Pu Erh Chorange

Pu-erh Tea
Blue Cornflowers, Chocolate Flavor, Cocoa Nibs, Orange Flavoring, Orange Peels, Pu Erh Tea
Chocolate, Earth, Orange, Sweet, Citrus
High
Edit tea info Last updated by IllBeMother221B
Boiling 4 min, 30 sec 11 oz / 315 ml

• “Sil posting her tealog of this reminded me that I have some too, and I’m really feeling the pu-erhs these days. So, I wanted to give it another try. Unfortunately, I too only got orange out...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1333 tasting notes
  • “this is an interesting tea, sent my way by Kallieboo! it smells heavenly! orange, chocolatey goodness and likely something i would have picked myself. Steeped though, it loses...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 6275 tasting notes
  • “Today is day number four of Pu Erh week and I feel like doing something festive in celebration of it being very cold and slowly creeping closer to Christmas. I made myself a nice little Perler...” Read full tasting note
    SoggyEnderman 585 tasting notes
  • “So far this is the most earthy of the flavored puerhs from Adagio that I’ve tried. This one you can actually taste the puerh in with the orange with a bit of chocolate in the background. ...” Read full tasting note
    JohnGrebe 229 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Rich chocolate and sweet orange bring a confectionary note to the gentle earthiness of pu erh. Lively citrus lifts the blend while the warm chocolate and easygoing pu erh are grounding and smooth. Reminiscent of a favorite treat.

Steep at 212° for 5 minutes

About Adagio Teas View company

Sil posting her tealog of this reminded me that I have some too, and I’m really feeling the pu-erhs these days. So, I wanted to give it another try. Unfortunately, I too only got orange out of it. Light, juicy orange, yet still just orange. There’s a bit of a dryness to it that I could attribute to chocolate, but it’s faint.

this is an interesting tea, sent my way by Kallieboo! it smells heavenly! orange, chocolatey goodness and likely something i would have picked myself. Steeped though, it loses the chocolate flavour and becomes more of an orange puerh. While that doesn’t bother me, it’s not quite what it claims to be. It IS a decent puerh though and one that i wouldn’t turn down. I like that the flavouring doesn’t overpower the puerh taste and that the puerh is a deep earthy sort of taste. Overall a decent cup of tea, though i wish it was a little more chocolate orange instead of just being orange. ")

Yvonne

Drool.

Today is day number four of Pu Erh week and I feel like doing something festive in celebration of it being very cold and slowly creeping closer to Christmas. I made myself a nice little Perler Christmas Tree and had a bit of Pu Erh that does the best impersonation of a Christmas Time favorite that I have ever seen.

Pu Erh Chorange by Adagio teas has a wonderful portmanteau name and that makes me happy. Part of the Terra Sampler pack (and The Boo Erh Giveaway mentioned at the start of the week) it is a blend of Chocolate, Pu Erh, Oranges, and Blue Cornflowers. I will be honest, I have no idea why the cornflowers are there, they do not really match the aesthetic, but I am just being picky. The aroma is astoundingly similar to one of my favorite things about Christmas, the Chocolate Orange ball. Ever had one of them, they are a ball shaped like and orange that you bang onto something hard and it splits into ‘orange’ wedges of orange flavored chocolate. They are addictive and this tea smells just like one. At first all I noticed was the blending of chocolate and orange but the more I snuffled around in the tea (yes, you can think of a pig rooting for truffles) the more I noticed an earthy aroma letting me know that it was a Pu Erh and not an impostor.

Giving the tea a nice steeping brings out more earthy aromas with a hint of loam along with the potent orange and chocolate. The tea is very bright, if an aroma can light up a room and make it more cheerful, this one would do it. The liquid is very citrus heavy and sweet with milder notes of chocolate and earthiness.

