Pu Erh Tahiti

Pu-erh Tea
Ash, Butter, Caramel, Cinnamon, Coconut, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by daisypies
Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 14 oz / 414 ml

• “While I do like the entire terra sampler by Adagio with flavored Pu-erhs, this one would be probably my least favorite. I am still enjoying it though. Reminds me a lot of The Republic of Tea's...” Read full tasting note
    poziomka 218 tasting notes
  • “This one is a bit strange, as all I can taste is the nice tropical flavoring but not the puerh itself. Now if they was a herbal blend it would be wonderful as it has a very nice taste to it, but...” Read full tasting note
    JohnGrebe 224 tasting notes
  • “'Tis the season for many headaches, ugh, every year around this time when the central heating starts being a necessity I start getting terrible headaches, I blame it on the fact that the heat is...” Read full tasting note
    SoggyEnderman 432 tasting notes
  • “Drank this one at work today. As I find with a lot of coconut teas, I mostly just taste coconut. Like I can tell that it's pu erh, but mostly I'm getting coconut, and maybe some other tropical...” Read full tasting note
    whatthefoucault 213 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Decadent coconut, the fruity mystique of papaya and the soft earthiness of pu erh come together for an exotic experience not unlike a walk on the black sand beaches of its namesake. Tropical fruit notes and hints of mineral evoke thoughts of Pacific breezes and rainforest hikes.

Steep at 212° for 5 minutes.

About Adagio Teas View company

While I do like the entire terra sampler by Adagio with flavored Pu-erhs, this one would be probably my least favorite. I am still enjoying it though. Reminds me a lot of The Republic of Tea’s Coconut Pu-erh (which is actually way worse than this). It kind of tastes like watered-down coconut milk, the pu-erh notes are not very noticeable. Heavy, milky coconut is what I chiefly get – that is something I do not mind as I love coconut flavor. But yeah, I don’t think I’d buy it again outside of a sampler. I’d rather stick to Adagio’s Hazelberry or Spice if I feel like flavored pu-erhs.

This one is a bit strange, as all I can taste is the nice tropical flavoring but not the puerh itself. Now if they was a herbal blend it would be wonderful as it has a very nice taste to it, but it really messes with your mind as a puerh lover to be drinking a flavored puerh when all yo can taste is the flavor and not the puerh.

’Tis the season for many headaches, ugh, every year around this time when the central heating starts being a necessity I start getting terrible headaches, I blame it on the fact that the heat is dry and I end up doing my best Mumm-Ra impersonation. Headaches or not, today we celebrate the final day of Pu Erh week with something tropical and exotic.

From the Terra sampler and of course the Boo Erh Giveaway, we have Adagio Tea’s Pu Erh Tahiti. Blending the Pu Erh with Coconut, Apples, Mango and Papaya for a truly tropical treat, I feel like I need one of those little paper umbrellas, no reason. The aroma is fairly tart and fruity, with strong notes of apple. I am mostly getting the apple with a slight hint of coconut and tropical fruit and an even fainter hint of Pu Erh earthiness. I will be honest, I am not a fan of the way this tea smells, the different aromas seem to clash with each other.

Giving the tea a good soaking (no, not in the sea water it is clearly reminding me of) the aroma that wafts from the steeped leaves is mostly creamy apple (vaguely reminds me of apple ice cream actually) with a sweet bread tone. It actually reminds me a little of Hawaiin Sweet Bread. There is also a faint hint of coconut and again, a very faint hint of Pu Erh earthiness. The liquid without the leaves is a little odd, the aroma is yeasty and sweet but it has a waxy note, I mean it smells like candle wax does when you are making candles, paraffin wax to be exact. There is also the underlying aroma of earthiness that has been present the whole time, good to see things are consistent.

I want everyone to know, Ben just walked in with a pizza, to settle his pre-finals jitters and to share with me. Awesome. Anyway, tea eyeballs pizza the taste is a bit odd, first thing I notice is earthiness and a hint of metallic, a typical Pu Erh base taste, same as the other teas in the Terra sampler. The midtaste is the sweet and rich mixing the taste of coconut with the smooth nuttiness of coconut oil, there is also a faint hint of apple tartness. The aftertaste is a faint blend of tropical fruits. The overall sweetness of this tea is mild and pleasant, and the mouthfeel is very smooth, almost oily from the coconut. Sadly this tea just did not work for me flavor wise, I don’t hate it or would even cringe away in fear if it was offered to me, I just feel that the flavors clash too much. Perhaps just coconut and apple would be good, or just coconut and Pu Erh, but mixing the other fruits together just seems like a mouth cacophony. I certainly encourage other people to try this one though, it is an unusual experience if nothing else. And now, PIZZA!!

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2013/12/adagio-teas-pu-erh-tahiti-tea-review.html

Krystal

I thought it was just me getting headaches from heaters

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

Oh hey! I am glad I am not the only one :)

Drank this one at work today. As I find with a lot of coconut teas, I mostly just taste coconut. Like I can tell that it’s pu erh, but mostly I’m getting coconut, and maybe some other tropical fruitiness coming in underneath. I’m not the hugest fan of coconut to begin with – like, I have to be really craving it, so this was sort of a gamble for me. And it’s actually not bad. It doesn’t have the most inviting bouquet I’ve ever experienced from a tea, which to be honest put me off at first, but actually, it’s got quite a nice, soft texture that’s pretty pleasant. I’m tempted to experiment with combining it with other flavours that might tone down the HOLY COCONUT BATMAN nature of it – maybe something more predominantly coconutless tropical fruit in nature, or just cutting it with a plain pu erh. I wouldn’t keep this one in constant supply, but I’ll enjoy what I have of it, in any case.

Me: sniffs sample jar … whew. Er… can someone come check this? I don’t think it’s supposed to smell this way.
Staff 1: Really? What does it smell like?
Me: Bleu cheese.
Staff 1: O_o … sniffs Huh. Yeah. Now that you mention it…
Me: So that’s what it’s supposed to smell like?
Staff 1: I don’t really know… Hey, [Staff 2]- go smell the Tahiti!
Staff 2: =_= . . . why?
Staff 1: Just try it.
Staff 2: Ohhhkayyyy….? sniffs !! whew! … sniffs again whew. Yeah. That’s…
Staff 1: Bleu cheese, then “hey, where’d that coconut come from?”
- 24 hours pass -
Me: sniffs
Staff 3: Finding what you’re looking for?
Me: After smelling it yesterday, the masochist in me wants to try the Pu Erh Tahiti. I guess that really is what it’s supposed to smell like…
Staff 3: Really? What’s it smell like?
Me: Bleu cheese.
Staff 3: Okay…
Me: samples Hmmm…
Staff 3: Well? What’s it taste like?
Me: Kinda like it smells like. Bleu cheese and coconut… but a lot smoother and milder.
- 15 minutes and the rest of the sample cup pass -
Me: buys

Upon hearing me talk about how much I like pu erhs, my boss recently gave me a handful of her flavored pu erh teas from Adagio. Among such selections as Pu Erh Chorange (which I really like) and Pu Erh Spice was this little gem, Pu Erh Tahiti. Which is apparently a pu erh with tropical fruit flavors.

Uh huh, this tea is every bit as weird as it sounds. When I smelled the bag, I thought, “Well, maybe it’ll taste better in liquid form.” Aaaaaand it doesn’t. I don’t know how to describe it. Let’s just say that earthy/fishy and mango/pineapple/citrus/tropical do not go well together – the final result is somewhere between burnt rubber and something going bad. It’s even worse when it cools. (…Which I accidentally let it do. Whoops.) I’ll try to finish the cup, but I make no guarantees.

Actually, this is part of what I love about talking tea. I love telling stories about the weird-ass, disgusting teas almost as much as I love spouting poetry about the really good ones. Another weird-ass tea tasting for the win!

(Side note: speaking of coworkers and weird teas, I offered to let one of our part-timers – who is not a tea drinker at all – try one of my favorite shus recently, just for the experience of having a tea that I kept describing as tasting like dirt. He was like, “This does taste like dirt. … It’s really good. Like, I would drink a whole pot of this!” I have created a new convert! SCORE!)

Definitely not a bad tea, but has a very particular taste that not all would enjoy.

The teabox is on it’s third journey, but I still have a few tasting notes for teabox teas typed up!
’Here’s Hoping’ traveling teabox Round #2 // Tea #34
This one reminds me of SHIELD for some reason… I haven’t seen the last episode of the season yet. My first Adagio with a pu-erh base! This certainly has the pu-erh flavor. It might not be a good one for pu-erh newbies since the pu-erh flavor is kind of tough… or maybe that’s the coconut? I think I’m just now realizing that aging coconut kind of tastes like pu-erh. I was getting hints of the other fruits, but I wish they would have left the coconut out. There are better pu-erhs though… this one isn’t my favorite. This one didn’t seem dark enough for me (though it was a ripened pu-erh.) I just realized this is the same tea as the Simple Loose Leaf sample I just received.
Steep #1 // just boiled // 4 min
Steep #2 // just boiled // 5 min

Toasty, woody, warm, and tropical – like a campfire on the beach.

Flavors: Ash, Butter, Caramel, Cinnamon, Coconut, Wood

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 14 OZ / 414 ML

I might be the only person who tastes this, but when I smell it and even more when I sip it I find it tastes exactly like butter. And while I like butter on things, the idea of drinking butter creeped me out so much I can’t even finish my sample!