Keemun Encore

Earth, Mushrooms, Plums, Smoke
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason
Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 12 oz / 354 ml

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from the Anhui region of China. Keemun tea, perhaps the most famous of Chinese varieties, is prized for its rich chocolaty flavor, and sumptuous aroma. The ‘Keemun Encore’ is a hand-made, limited production ‘Hao Ya A’ grade tea. It is a rare embodiment of this tea’s wonderful potential.

About Adagio Teas View company

aromas of wood, root, light briskness, and gentle plum sweetness/tartness

This tea is a great “Intro to Keemun 101” tea. All of the keemun notes are there: the smokiness, the earthiness, the touch of fruit (plum) and mushroom….. there are no extraordinary notes in this tea…but it is a textbook example of what should be found in a keemun, so there is good knowledge in this tea. For a beginner flight, this tea would be perfect. The smoke is subtle, which is very pleasing to my palate (I’ve been through too many wildfires, so smokiness doesn’t mean “relax” to me…it means “run!”) the plum is pronounced enough so that a beginner could be able to start picking out fruity notes in other teas. Overall, this is a nice introductory keemun that I wouldn’t turn away.

Flavors: Earth, Mushrooms, Plums, Smoke

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

This is a very fast-brew tea and I find that if it’s steeped too long it can have a bitter astringency that detracts from the lovely mossy flavor. In addition to the earthy mossiness, it has chocolate notes. One of my favorite every day drinking kinds of teas.

Good tea for a cold, rainy day. Mild woody, smoky flavor. Not quite on my list of favorites, but close. I’ll have to tuck this away for another try later.

Woody, with what another taster described as a little briskness. I agree! Tasty.

This is very rich and has an almost metallic bite to it (which I think would be greatly improved by a teaspoon or so of agave). Definitely buying the next size up.