Black Dragon Pearls

Baked Bread, Cocoa, Hay, Honey, Wheat
Edit tea info Last updated by Jimbo

• “Thanks to Lena for sharing this with me! First off, the dry leaves (balls) smell like someone sprinkled cocoa on them... not my cat but rather the baking powder. Really surprising. I had a...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “Now something unsweet to get me back on track. I first encountered Black Dragon Pearls at Teavana years ago. I fell in love with them. So yummy, so malty, so chocolatey, so good. I was addicted....” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3069 tasting notes
  • “Backlogging from last night. I tried adding milk to this tea but it pretty much killed the rich, earthy, cocoa-y flavour of the tea, just leaving behind the tanin-y/smokey flavour (I think it's...” Read full tasting note
    JillDragon 1629 tasting notes
  • “I still consider myself to be new to the tea game. Now that Steepster has me reading all of your wonderfulness, I find myself googling things [or binging things – I’m an equal-opportunity search...” Read full tasting note
    takgoti 260 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Hailing from the Yunnan province, this black tea version of the popular Dragon Pearl is naturally sweet and smooth with a touch of earthiness. Comprised of only the highest quality leaves and buds, expertly rolled into a large pearl-like shape. Subtle cocoa notes whisper gently as each pearl unfurls delivering a superior tea experience not to be missed.

About Adagio Teas View company

It’s certainly entertaining. But the taste is nothing special.

This tea is a wonderful black tea that is smooth with chocolate notes. I use 3 pearls per pot and that does well.

I found this to be a very smooth black tea, that you could brew for a long period of time without adding bitter notes, and it is also good for at least 2 or 3 brewing sessions.

This is my second cup of this tea. First time, I used 4 balls. This time, I went with 5. The flavor is definitely better, more intense with 5, but it doesn’t seem remarkably complex. Maybe my slightly-congested nose is masking some subtle notes, though.

Steeped 6 minutes at 212°F. Prepared in Adagio IngenuiTEA teapot.

I really enjoyed this. Reminds me of a smooth, clean, earl grey, without any substantial after taste or scent. I used two pearls, but I think one would be plenty for my taste in weak tea. I also assumed I could steep this without a filter, but the pearls unfurled completely and I got a mouth full of leaves.

I love the complexity of this tea. There’s a wonderful earthy flavor with gorgeous dark chocolate undertones. Mmmm. A hint of milk and sugar and I’m in heaven.

Smooth, mellow. Late morning pot.

20 oz Bodum Classic tea press. 4 pearls.

Loved it! Earthy, with a hint of chocolate taste at the end. It was also fun to watch the pearls unfold (I used 4 for a good-sized mug of tea).

Tastes like a standard black tea. Good, but nothing spectacular.