Ceylon Sonata

Tea
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Sachet
Edit tea info Last updated by Oolonga

3 Images

• “I’m in a no-frills mood today. My husband had knee surgery on Monday, so I’m pretty much running dead on my feet. I need the warmth, the simplicity, the Read full tasting note
    LFINCH 161 tasting notes
  • “Almost a sipdown on this one today — two cups worth left. This has been languishing in my desk drawer for a while, so I might take it home and finish it off this weekend. Then I can replace...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 1617 tasting notes
  • “I’d rather drink Adagio’s Irish Breakfast. I’m not sure what’s going on in this one but it seems like some thing is wrong. I find that “tea” taste with quite a...” Read full tasting note
    Madmissy 212 tasting notes
  • “Another sample comes to an end. I’m digging this more than usual this morning, I usually prefer Ceylons cold, and like to drink maltier blacks hot.” Read full tasting note
    codylynnclark 180 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from Sri Lanka. In colonial times, this island-nation was known as Ceylon. This name is still used to describe all teas grown here. Ceylon tea is bright and lively, with a wonderfully delicate flavor. The ‘Ceylon Sonata’ is the finest grade tea from the renowned Kenilworth estate, located in Sri Lanka’s Kandy region. The perfect afternoon tea.

Steep at 212° for 3-5 minutes.

About Adagio Teas View company

One of my favorite black teas. All the caffeine with a smooth taste. Not bitter, unless you steep for too long

This is one of my favorite black teas. It has a vivid and deep brown brew, a nice classic black tea flavor, very low bitterness, wholesome and satisfying mouth feel with a nice malty level, making this a terrific daily drinker for me.

I am very new to this whole tea thing, but I did notice that it tasted better steeped closer to 4 minutes than 5.

Flavors: Tea

Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

First tasting, a very flavorful tea with little bitterness. Stands up on its own well without sweetener. Smooth and warm, but I’ve yet to identify anything spectacular.

1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

From the EU TTB.

This one I actually really enjoyed! I was in the mood for a good old cuppa with milk and sugar, so this seemed like a good choice. I’m used to adagio’s blacks being pretty strong and turning astringent quickly, so the additions would probably help the tea rather than hurt it. My aunty came round with my cousins to drop off a book unexpectedly, so I ended up oversteeping it for a good 10 minutes. As it turns out, though, it wasn’t too bad. Only slightly astringent plain, and perfectly fine after I added the milk and sugar. It was a really nice cup of strong, malty black tea with just a slight hint of a citrus note. Very pleasant as an afternoon drink, but I probably won’t keep it as I already have some similar teas in my collection.

Boiling 8 min or more 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

The ideal tea for people who just want a plain cup of tea. I received a cold brew pouch of this tea from Adagio, let it sit in a quart of water overnight as directed, and added a little sugar in the morning. Pleasant, refreshing.

Flavors: Tea

Iced 8 min or more

Dry, the leaves smell citrus and grapefruit-y with a little sweet malty. I try to not oversteep black teas, since I’m sensitive to the bitterness that develops. This had none of it. I’m not too sure how to recommend it, since it doesn’t have a lot of complexity to ponder. A little bit of citrus, malt and fruit in the taste and aroma. I’m a simple girl. I have a fondness for simple, drama-free things. And that’s what I’m getting from it. I can see mixing this with other flavors (which I suppose is what Adagio does).

This initial order (#teanewbie) from Adagio was to help me weed thru some of the WIDE variety of tea styles, so I can find the families I enjoy. So I’m glad I tried this, since now I want to try more Ceylons.

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 4 g 16 OZ / 480 ML

Smooth, delicious and not bitter at all. Just enough citrus to notice but not overwhelming. Great both hot and cool. Read the full review here: http://www.abbisiler.com/tea/ceylon-sonata-adagio-teas

this is my go to “Plain” tea, not too harsh, not too dry. and almost impervious to an over steep. once my liter nalgene full got cold, throughout a day of drinking it on and off, i squeezed a wedge of lemon in, tossed it in the freezer for 30 minutes, and it was then iced tea.

Boiling 7 min, 15 sec 15 g 34 OZ / 1000 ML

Love this simple, delicious, no-frills black tea.