Fujian Baroque

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Amazing what a decent night's sleep will do to your taste buds. I can actually TASTE. Interesting to read previous notes on this one; all are a little different. First thing that comes to my...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1631 tasting notes
  • “The other tea that my brother got me for my birfday. I noticed the comparisons to Golden Monkey in other notes, so that is pretty much what I was expecting. The leaves are not particularly...” Read full tasting note
    chibibigos 382 tasting notes
  • “Normally I don't drink Chinese blacks with milk apart from the occaisional keemun. Yunnans, which this tea resembles a bit, in particular don't work well with additives I've found. None the less...” Read full tasting note
    JillDragon 1528 tasting notes
  • “OMG I just noticed this morning that Ricky's no-icon-uploaded-icon isn't actually, because it's mirrored! Never realised that before. I'm feeling a little more human today, so I've made a pot of...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1197 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from the Fujian region of China, better known for producing world-renowned green and white tea. Its general attributes are similar to the Golden Monkey but the leaf is finer and the aroma even more pronounced. The exquisite tapestry of naturally sweet cocoa notes, fruitiness and glimmers of spice are unmatched by any other tea. Softly sweet and velvety, it can be brewed light or strong; the taste will remain smooth without astringency.

About Adagio Teas View company

Really complex, definitely fruity, has a red wine kind of essence, as if it were aged in an oak barrel, like a cabernet. An interesting finish—it hits the palate with a lot of smoke, but then this dissolves into a soft cocoa.

dcarlo

Second steep (6 min.) was really nice, a bit smoother, more velvety.

This charmingly smooth tea has a colorful and complex—indeed, baroque—flavor which combines warm woody and deep cocoa notes with a calm frutiness somehow reminiscent of bananas. I recommend it, especially for the price.

Is that a hint of chocolate I taste or am I imagining things? The tea is incredibly smooth. i’m sure it would make a delicious iced tea but it’s so balanced and as a hot tea that I don’t think I could do it!

I just noticed a huge bug on my ceiling so my post must now end…

Slight cocoa on the nose pre-steep. For me this started off smooth, then has a bit of a lingering aftertaste with a little bit of a bite to it. Not bad.

Revisiting this 5 months later, it has a nice nut like smell in the bag. It seems to be smoother this time with less astringency. The taste is kind of hard to describe, I guess I’d say it is somewhere in between the typical Yunnan and Keemun flavor profiles. Toasty/roasty, plus the nutty notes mentioned above. At its current decent price, this would be a good every day drinker. Great with sweetener and ice as well.

The flavor was not quite there, I suspect that I did not add enough leaves

This has a hint of musty earth tones. Not exactly unpleasant, but not something I would seek out in a tea.

It is a good heavy tea to fall back on when you want something more than, ‘a black tea’. However, I will not be order this again.

I’m really liking this one. The cocoa and fruity notes in it are strong. It has a long, pleasant, fruity aftertaste. I got this as a sample, but I may need to buy more of it. Prepared with stevia.

I must be losing my mind, because I can’t taste much chocolate in this. I’m thinking the water I used might have been too hot. It just tastes like black.

One of my favorite morning teas.

If I didn’t know better I’d swear there was chocolate in this tea. Rich and delicious and not the least bit bitter. Definitely a new favorite.