The first thing I noticed was, wow, that is a smooth tea! The flavor, the mouthfeel, everything about it is smooth, I have a similar reaction when stuffing chocolate orange wedges in my mouth so the similarity continues. The taste blends chocolate and oranges together very well, it is balanced which can be hard with such dominating flavors, but what about the Pu Erh? No worries, it is there, it sneaks in at the very end of the midtaste and blooms into a delightful earthy flavor as an aftertaste and leaves a lingering sweetness. Out of curiosity I added a touch of cream, it surprisingly did not curdle (yay!) but didn’t really add much to the tea. As the tea cools it does get a touch earthier with a bit of a mineral taste. I think I just found my new Christmas cheer tea!

For blog and photos (and a Christmas Tree): http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2013/12/adagio-teas-pu-erh-chorange-tea-review.html

So far this is the most earthy of the flavored puerhs from Adagio that I’ve tried. This one you can actually taste the puerh in with the orange with a bit of chocolate in the background. Very interesting, not something that I would go out of my way to buy again but I am giving it a higher rating for being the first chocolate flavored tea that I’ve encountered that wasn’t horrible.

The chocolate and orange flavouring was not bad, but overpowering, and the scent was difficult to remove from my infuser afterwards. The pu-erh seemed to have no flavour at all. I plan to give this another chance at some point, but for now I’m quite glad it was in a free sampler.

This is my first pu erh, and looking back I probably should have tried an unflavored tea to base my opinion off something. Oh, well. I was a bit intimidated by the smell of this tea in the package, but I’m glad I took the chance. This tea is coming in close second to Earl Grey Moonlight. On my first steep I did 6 minutes instead of the recommended 5 and added very little sugar, I got a very earthy and chocolate taste. It was strong , but very smooth. My second go round I only steeped for 3 minutes and added double the sugar. I found orange and the chocolate calmed down a bit. It’s making me a bit sleepy.

Flavors: Chocolate, Earth, Orange, Sweet

1 tsp

For a cup I wasn’t expecting much out of, this one surprised me.

Dry it smells so strongly of chocolate and orange, I’d almost believe I’d just opened a box of it. Once steeped, the flavor is dominantly orange. The chocolate flavor isn’t really present, but the puerh base has an earthy, dark, astringent note that reminds me of unsweetened cocoa or really high cocoa content dark chocolate.

So, while I’m not blown away, it satisfies a craving for this flavor combination, but it’s not a frequent craving I get and can’t see reaching for it otherwise.

Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Teakettle.

Captain’s Log Stardate 11502.3 -We reached a new planet by the name of Adagio. The locals insisted we try a beverage they call ‘flavoured pu erh’. They gave me a warm mug that smells strongly of oranges and chocolate. There is an orange flavour, but I don’t get much chocolate. Decent, but I’ve had better on other worlds.

End log.

Flavors: Chocolate, Citrus, Orange

Stephanie

you forgot to give a star date for your review ;)

This is another sample sent to me by Kat_Maria in our swap some time ago. Like the puerh spice, I was hesitant to try this one because of the strong scent as well as the fact that the base is puerh. As it was steeping, I got a strong whiff of a chocolate-y smell as well as some warm spices. When I tasted the tea, however, I got more of the spice taste than chocolate. I could also detect some citrus, which I suppose is the orange coming out. For some reason though, the main tastes are earthiness (from the puerh base) and then some sort of warm spice flavor. I don’t know if that’s supposed to be there or if there was some scent contamination that makes me think I’m tasting it or what. In any case, it does seem very fall appropriate at the moment. I probably won’t repurchase because it’s a bit confusing to me and I still cannot appreciate puerh teas much, but it was a lovely cup for today.

Tealizzy

Have you tried any unflavored puerhs? I really didn’t like puerh until I tried those. Something always seems off to me with flavored puerhs. I recommend trying some samples from Mandala. :)

Jennkay

I did try one but it just tasted like damp forest floor to me. I did want to check out the Mandala sampler, though. I hope they still have it!