Pumpkin Spice

Spices
Edit tea info Last updated by JewlOfTheLotus

• “Dear Pumpkin Spice, I wanted to like you. Really, I truly did. I know that you might not want to hear that right now, but please hear me out. When I was mildly disappointed with the first cup, I...” Read full tasting note
    takgoti 260 tasting notes
  • “Alright, I'm willing to try this again as fall is approaching. It still smells like that bubblegum you used to get on Halloween from the old folks down the street. I tried to dress it up a...” Read full tasting note
    tabby 474 tasting notes
  • “And another sipdown! :O Gotta make room for the 9 new teas/samples I ordered from H&S! And then I grabbed the sachet sampler, so... that's a lot right there but I like surprises! Now, on to THIS...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1693 tasting notes
  • “Wow! The reviews are all over the board for this one! I apparently don't hate this as much as most of the reviewers, but I think part of that is that I've danced with Adagio's black base for...” Read full tasting note
    moraiwe 616 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Premium black tea from Sri Lanka flavored with pumpkin and exotic spices. Straight from the jack o’ lantern to your cup, this limited edition tea is sure to delight ghosts and ghouls alike. Like the phantoms that haunt your streets, this tea will vanish after Halloween – don’t miss out!

About Adagio Teas View company

Revisiting this tea, and still not impressed. The spice does add to the flavor, but it overpowers the pumpkin, and you just end up with a spicy black tea.

Cofftea

Maybe the spices infuse into the water faster than the tea leaves? 5 1/2 min seems a bit long to me for my personal tastes. Maybe try 200-210 degrees (I don’t completely boil my water cuz it kills the health benefits) for 4-5 min. Hopefully that’ll give you a more even flavor profile. I’ve noticed that over steeping can actually produce a duller, flatter flavor- this is really common w/ Adagio’s whites. Let me know!:)

When you smell the dry tea leaves, the spiciness of this tea doesn’t really make you think of pumpkin pie. It’s very ginger-y and clove-y, not so pumpkin-y. But that’s just the leaves. Surely the tea will taste different?

Eh. Meh. The cinnamon’s stronger in the tea, but it’s still a very spicy tea and not at all pumpkin-like. Oh, wait – I can sorta taste the pumpkin at the very end, almost in the aftertaste, but I’m not sure if it’s actually there or if it’s a phantom created in my mind. Hmmm.

It is a nice spiced tea. It’s warming and pleasant. But as a pumpkin-themed tea, it just isn’t working for me.

I’m finishing off a sample of this that Adagio sent from one of my earlier orders. I have brewed it up before, and remember not being very impressed.

I added milk and sugar, thinking that might help. No. Dang, this stuff is nasty.

fcmonroe

I think this may be the lowest rating I’ve ever seen on Steepster!

Though I contemplated reading my Computer Organization literature, I decided to take a break to try one of Adagio’s fine seasonal products. Though I have had seasonal teas in the past, none quite compare to this Black Tea, that which is full of flavor.

I’ll admit, I’m not really a big fan of Black Teas (though ironically it is the type of tea I started on), but I am always willing to try Adagio’s flavored stuff, as it is usually pretty decent. There was that one occasion where I bought their Pineapple Black Tea, which I am still afraid to touch, let alone DRINK! Anyway, I digress.

Right now my window is open a crack (Allegheny likes to CRANK the heat, which is bad when my door is closed), and I can smell the faint sense of Autumn. Leaves are falling and that chilly air is just creeping in, though not as bad as winter, that’s for sure. So, the mood is set for some Fall-esque tea, am I right people?

Steep Method: IngenuiTEA
Normally, when making some tea from Adagio, I use their/my trusty IngenuiTEA steeping mechanism. I figure since they sell it, they’d want you to experience their teas in it. Also, I feel that I get a better, more thorough taste, than with my Zarafina, or some other auto-teamaker.

Steep Time: 3 Minutes, 30 Seconds

I heat the water first and when it’s boiling (about 200° F) I pour it into my steeper, the Pumpkin Spice already in there. Decided to have some fun and use Steep.it for their recommended amount of time for teas. A good thought, but I should have set my own time (3:30 was too short for this black tea).

