Huang Jin Bolero

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Oolonga

From Adagio Teas

Huang Jin Gui is an Anxi oolong whose name means “Golden Flower.” A lightly roasted oolong our “Bolero” reveals an intensity with hints of honey and flowers you will find enticing and seductive.

$7/3oz

About Adagio Teas View company

I guess the sample I got was a much lighter roast than many of the other reviews, because the floral tone and sweetness were much more overt in my cup. I was not doing gongfu, but I did use fairly short steepings, and got a pale green infusion with a strong floral scent. The taste had a brief woody body that gave way to a very sweet taste and floral finish. Hotter water and longer infusions yielded a stronger, darker body (though certainly not the bitter woody taste some others have described). A solid light-oxidation oolong for casual drinking, though it seems Adagio is a bit inconsistent with this one.

First time tasting an oolong and it was…interesting. The leaves smelled good, a bit grassy but good. The tea itself was ok, a bit of sweetness which was good but I just didn’t warm up to grassyness of the flavor. I may try it again with less leaves but I don’t know.

This brewed up pretty musky… reminds me of over-ripe cantaloupe and alfalfa hay. There’s something weird and tropical in the scent… papaya maybe? A weird sticky sweetness. And it has a hint of grassiness like a green tea. The other comments on here make me think I may have oversteeped this… I’ll play around with the rest of my sample, but thus far this is not my favorite oolong I’ve tried.

Golden Flower or Huang Jin Bolero is a very interesting light green oolong. When brewed very lightly with little leaf it comes out tasting a bit like Pouchong. When brewed with more leaf it comes out as having some light floral and maybe honey notes. I can understand the honey from how it is described but quite honestly if it was not suggested I would not have noticed. The only problem that I have with this tea is that it is really hard to brew right even as one that is reasonably experienced of gaiwan gongfu brewing oolongs and it is way too hit or miss for me. I’ve brewed it several times with multiple infusions and while the few cups that turned out well were excellent the others were not so good.

Getting more flowers this time, and it’s getting better as it cools. I’m much more impressed than the last time I made this, though the flavor is still relatively weak for an oolong.

And now I’m losing the flowers as it cools more – boo. There seems to be a sweet spot for drinking temp. Still bumping the rating a little.

Steep 2: ~3 minutes. The liqueur is the same color, a yellow so pale I’d almost call it cream.

Steep 3: ~4 minutes. Still good color, but the flavor is getting very mild. If I liked white teas, I might continue with this, and I’ll probably give it one last long steep, but I think these leaves are mostly tapped, for my taste.

Tastes smooth yet starchy. Not the most pleasing experience, but it’s not terribly bitter or overpowering either. Overall, meh.

Always love this tea. Going to need a new tin soon!