Monster Brew

Fruit Herbal Honeybush Rooibos Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by inguna

2 Images

• “I love these blends. I think they’re so cute! This one is nice and relaxing. Cherry is the main flavor with orange and chocolate kind of lingering in the aftertaste.” Read full tasting note
    kalmal 857 tasting notes
  • “Trying a lower/shorter steep on recommendation of LiberTEAS and Dexter, to try and avoid that terrible sour taste honeybush can have. (I’ve been going through my list, and TeaG and Butiki...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1859 tasting notes
  • “I picked this one up and the other 2 in the series last time i was in chicago for tea bag options when travelling. I had only had rocket fuel at that point so it was a bit of a gamble but they...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5933 tasting notes
  • “Of the tree house collection, this is my least favorite. There is a fairly strong cherry flavor that at times can be slightly medicinal. The coconut provides a creaminess but can also take on a...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 2271 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

A flavorful tea to help you battle demons and monsters, including the few that like to hide under the bed.

blended with honeybush tea, green rooibos tea, raspberry leaves, orange peels, cocoa nibs, dark chocolate chips, dried coconut, strawberries, natural wild cherry flavor, apricots, dried cherries & natural orange flavor

About Adagio Teas View company

Trying a lower/shorter steep on recommendation of LiberTEAS and Dexter, to try and avoid that terrible sour taste honeybush can have. (I’ve been going through my list, and TeaG and Butiki have been fine, as have a couple I’ve tried from Bayswater. A couple blends that are “honeybush” but mostly other stuff have also been fine. But I’ve had a bunch from Steam, and some other local shops (usually teas to go), 52Teas and Adagio, and I’ve noticed it in all those at varying levels. I don’t always note it because for a while I thought it was how it was supposed to taste. Heh. Guess not!)

Steeped low and short, this tea is very herbaceous, actually. I would say that the flavour is 90% raspberry leaves, 9% honeybush and rooibos, 1% other. :) Not exactly the flavour profile I’m going for! Even though the last time I had this, before it went sour, it was kind of weird.

Now to let this cool…

Hmm. It’s starting to get sour again. Now, this one probably isn’t the best test for this, but I’m not sure I want to buy some honeybush to test it out. I might try some of the others I have in my cupboard this way. And it really isn’t as bad as it was last time – as in, I can still drink it so I’m finishing this cup instead of dumping it.

Interesting.

(1 teabag)

(WOO 212!)

185 °F / 85 °C 2 min, 45 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML
LiberTEAS

I would recommend trying – if you have something available to you – some plain honeybush (loose leaf!) and see if you get the same results. It could just be that this is the way honeybush tastes to you. Something that I learned many years ago is that no tea tastes exactly the same to any other palate. Our palates are individualized, just like our fingerprints, so it could very well be that honeybush just isn’t your thing.

OMGsrsly

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen plain honeybush around here! But it’s something I’ll be putting on my list to try. If I don’t like it, I have a friend who will love it. :) It’s interesting because there are some I’ve had with no problems, and some that I’ve ended up getting rid of. I guess it’s somewhat like rooibos, where some grades/harvests/etc are a lot woodier than others.

LiberTEAS

I’ve also found that whether or not it’s organic makes a big difference in flavor too. I took the time several years ago to compare rooibos side by side – a conventionally grown rooibos versus an organic rooibos … organic is definitely better tasting.

ThainofBuckland

I have a few ounces of organic honeybush from Mountain Rose Herbs. I prefer it over the Rooibos that I have from them, because it’s more mellow. I haven’t had much honeybush blends, but I know people say that it can taste woody. When you say it tastes sour, could it be the taste of the rooibos or the added orange peel and orange flavor? I missed your other review. :(

OMGsrsly

I know it’s not rooibos because I never get the flavour in rooibos teas. I only get it in teas that have honeybush – and it doesn’t matter what flavour it is. Plum, spice, almond, etc. They all have that sour taste as the tea starts to cool.

I picked this one up and the other 2 in the series last time i was in chicago for tea bag options when travelling. I had only had rocket fuel at that point so it was a bit of a gamble but they were on sale lol. I had this tonight in an effort to try and sample all the teas in my cupboard. Still working on my 6 month goal, but i also want to make sure i’m trying the new teas before they’re “old” :) This one wasn’t bad..but it wasn’t as yum as rocket fuel. the flavours just sort of blended into a fruity sort of tea that wasn’t distinctly anything in particular. didn’t hate it though, and that’s saying much given my dislike for a lot of adagio teas.

Not sleeping tonight, but technically final count: 107

Of the tree house collection, this is my least favorite. There is a fairly strong cherry flavor that at times can be slightly medicinal. The coconut provides a creaminess but can also take on a lotion-esque quality. Very weird. Not horrible but not great either. Still, I am grateful for the chance to try something new. Thank you Scheherazade!

Thanks 221Tea! I cold steeped this for 14 hours and it’s ok but I really prefer the Tea Rex tea! The packaging on this is cute though! (160)