Keemun Concerto

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “It's my day off, so I'm sitting on the sofa with my jar of oatmeal (I make my oatmeal 5 servings at a time in canning jars on Sunday, and keep it in the fridge. Steel cut oatmeal - yum. Best...” Read full tasting note
    Skulleigh 267 tasting notes
  • “Ya'll..... There were 2 big, honkin' hairs in my sample tin. My never been opened, until now sample tin. I know for a fact that those hairs were not mine. Should I tell Adagio? Is this...” Read full tasting note
    LFINCH 161 tasting notes
  • “This was the tea that introduced me to Keemun, and made me realize how much I like it. Since this makes it an indirect cause of my buying Jackee Muntz, and inspired by Meghann's comparison vanilla...” Read full tasting note
    teabird 403 tasting notes
  • “Tea of the morning.... I bought some chamomile for my nephew on Black Friday and this was a free sample that Adagio tucked into my order. I was definitely pretty happy about it, because my Keemun...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 972 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from the Anhui region of China. Perhaps the most famous of Chinese varieties, the 2006 crop is prized for its rich smoky flavor, and sumptuous aroma. The ‘Keemun Concerto’ is a hand-made, limited production ‘Mao Feng’ grade tea. It is a rare embodiment of this tea’s wonderful potential.

About Adagio Teas View company

A sweet smoothness is the first impression that I notice on my first sip of this tea. Slightly earthy with a bit of a slight roasted mineral taste like a good wuyi. I’d call it a good everyday black tea overall that is cheap, not the best overall but one that is hard to top in its price range.

As I was digging through the ever so organized tea drawer this morning looking for ceylon, I found this instead. I was excited because I didn’t realize there was a keemun in there (my boyfriend had ordered it), so I definitely decided to have this tea instead of the ceylon, eagerly awaiting the keemun goodness I’ve come to love.

Well… I was a bit disappointed. It smelled very smokey and slightly woodsy. As I took a sip I was less excited. The powerful scent just doesn’t live up to the taste. It’s very flat tasting and watery thin. There isn’t much body to this tea and it has this odd tangy after taste to it.

Kashyap

Keemun/Quimen teas are tricky and I find seasonal harvests are radically different from year to year based on rain fall…..highest grades are Hao Ya A and Hao Ya B and anytime some tea company obscures the origin, tea estate, or grade it means its usually a blend or a mix to dilute poor season or costs….sorry it didnt jam ya up

First Steep

A hint pf a malty smell. Very full-bodied flavor too it, a bit too much so. A bit of a lingering aftertaste, but nothing too bad.

This is an incredibly dense tea – hard to handle on its own, really needs something mixed with it to bring it down.

I just found this site, so I thought I’d try to review a tea! This is the tea I’m drinking this morning. I’m almost all the way through the 3 oz I got from the black tea-of-the-month club from Adagio.

While this isn’t my favourite tea, I do like it enough to keep drinking it every day until it is gone. Considering I have at least 35 different types of tea on my desk at work and at least 10 at home, this is saying something. This tea is middling dark with a smokey flavour with a bit of tobacco and malt. I do add milk and a tiny bit of sugar so there is a sweetness to it that there might not be for those who drink without. A bit over a teaspoon of tea to 14 oz of water.

I usually steep twice and it holds the flavour pretty well. 3 minutes on the first steep and 4 minutes on the second.

So, I’m sad to say I haven’t written nearly enough reviews of this tea, not enough to match up to the actual amount I drink it.
I make it pretty regularly. It had a good caffeine kick (at least, I think so) that keeps me awake during classes.
Today I made this tea for my Argentinian photographer friend in a handmade teapot thrown by my ceramicist boyfriend. We drank out of two identical mugs which matched the teapot. (A small teapot, for sure, holds about 2 1/2-3 cups of tea, but that’s usually just enough for a friend and I).
I used the leftover tea leaves to brew it again and again, as I’m working on a large-scale watercolor drawing/painting, and I needed something to keep me going.

Interesting. A bit smoky for my tastes, but not too off-putting. I’ve been nursing a small pot for about three hours now… watching movies on my first Sunday off in almost 3 years.

My experiment in tasting several black teas is turning out to prove I haven’t got much of a palate to tell the difference. I found this one alright. It improved with a little sugar, and I liked the way it tasted much better once it had cooled drastically, almost to room temperature.

I’m a big lapsang souchong fan and was hoping the whole “famous smoky” thing would enrapture my tastebuds, but I honestly couldn’t taste it at all. May try a longer steep/more leaf to try to bring it out.

12 oz cup, 1 1/2 tsp leaf, 1 tsp sugar.

Has kind of a roasty, vegetal flavor (sweet potato?), with a slight corn cereal-like taste in the background. I get a lot of chocolate notes on scent, which I couldn’t taste right away, but it is there in the aftertaste. No harshness.
After subsequent times drinking this I definitely prefer it with sugar, seems to accentuate all of the tasting notes I like in there. I also like a relatively short steeping time at lower temperatures.

Bit smokey smell
dark dark amber steep
Not bitter. Not smooth though, bit astringent.

This tea really had a bit of a medicine-y taste to it. I see some comments about astringency and smokiness, which I guess is what I was tasting. I wasn’t particularly fond of that. I’m not sure if different amounts of tea and different steeping times will affect that.