Jasmine Silver Needle

White Tea
Flowers, Jasmine, Fruity, Lychee
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Adagio Teas

Young and elegant tea leaf buds with a whisper of jasmine aura. All the appeal and softly sweet nuances of a classic Silver Needle tea, enhanced with the aroma of night-blooming jasmine flowers. The quiet nature of this tea ensures it will make a gentle companion for your special moments. Steep 2.25 grams of tea per 6oz purified water for 7 min at 180 degrees F.

About Adagio Teas View company

Backlog: I made a pot of this a week or two ago from a sample I pilfered from the first round of the European Traveling Tea Box. The dry leaf smelled amazing, but my expectations weren’t all that high based on what I’ve heard about & tried from Adagio.

I had taken more from the box than the brewing instructions recommended for a cup, so I used what looked like proportionately more water (didn’t bother measuring, though) and followed the parameters on Adagio’s website. The first infusion was rather heavy, resinous, and almost piney – interesting, but not really what I was hoping for. Probably too hot & long a steep.

From the second infusion on, I decided to just go with what I thought was the right amount of water/temperature/time. That’s when rainbows appeared and birds started singing. Gorgeous perfect jasmine flavor! As if that weren’t enough, these lovely little leaves gave me another five delicious steeps. SEVEN steeps from a white tea brewed western style! Super impressive. I’m definitely grabbing some more of this next time I place an Adagio order. Thanks for sharing, KittyLovesTea!

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 12 OZ / 354 ML
Anna

I seriously love this review. And this tea is the best.

(Also I am so envious that you can just, you know, ORDER some, just like that.)

adagio breeze

They have an EU site! Do they not ship to where you live?

Anna

I JUST SAW THAT when I remembered, ‘wait, adagio is in Europe, too!’. I don’t know whether to feel exceptionally dorky or very excited. I think both, right?

Heaven. Not too heavy on the Jasmine, so you can brew it strong. Perfectly subtle and demure white, just the way it should be. Significantly diminished aroma on resteepings, unfortunately, and the aroma that remains overpowers the especially subtle flavors that normally come out of a silver needle after the first cup. A bit pricey, though, I want to find a cheaper Jasmine.

This tea is loaded with Jasmine. The floral notes overwhelm everything else. I’m really not sure what to make of it. It’s definitely bitter, in a way that reminds me of hoppy beer, so not all bad. I’ll probably be a bit better able to judge this tea after trying some other white teas.

A friend gifted me with loose-leaf teas and accessories just last March, so I’m very new to tea, and that might have affected my reaction. This was part of a sample pack of White Teas. The plain Silver Needle, often described as “subtle” was far too subtle for my tastes—could barely tell the difference between it and hot water. Combining that with Jasmine was a shock. To me it tasted like perfume. I found it undrinkable and gave it away to a friend.

It’s a really light tea. I’m a huge fan of the jasmine taste, but I’ve had better silver needle tea.