Sip, sip, sip! Opinion and Reaction

This tea is surprisingly light for it’s type (black) and certainly has that “Fall” attitude to it. The taste is definitely there, a plethora of Vanilla and Oriental Spice-ish taste, as well as some Pumpkin flavoring to it. I’m actually surprised that there wasn’t MORE pumpkin flavor. I swear I need to steep it longer. I’ll try that on the next steep, but man it definitely needs MORE punch! So, Adagio, if you are listening, I am giving you the Thumbs Up on Steepster.com, but for next year (or even your next batch) please please add more Pumpkin flavor! Maybe there is a lot in it, but the Black Tea tastes overwhelms it? If so, use White Tea or even Oolong (my favorite!). It does go well with my mood at the moment, but there’s simply not enough Pumpkin flavor, I expected Pumpkin Pie! It’s more like Oriental Spice with a twist of Vanilla and a little hint of Pumpkins. Just sayin’.

I like it, but I don’t LOVE it.

TeaCast scale: 81/100.

I have to say I don’t really like this on its own. So I tried mixing it with pecan black tea and it was wonderful! It really brings out the flavors and tastes like pumpkin pie :) goodbye to that weird bitter taste it had before!

Backlog—
I definitely don’t taste, or smell, pumpkin in this. Which makes sense because the ingredients only specify “natural pumpkin spice flavor.” There’s really no hint of spice either, just a bland black tea with some kind of odd flavoring. Bleh.

So, I played an epic game of “enni-meani-minnei-mo” today with my tea and landed on this. Joy. I tried it again without milk, could only taste tannin and mild spices. Now that I’ve added milk, I’m actually getting a bit more pumpkin! But it still has an odd effect on at the tip of my tongue.
The liquor (I for some reason feel uncomfortable with that word) was gorgeous and a rich red-brown and when I added milk it is a touch orange. Very pretty, happy I used my glass mug.
Still unnecessarily bitter and bland.

backlogging…

I made this over the weekend while at my sister’s house. I boiled milk, water, and sugar together with the tea, then let the tea steep for several minutes before straining the leaves out and drinking (what I could remember of takgoti’s chai method posted on Steepster earlier).

It was definitely better prepared that way than when I had done it with straight water, but there was still no pumpkin flavor. It’s just a spiced tea, and I’m not really fond of the spice blend used in it.

takgoti

Well, that confirms it. If you tried to make a chai out of this and it flopped I don’t think there’s any saving it.

I wasn’t sure quite what to expect from this tea. I have limited experience with pumpkin generally, and I’ve never before tried pumpkin tea. Still, with it having just been Halloween, I thought I’d give it a topical whirl.

The smell of the dry leaves is a little strange. It’s quite spicy — cinnamon, cloves, ginger — and it has a slight undertone that’s making me think of an old-fashioned apothecary. It’s such a deep, dark, almost musty smell — I’ve really nothing to compare it to.

Having established this, it was probably silly to judge by the pumpkin soup I had for lunch the other day, but that’s my only recent frame of reference. Based on this, I was expecting something sweeter. Slightly savoury, perhaps, but sweet nonetheless. I don’t know quite what it is about this, but it has a relatively bitter aftertaste. Maybe there are too many spices, or perhaps it’s the sunflower petals. Possibly it’s just the base tea. I’m not sure. All I know is that I can’t taste pumpkin in quite the way I was expecting.

That said, on first sip this tea does have a sweetness to it that I rather like. It’s a shame the aftertaste takes over and spoils it a little, but it’s a pleasing tea otherwise. If the sweetness had been more pronounced, and the aftertaste less bitter, I would have absolutely adored this tea. As it stands, I find it pleasant up to a point, but it’s never going to be my favourite. Not bad for a first acquaintance, but I can see I’m going to have to look elsewhere if I want to find a truly appealing pumpkin tea.

CHAroma

This one seems universally disliked. There are some great pumpkin teas out there though! DAVIDsTEA makes one that is to die for! It’s called Pumpkin Chai. Mmmm, I’m drooling just thinking about it.

I dunno, maybe my palate isn’t sophisticated enough. Maybe it’s that I boil the water and pour it over the bag and drink the tea, not knowing the first thing (or caring, all that much) about water temperature and steep time. Reading most of the reviews here, I’m beginning to think that ignorance is bliss.

Yes, it needs more pumpkin. Yes, it could probably use some more spice, too. Yes, it’s way heavy on the cloves, especially if you don’t much care for cloves. It does smell nice, though, and it tastes pretty good. What drops this tea in my esteem is its name. Were I to rip off the label and not know what I’m drinking, the tea’d be fine; it’s just that it’s got that Pumpkin Spice name and, well, that’s not really what you get.

Stephanie

It does seems like Adagio’s flavored teas have disappointed many here. You’re not alone!

Nik

Thanks, Stephanie! I haven’t really been disappointed by the flavour, just by how well the flavour lives up to the tea’s name (it hasn’t, yet, and I’ve tried three).