the fridge and I must say that I really like this tea iced and it tastes so much better than the usual Lipton I used to make for Iced tea. Loving Adagio

Brandice

Glad you’re liking it! :)

Second steep + 1/4 Golden Bi Luo by Chicago Tea Garden for 1 min

Pretty strong sweet caramel smell. Has a strong malty and bitter flavor. Hardly any aftertaste.

Has a dark, almost “blunt” taste – tastes good when complimented with cookies, but only mediocre when by itself. Might be good with honey to lighten the flavor.

Had this a couple of hours ago. Better as iced tea.

I love a good mug of Ceylon black tea, and waited to try this out on a rainy day… but the “Sonata” was not what I had hoped for. Perhaps the tea-meister was having a bad day when he blended this batch. Brisk? Oh-yeah, and how! But perhaps the sample bag was old, or ?? Tried two infusions, then made the rest into a pretty good iced tea. If you are looking for Lipton in a loose tea format, then this might be the one for you.

Okay my morning tea did something to me this morning that I just don’t comprehend. I brewed my first cup as normal two mounded teaspoons around 12 ounces of water steeped for 3 minutes. Got my day started. The first cup tasted good as usual.

Then I brewed the second cup which goes with me on my commute (same tea leaves, second steep, same duration which usually creates a slightly weaker cup, that brings out some different tastes in the tea). On the highway something odd happened. I got my nose down in my cup and inhaled as usual and expected the nice aroma of Ceylon Black Tea that I expect (give me the sonata, that music that gets me started each morning!) and suddenly the nose screamed wet dog and poof… I didn’t finish my second cup and ended up making some earl grey to clear the whole thing from my brain when I got to work.

I am not bumping down my rating of Ceylon Sonata for this yet, if it continues I really have no explanation as to what happened. I brewed it with the same teaware, into the same cup and the same way I do every morning and the first steep tasted good.

I will try this again, but it may be a couple of days as I wait for the memory to clear.

Have any of you had something like this happen? Where a daily drinking tea suddenly has something happen which changes your perspective? Was this just a bad second steep? I’ll have to take a good look at everything back home when I get back this evening to see if there is some explanation.

Oohhh this tea. It was nice! I was a bit muskier than I expected. It was just a smidge brighter than the traditional English Breakfast.

I recall /loving/ this when I first had it several years ago. Since then I’ve found new favourites, but I still love this one. I think it’s a very good “introduction” to looseleaf teas because Ceylon teas are so common that people are sort of familiar with their flavour. Being looseleaf makes it even better. Anywho… Sweet, ceylon scent, typical “bag” flavour but fuller and less astringent. Good all-around cuppa… I like mine with cookies. :)

A great morning tea, lighter then assam but still has enough bite to start your day. Refreshing and perfect with something sweet.

Smooth! I love it. I let it steep about 3.5 minutes as directed. I can also get a second steep out of it.

Pleasant, simple tea. Not exciting, not boring.