Black Dragon Pearls

Edit tea info Last updated by Jimbo

• “Thanks to Lena for sharing this with me! First off, the dry leaves (balls) smell like someone sprinkled cocoa on them... not my cat but rather the baking powder. Really surprising. I had a...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “Now something unsweet to get me back on track. I first encountered Black Dragon Pearls at Teavana years ago. I fell in love with them. So yummy, so malty, so chocolatey, so good. I was addicted....” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2973 tasting notes
  • “Backlogging from last night. I tried adding milk to this tea but it pretty much killed the rich, earthy, cocoa-y flavour of the tea, just leaving behind the tanin-y/smokey flavour (I think it's...” Read full tasting note
    JillDragon 1607 tasting notes
  • “I still consider myself to be new to the tea game. Now that Steepster has me reading all of your wonderfulness, I find myself googling things [or binging things – I’m an equal-opportunity search...” Read full tasting note
    takgoti 260 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Hailing from the Yunnan province, this black tea version of the popular Dragon Pearl is naturally sweet and smooth with a touch of earthiness. Comprised of only the highest quality leaves and buds, expertly rolled into a large pearl-like shape. Subtle cocoa notes whisper gently as each pearl unfurls delivering a superior tea experience not to be missed.

About Adagio Teas View company

I enjoyed this tea a lot – but I am mostly a sucker for the flavored ones. Will absolutely finish my sample, and might repurchase.

This tastes like the naturally sweet black tea Lipton only dreams it would be. I find myself recommending this most to drinkers who are not fond or familiar with black teas. It’s very non-offensive and easy to enjoy. That being said, I think it lacks a lot of the body and depth of flavor that other black teas bring to the table. It’s a great any time tea.

Black Dragon Pearls… where to begin? This tea is, by far, one of my favorite unflavored black teas ever. It is cocoa-y and earthy and doesn’t need sugar or almond milk for the cocoa notes to jump out at you. I can enjoy this tea at any time during the day. Well, maybe not before bed as I find it gives me quite the jolt in energy and alertness. It is a must-try for any tea enthusiast for sure.

Meh. Not too impressed. Not much flavor, really.

This has a very earthy flavor and I’m not sure if I can taste the cocoa.

Not sure how I feel about this one, I think I made my cup a little too strong.

I’m mixed on this tea. It got slightly oversteeped, so the black became a bit bitter and overpowering. It also reminded me of Yunnan Jig, about which I feel similarly.

This tea is an amazing black tea. It’s incredibly smooth- a perfect classic black tea. Because it’s in the pearls, you can steep it a little longer than you normally should with loose leaf tea. I steeped it for about three minutes, maybe a little longer, but it didn’t taste bitter at all. I did, however, wait a couple of minutes after the water came off the boil, so keep that in mind if you try it yourself.

I typically like my tea strong, and the package recommends that you use two or three pearls for a cup. I only used two, but I would use three for the stronger taste. Two is about right for an average strength black tea.
A lot of black teas I drink have a bit of a smokey or citrus aftertaste, but this one doesn’t at all. It’s honestly the most tea-y tea I’ve ever had, as odd as that sounds.

I highly recommend the black dragon pearl tea. It tastes great hot and cold. I would say it’s a great morning tea since it’s pretty highly caffeinated. It’s a bit naturally sweet. I still added sugar though because I like my tea sweet.

Watching the pearls unfold and uncurl is delightful. Can’t quite figure out how to describe the flavor, not sweet, not bitter, a very warm malty kind of taste. Seems like it would do really well with a touch of milk. I don’t smell the cocoa that others have reviewed.

Scent:
-Before Steeping: Very earthy, typical black tea scents, with an undertone of cocoa.
-While Steeping: Very mellow. The scent of cocoa is a little stronger, but not much. Not much other scents really, but that might just be because of the temperature.
-After Steeping: A nice, malty, black tea scent. I can no longer smell the cocoa either.

Flavor:
Still hot. Very hot, burnt my tongue trying it. It tastes bitter, and that’s all I can really say for the first taste. After it cools down a little I’ll probably be able to taste more. Then I will taste after I add sugar, and then milk.

After cooling down a little, it’s still bitter, but there is another taste there, that I just can’t place. Almost cocoa, but not quite.

After adding a little sugar (don’t ask how much); the cocoa flavor stands out quite a bit more, the sugar brings out the sweetness in it. The bitterness is pretty much gone completely, leaving behinds faint earthy and cinnamon tones, with a flavor that tastes how molasses smells.

Adding a shot of milk (literally a shot); the milk adds a creamy texture that goes so well with the sugar that it’s not even funny. Intense chocolate tones mixed with the rich, creamy flavors, mixing in well with the traditional black tea undertones. It’s glorious! It’s sweet and rich and yummy, the faint cinnamon tones blends with the cream and sweetness, the molasses taste rich and gooey-like, rich honey-like flavors; the sweetness just overwhelms engulfing the mouth in an avalanche of candy-like goodness. Oh god, I like this tea. I love this tea- with sugar and milk it fits my tastes so perfectly it’s not even funny.