Rwanda Rukeri

Astringent, Malt, Sweet, Baked Bread, Caramel, Dried Fruit
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Sean A.C.
Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 10 oz / 281 ml

3 Images

• “I never knew what black tea truly tasted like until I tried this. I was drawn in by the mystique of a tea from Africa, and having started my journey the price was very agreeable to me. The tea...” Read full tasting note
    simsoy 10 tasting notes
  • “I got this as a free sample with my last order from Adagio. I’ve been quite impressed so far. For an inexpensive tea, it has a great complexity of flavor. Overall it has a slight astringency,...” Read full tasting note
    b22johansen 33 tasting notes
  • “The description of this tea says it’s similar in to Assam and Kenyan teas and I happen to agree. The tea was mildly astringent, slightly sweet, and reminded me of fresh baked bread drizzled...” Read full tasting note
    shortsorceress 2147 tasting notes
  • “Dry, this tea kinda smells like root beer barrels. There is a kinda sweet, mild caramel scent when brewed. The flavour is more lightly sweet, with biscuit and caramel notes. As it cools a little, I...” Read full tasting note
    Lariel 640 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Located in Central Eastern Africa, Rwanda offers high elevation, tropical highland climate and rich volcanic soil to support its thriving tea gardens. Rwanda’s abundance of natural attractions, such as volcanic mountains, deep lakes and wildlife preserves, make it an alluring destination for tourists.

Similar in character to Assam and Kenyan teas, this Rukeri OP1 is comprised of pretty, young leaves with some tips. Dry leaf aroma is sweet with notes of biscuits and fruit. The liquor is full bodied, malty and lively with delicate astringency. Layered notes of currants, toasted bread and caramel in the finish make for a well-rounded cup.

About Adagio Teas View company

I never knew what black tea truly tasted like until I tried this. I was drawn in by the mystique of a tea from Africa, and having started my journey the price was very agreeable to me. The tea almost knocked me out it was so strong, yet it was sweet, malty, it wasn’t bitter or brash to my tongue. Very strange, very strange indeed. This is a tea I’ve almost never brought myself to drink as if I were saving it, a day would go by and I’d make a pot of it. A week would go by and I’d stock up on fresh teas, it’s been more than a year and a half since I started my journey and I still have some left, just waiting for that last bitter sweet cup.

Flavors: Astringent, Malt, Sweet

Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

I got this as a free sample with my last order from Adagio. I’ve been quite impressed so far. For an inexpensive tea, it has a great complexity of flavor. Overall it has a slight astringency, but not too much. There is even a touch of sweetness in the cup. Very typical assam flavor profile with perhaps a bit more of a bite. Not strong astringency, but just a more defined profile. It’s hard to explain.

The description of this tea says it’s similar in to Assam and Kenyan teas and I happen to agree. The tea was mildly astringent, slightly sweet, and reminded me of fresh baked bread drizzled with honey. It’s a very strong bodied tea, one that is well suited to breakfast— it’s strong enough to force even my eyes open (and we all know I’m not a morning person.)

You can read the full review on my blog:

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Dry, this tea kinda smells like root beer barrels. There is a kinda sweet, mild caramel scent when brewed. The flavour is more lightly sweet, with biscuit and caramel notes. As it cools a little, I get hints of fruit. Actually, pretty good.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Caramel, Dried Fruit

This is a very interesting black tea, which is stronger than what I normally drink but not overwhelmingly astringent. This one has more of a malty and fuller taste to it which sort of reminds me of a Yunnan black tea. If you are one that generally goes for almost exclusively Chinese black teas, I would recommend trying a sample of this tea. I haven’t made up my mind about if I like it enough to order it again but it has demonstrated to me that not all African back teas are too bitter for me to handle.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML
mrmopar

Hi John, long time.

John Grebe

Thanks @mrmopar, lately I have been drinking mainly old favorites without a lot of new teas so thus not much to write about on Steepster.

mrmopar

I know how that goes. Sometimes you have to pull out a favorite or one you liked and have it again.

People who like really boldly flavored black teas will probably like this. It is malty and rich, and a bit astringent. I am not the biggest fan of astringency, so it isn’t really for me.

Recommended for those who like heavy, bold blacks.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML