Rwanda Rukeri

High
Edit tea info Last updated by John Grebe
Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 7 oz / 207 ml

2 Images

• “This is a very interesting black tea, which is stronger than what I normally drink but not overwhelmingly astringent. This one has more of a malty and fuller taste to it which sort of reminds me...” Read full tasting note
    JohnGrebe 224 tasting notes
  • “People who like really boldly flavored black teas will probably like this. It is malty and rich, and a bit astringent. I am not the biggest fan of astringency, so it isn't really for me....” Read full tasting note
    Zimaleah501 392 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Located in Central Eastern Africa, Rwanda offers high elevation, tropical highland climate and rich volcanic soil to support its thriving tea gardens. Rwanda’s abundance of natural attractions, such as volcanic mountains, deep lakes and wildlife preserves, make it an alluring destination for tourists.

Similar in character to Assam and Kenyan teas, this Rukeri OP1 is comprised of pretty, young leaves with some tips. Dry leaf aroma is sweet with notes of biscuits and fruit. The liquor is full bodied, malty and lively with delicate astringency. Layered notes of currants, toasted bread and caramel in the finish make for a well-rounded cup.

About Adagio Teas View company

This is a very interesting black tea, which is stronger than what I normally drink but not overwhelmingly astringent. This one has more of a malty and fuller taste to it which sort of reminds me of a Yunnan black tea. If you are one that generally goes for almost exclusively Chinese black teas, I would recommend trying a sample of this tea. I haven’t made up my mind about if I like it enough to order it again but it has demonstrated to me that not all African back teas are too bitter for me to handle.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML
mrmopar

Hi John, long time.

John Grebe

Thanks @mrmopar, lately I have been drinking mainly old favorites without a lot of new teas so thus not much to write about on Steepster.

mrmopar

I know how that goes. Sometimes you have to pull out a favorite or one you liked and have it again.

People who like really boldly flavored black teas will probably like this. It is malty and rich, and a bit astringent. I am not the biggest fan of astringency, so it isn’t really for me.

Recommended for those who like heavy, bold blacks.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML