Golden Spring

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “’I’ll just start with my sampler tins, and then when I finish them, I’ll move on to the savant samplers,’ I had told myself. Hah. Guess not. I never have been the most...” Read full tasting note
    sophistre 158 tasting notes
  • “It’s officially The Final Sipdown: Day 3 and I thought I would be decupboarding my Kukicha. (Actually, I still might, but that will be determined later today.) Instead,...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “This is actually the third time I’ve tried this tea. I’ve just been incredibly busy this week with work. (I made the mistake of mentioning that I needed money in front of my manager. He...” Read full tasting note
    tabby 520 tasting notes
  • “Bumping up…I crave this and I believe it is great in the morning. The honey finish is so delicious and the hints of tobacco add richness and depth. I enjoy this because of all the different...” Read full tasting note
    RachanaC 432 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

A delicate black tea from Fujian Province harvested early in the Spring. The leaves are panfried and hand-rolled, capturing a fresh, sweet flavor unique to the season. Downy golden curled buds are interspersed throughout this majestic tea evoking visual color-play between gold and black. The heady aroma of both the dried and infused leaves has a distinct savory-sweet note that transcends richly into the cup. A decadent, almost “meaty” aftertaste makes for a very satisfying umami-sweet experience.

About Adagio Teas View company

Adagio Teas has become one of the most popular destinations for tea online. Its products are available online at and in many gourmet and health food stores.

Dry leaf has that stewed-plum aroma I’ve noticed in a lot of the black teas I like. I had a sniff of the wet leaf after pouring off the liquid, and was met with an ashy smell so strong that I recoiled a bit. The liquor itself didn’t taste of ash, thankfully, but there was a mysterious musky taste that I wasn’t all that fond of. I didn’t strongly dislike it, but there are so many other teas I like better.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Not as intense as I am used to drinking…perhaps I understeeped? The scent is amazing and the leaves are gorgeous.

A really great black tea. It tastes like someone spritzed a honey mist into the air and passed the tea leaves through it. Just enough to let you know it is there, but not enough to make it sweet.

I’m still working on the sample tin. I want to order more, but I need to replace my tea strainer first. When I have the means to do loose leaf tea again, this will be my all-purpose tea. It’s great for breakfast, and I suspect it will make an excellent iced tea (after all, it’s still pretty tasty even after it gets cold in the cup).

Did I do something wrong? I did the standard teaspoon, boiling, 5 minutes. The result was much lighter than I expected, and the tea seemed a bit watery. I caught only hints of the meaty taste that I was expecting. Maybe I’ve just been drinking too many strong blacks.

They’re not kidding about the umami with this one; it’s super-aromatic with a thick mouthfeel, and the best I can describe it is as bracing. Definitely not for those who prefer more delicate flavors, but I could see this being a lifesaver on a cold winter morning.