Irish Breakfast

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I'm back to the top of my black tea list! I sipped down one last week & added 2, so now I'm at 19 unflavored blacks, with a few more on their way. As far as breakfast teas go, I'm enjoying this...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3046 tasting notes
  • “Whee! Fun updates! Looks great, Steepster Overlords! (Now if we could just edit the comments we make....) I spent my drive to work this morning pretty much doing three things: listening to OK...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “I threw in a little Irish Breakfast on top of yesterday's leftover Keemun Concerto. Yum. This tea is comforting and heavy...malty and smokey. Fantastic for a cold, rainy and generally yucky day....” Read full tasting note
    LFINCH 161 tasting notes
  • “It's wednesday, my regular day off and I've taken the rest of the week off as well. (This, btw, has nothing to do with illness, it was already planned, so no worries there). After the restorative...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1298 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

A new combination of black teas from Ceylon (Sri Lanka) and Assam (India). As its name implies, Irish Breakfast tea is an ideal accompaniment to a morning meal. It smoothly blends the high notes of a high-grown Ceylon with the malty underscore of a hearty Assam. May be enjoyed plain or with a drop of milk. The perfect afternoon tea.

About Adagio Teas View company

I got a sample of this tea as a birthday present from my boyfriend, along with 2oz of White Peach and a sample of Dancong Aria. Pretty small amount of tea, but with the shipping and exchange rate, it cost us fair bit. I have to limit these orders to special occasions, unfortunately.

Anyway, I decided to try the Irish Breakfast first. I like a good blend of Ceylon and Assam very much, they are like parts of a symphony that sound a bit bland or harsh on their own but complement each other perfectly when blended together. This blend is magnificent. It is perfectly balanced, and using just boiling water for three minutes makes it full flavoured with not a hint of bitterness. It coats the palate nicely with no dryness on the tongue afterward. Deep and dark malty molasses from the Assam, bright and cheerful floral notes from the Ceylon. I like to put a bit of light brown sugar in my black tea. This cup was perfect. Delicious!

JonTea

Yes it is.

xdunlapx

This tea is… what?

This sample compliments of Erin’s cupboard clean out.

Brewed up a light amber. Smells mildly salty and roasty. Taste is very mild for an Irish Breakfast. A little maltiness, not much else. Saline aftertaste. Maybe I need to use more leaf.

Thank you Erin for the chance to try this one.

Erin

This one tastes good with a little milk, helps to add some extra malt.

I have a large amount of homework to tackle this morning, on top of already being stressed out, so I needed a tea that could keep up with me today.

And holy unbelievably bold tea batman… I have found it. While adding my inventory of teas to the virtual cupboard, I rediscovered a few teas that I had forgotten about. Irish breakfast was one of them.

This is a very hearty brew, with quite a bit of astringency and dryness. The dryness kind of turned me off by the time I got to the bottom of the cup – hence the lower score. If this tea were any bolder, it would probably have the ability to make one see through time.

A kick of caffeine in the morning is great with this tea.
I drink it black. No milk, no sugar.

Enjoyed this with breakfast this morning. Was definitely pleasant, but nothing special. Tough to pinpoint exactly what was missing, overall the flavors were fairly muted. I don’t know that the Assam malty-ness came through as much as the description implies it ought to, which might be the key to taking this tea from enjoyable to very good.

My everyday breakfast and second breakfast tea. Strong enough to wake me up, simple enough to propel my wandering thoughts without distracting them.

Spring break has finally come to an end. Now it’s time to return to needing my caffeine-infused beverage to carry me through the day. What’s on today’s menu? Irish breakfast tea.

Honestly, I’m not that big of a fan. Back in the day when I first trying out Adagio’s black tea samplers, the Irish Breakfast jumped out at me. So next time I got around to buying tea I got myself 2 ounces. I don’t know what happened. I may have only liked the Irish Breakfast in comparison to the other samples (blegh, english breakfast). Either way, I’m stuck with this rather large bag and there’s no way I’m going to throw it away. So here I am, drinking it merely for the caffeine. But all is well. I’ll be drinking Fire Charcoal Roasted Tung Ting by lunch!

Generally I love Irish Breakfast. It’s a great way to wake yourself up. This blend just did’nt have the kick-in-the-pants, wake up and get yourself out the door effect for me.
I did however buy a whole pound, so from time to time I blend it with whatever I have left over of my black teas. You know when you have a bit left over and not enough to make a full pot. It seems to perk it up a bit.

But on the other hand, if you are new to tea, and not sure if you like a kick-in-your-pants type of morning tea? This would be a great one to start out with.

Snowy day, and I’ve been called out of work, so I’m diving in to the pound of Irish Breakfast I bought from Adagio… it’s an ok blend, I wish it was a little stronger. Next time I will add a little bit more tea to the pot.