Huang Jin Bolero

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Oolonga

From Adagio Teas

Huang Jin Gui is an Anxi oolong whose name means “Golden Flower.” A lightly roasted oolong our “Bolero” reveals an intensity with hints of honey and flowers you will find enticing and seductive.

About Adagio Teas View company

Adagio Teas has become one of the most popular destinations for tea online. Its products are available online at and in many gourmet and health food stores.

infusions 9 10.

Boiling 8 min or more

You’re kidding? Of the same one? How does it not get incredibly weak and boring? O.o

I have tried this a few times now at different temps and steep times. I just do not like it at all. It was my first oolong so there is a chance that I just don’t care for them. The dry leaves smelled unappealing. The flavor reminds me of malt and over-stewed greens. I like mild green teas and this oolong reminded me of an extremely vegetatal green. Not for me.

I steeped for 5 minutes. The color is very pale yellow. I do smell a faint “tea smell” but there is almost no taste. As the cup started to cool off, I began to taste a little tea. Slightly earthy with a faint musty smell and taste. Maybe I needed more leaves despite being careful about the portion due to TeaEqualsBliss’s review. Not good…not bad. This one is just blah.

This is my fourth attempt at this tea. First few times I foolishly steeped it too long hoping it would blossom into something more palatable. In the end, however, it keeps on tasting like soggy smelly wood, almost like driftwood. A minute thirty steep time helps make it a little better but I do not taste any honey or “floral” hints. It’s a very blah oolong.

I quite liked this tea: it’s smooth and sweet and not overpowering. It’s also a great value in my opinion. The only downside is that I could re-steep this tea only twice. But then again I like my tea on the strong side.

Great taste, sweet and smooth and a little earthy. I feel the flavor palate is a bit complex. Reminds me of a hot summer day at sunset. Don’t ask me why or how I can’t explain either.

I’m not sure what to think about this tea. Maybe I used too little leaf, but it really unwound when I added the hot water to it. Honey-colored and very light, I’m into more robust teas such as darker oolongs and blacks. A pleasant enough mouth-feel that I always get when drinking oolongs.

It reminds me a lot of Chinese greens, which is probably the closest thing to this tea. I don’t get the intense florals in it, although I do taste floral. I suspect my palate is no where near refined enough to pick out all the subtle flavors, but I do use thrice-filtered well water which probably kills those right off along with my constant sinus stuff.

I’m glad I have a sample as I would probably pass on buying this tea. It’s not extraordinary but it was nice to try.

I love the look of this tea as it steeps. It starts out as tiny little BBs of green tea that expand (explode would actually be a better description) into giant tea leaves. The leaves have a woodsy, earthy smell that brews into a lighter colored tea with a subtle green tea taste. Hard to describe the taste, but it’s a little bit earthy, with almost a mineral-like quality to it. Not bad for a green tea, just not knock your socks off good.

This was surprisingly mild, and sort of nutty and deep in flavor. It lasted several steeps, which I always love, and is a solid purchase, though nothing super special.

Brad-liked it. Good for the price. Very similar to a green. Sarah agrees.