Black Dragon Pearls

Baked Bread, Cocoa, Hay, Honey, Wheat
Edit tea info Last updated by Jimbo

• “Thanks to Lena for sharing this with me! First off, the dry leaves (balls) smell like someone sprinkled cocoa on them... not my cat but rather the baking powder. Really surprising. I had a...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “Now something unsweet to get me back on track. I first encountered Black Dragon Pearls at Teavana years ago. I fell in love with them. So yummy, so malty, so chocolatey, so good. I was addicted....” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3008 tasting notes
  • “Backlogging from last night. I tried adding milk to this tea but it pretty much killed the rich, earthy, cocoa-y flavour of the tea, just leaving behind the tanin-y/smokey flavour (I think it's...” Read full tasting note
    JillDragon 1611 tasting notes
  • “I still consider myself to be new to the tea game. Now that Steepster has me reading all of your wonderfulness, I find myself googling things [or binging things – I’m an equal-opportunity search...” Read full tasting note
    takgoti 260 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Hailing from the Yunnan province, this black tea version of the popular Dragon Pearl is naturally sweet and smooth with a touch of earthiness. Comprised of only the highest quality leaves and buds, expertly rolled into a large pearl-like shape. Subtle cocoa notes whisper gently as each pearl unfurls delivering a superior tea experience not to be missed.

About Adagio Teas View company

Short review because I don’t actually have the tea in front of me. I finished my sample off yesterday.

This is one of those comforting, naturally chocolatey teas. The little balls remind me of Cocoa Puffs. They’re the same size, shape, and almost the same color. For Adagio, it’s surprisingly complex. They smell sweet and hay-like. The tea brews up dark brown and smells wonderful. I get notes of honey, hay, cocoa, wheat, and bread in the flavor. Mmm.

The only reason I’m giving this tea less than a 90 is because I’ve had Teavivre’s version and it was noticeably better. I know they’re from the same region, but there’s just a slight difference in quality.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cocoa, Hay, Honey, Wheat

I’ve been on a tight budget lately, so I haven’t been buying tea, but as I noticed I was almost out of back teas I found that I had a ton of loyalty points built at Adagio. I’d had their Yunnan Noir before, which was pretty nice, but I decided to go for the more expensive Dragon Pearls and Yunnan Gold. The gold was great, really above my expectations, but these Dragon Pearls are just really bad

I’ve brewed them a few different way now, but even when I brew it strong there’s hardly any flavor. Just hot brown water with a touch of bitterness, and a slight fruity aroma which tastes to me like something it might have picked up from a flavored tea. I’m not sure what to do with the rest of this tea, it’s really not worth drinking.

Boiling
looseTman

A nominee for the hall of shame! Request a refund!

tperez

Yeah I really hate do do that, and they charge a 35% restock fee, but I guess it’s what I’ll have to do

looseTman

“…even when I brew it strong there’s hardly any flavor. Just hot brown water with a touch of bitterness …”

There was nothing wrong with your money. There shouldn’t be anything wrong with their premium-priced Dragon Pearls.

Wow, that’s a very stiff customer-unfriendly restocking fee!

Perhaps if you make Adagio aware of your experience they will promptly remedy this situation to your satisfaction. Most reputable suppliers know that customer satisfaction is the key to their long-term success especially when there’s so much competition from many other tea suppliers.

Cwyn

A ball tea should be hanging onto a lot of flavor. Sounds like this one might have been poorly stored. Like maybe glass jars?

tperez

Yes I would guess that it was stored badly. I’m going to try emailing them to see what they’ll do

looseTman

All of us, your Steepster friends, will be watching (:-) to see if Adagio remedies this situation to your complete satisfaction.

Most reputable tea suppliers want their customers to completely happy with their products and service.

I enjoyed this tea a lot – but I am mostly a sucker for the flavored ones. Will absolutely finish my sample, and might repurchase.

This tastes like the naturally sweet black tea Lipton only dreams it would be. I find myself recommending this most to drinkers who are not fond or familiar with black teas. It’s very non-offensive and easy to enjoy. That being said, I think it lacks a lot of the body and depth of flavor that other black teas bring to the table. It’s a great any time tea.

Black Dragon Pearls… where to begin? This tea is, by far, one of my favorite unflavored black teas ever. It is cocoa-y and earthy and doesn’t need sugar or almond milk for the cocoa notes to jump out at you. I can enjoy this tea at any time during the day. Well, maybe not before bed as I find it gives me quite the jolt in energy and alertness. It is a must-try for any tea enthusiast for sure.

Meh. Not too impressed. Not much flavor, really.

This has a very earthy flavor and I’m not sure if I can taste the cocoa.

Not sure how I feel about this one, I think I made my cup a little too strong.

I’m mixed on this tea. It got slightly oversteeped, so the black became a bit bitter and overpowering. It also reminded me of Yunnan Jig, about which I feel similarly.

This tea is an amazing black tea. It’s incredibly smooth- a perfect classic black tea. Because it’s in the pearls, you can steep it a little longer than you normally should with loose leaf tea. I steeped it for about three minutes, maybe a little longer, but it didn’t taste bitter at all. I did, however, wait a couple of minutes after the water came off the boil, so keep that in mind if you try it yourself.

I typically like my tea strong, and the package recommends that you use two or three pearls for a cup. I only used two, but I would use three for the stronger taste. Two is about right for an average strength black tea.
A lot of black teas I drink have a bit of a smokey or citrus aftertaste, but this one doesn’t at all. It’s honestly the most tea-y tea I’ve ever had, as odd as that sounds.

I highly recommend the black dragon pearl tea. It tastes great hot and cold. I would say it’s a great morning tea since it’s pretty highly caffeinated. It’s a bit naturally sweet. I still added sugar though because I like my tea sweet.