Ceylon Sonata

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from Sri Lanka. In colonial times, this island-nation was known as Ceylon. This name is still used to describe all teas grown here. Ceylon tea is bright and lively, with a wonderfully delicate flavor. The ‘Ceylon Sonata’ is the finest grade tea from the renowned Kenilworth estate, located in Sri Lanka’s Kandy region. The perfect afternoon tea.

About Adagio Teas View company

I am still developing my tea vocabulary so forgive my ineptitude.

This tea is surprisingly smooth with a small hint of citrus in the background. The flavor does not flatten when it cools, but almost gets more dynamic. A really nice tea for after a heavy dinner.

I was digging through my Adagio sampler drawer looking for a tea to take over to my friend’s house to brew in this nice overcast weather, and I came accross a tin of Ceylon Sonata. I opened it up, smelled it, and thought that it would be a nice, sweet, black tea to brew.

Boy were we in for a pleasant surprise when we brewed this up. Once steeped, the water is a beautiful amber color. I smelled like a sweet Earl Grey with a sweet side. It had a very smooth, pleasantly sweet taste. Until now my favorite black tea had been Earl Grey Creme, but Ceylon Sonata may have taken its place.

Basically picked this one at random to have with breakfast this morning. It turned out a bit weak, though… maybe I should leave it to steep a little longer next time.

A very smooth black. Very plain nothing over the top about this tea. Makes a good no nonsense cup.

All around good tea. Great for any time of the day in my opinion.

Backlogging this mornings doings…I went all out with Ceylon Sonata this morning. about a teaspoon in a large mesh ball (plenty of room) and HOT water at a full roiling boil! 4 minutes and I had a perfect cup of tea. As I’ve noted in the past, this is a good tea, not an outstanding tea…I’ve had better “Kenilworth’s”, but all things considered, I’m talking about the difference between really good and really, really good…not between trash and good.

It’s hard to over steep this tea, as I let it steep for about 10 minutes and it didn’t get bitter. In fact, I liked the longer steep a little more as the flavors come through a bit better.

Drank 2 cups yesterday and now I am out of my stash. It will be missed