Gingerbread

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Just finished my sample. I have to say, milk really improved it. I wish I had been doing that the whole time. I'm kind of on the fence about trying this again when winter rolls around again,...” Read full tasting note
    tabby 490 tasting notes
  • “Steep Information: Amount: 1 tsp Additives: none Water: 1 zarafina cup, filtered water Tool: Zarafina Black-loose-medium Served: Hot Tasting Notes: Dry Leaf Smell: Sweet fruit Steeped Tea...” Read full tasting note
    amazonv 709 tasting notes
  • “Another Christmas tea that I forgot to drink (until now that is). Another bagged tea from Adagio's Christmas tea collection. It smells like cinnamon rather than ginger but it does have a...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1154 tasting notes
  • “I don't understand this tea at all. It is actually pretty interesting because I can't really nail down just what it tastes like. It is not really gingerbread to me. The dry, crunchiness is somehow...” Read full tasting note
    Tamm 539 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Premium black tea from Sri Lanka flavored with sweet gingerbread. Both Gingerbread men and women agree: this unique tea is the perfect addition to any house (gingerbread or regular). You’ll run, run, run as fast as you can for another cup! Try this limited-time treat.

About Adagio Teas View company

Just finished my sample. I have to say, milk really improved it. I wish I had been doing that the whole time. I’m kind of on the fence about trying this again when winter rolls around again, though. I’m sure there are better things I could be drinking…

Steep Information:
Served: Hot

Tasting Notes:
Dry Leaf Smell: Sweet fruit
Steeped Tea Smell: Sweet black tea, nutty
Flavor: astringent, bitter black tea, a little cake-y
Body: Medium
Aftertaste: bitter
Liquor: Translucent orange brown

Steepster Traveling Teabox Tea

Made this while rushing around in the morning getting ready to go to work.

I didn’t smell spice or ginger, more fruity.

I started the second steep before tasting the first.

I ended up chugging it as it was so bitter and astringent.

It could have used less time (mild) and perhaps cream and sugar to be palatable.

Post-Steep Additives: none

Resteep: Zarafina Black-loose-strong

images: http://amazonv.blogspot.com/2010/04/adagio-loose-leaf-black-tea-gingerbread.html

denisend

I made this one as a chai, and it was drinkable… but still didn’t taste like gingerbread. If you have more, that’s how I’d recommend you try it!

AmazonV

i’ve got a weee little spoon left

Stephanie

Another tea off my wishlist! It’s sad to hear that this was not gingerbread-y.

Miss Sweet

Aw, looks like I’m still on the hunt for the perfect gingery black tea then

AmazonV

task: google gingerbread recipe – try and throw all those things into some black tea

AmazonV

ginger, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, vanilla + sugar …. perhaps a chai mix could do it…

~lauren.

If you blend it, AmazonV, I’ll order some from you! :) You can get into the tea blending business : AmazonV’s amazing Gingerbready Black Tea!

AmazonV

hmmm, i hate being server farm babysitter….And mango, if i start blending by golly i will make a tea with mango in the name that tastes like MANGO

~lauren.

Go For It!!! LOL! I’ll be your first customer! But don’t forget to provide tracking for shipments, that seems to be a huge issue!

AmazonV

being I’ll have minimal income when i start I’ll just deliver them door to door! market it as a premium service :)

~lauren.

Oh dear, but you’ll still be getting these help-us-or-we’ll-expire-without-you phone calls in the middle of the night from your server/computer job friends! I see exhaustion in your future but lots of $$$!!!

AmazonV

lol! yea those pesky servers are after my sleeping time

SoccerMom

AmazonV, LOL I could just see MilitiaJim and Bobbie’s faces if you told them you quit your job to blend tea!! LMAO

SoccerMom

I would order from you though!

AmazonV

Actually, mom offered to help me open a tea shop, I just don’t think I could!
Of course since I pay rent i think it would be a bit of trouble…
and hence why i still babysit the servers (who are behaving this week!)

Another Christmas tea that I forgot to drink (until now that is). Another bagged tea from Adagio’s Christmas tea collection.

It smells like cinnamon rather than ginger but it does have a biscuit style scent to it.

As cinnamon and biscuit like as it smells it tastes more like a strong black tea with a slight cinnamon after taste. I wouldn’t say I could taste ginger at all let alone gingerbread and the black tea is far too strong in comparison to what I should be able to taste. Glad I didn’t drink this one over the Christmas holidays.

I don’t understand this tea at all. It is actually pretty interesting because I can’t really nail down just what it tastes like. It is not really gingerbread to me. The dry, crunchiness is somehow there though. This one is always a toss up. Some days I like it, others it is just weird. I think one of Steepster’s resident awesome tasters should get this and inform me to whatever it is I’m really tasting.

Terri HarpLady

Maybe I’ll get a sample with my next adagio order!

Tamm

That’s how I tried it! :3 I think I got it as a free add-on. I’m wishing the candy apple was good because if the flavor was more up front I’m sure they would go really well together.

I got this tea from Doulton a while back (I think…correct me if I’m wrong). The tea smells quite chai-ish, slightly sweet and gingery, and slightly spicy. The taste was a bit disappointing though, being rather harsh and not terribly flavourful. The ginger’s really only a hint, I’d have like to be able to taste it a bit more readily.

Sorry Doulton, but this tea isn’t getting much love from me. :(

I thought I would give this one another try. I’m still not very fond of it BUT I understeeped to see the difference and I think I like it understeeped for a change usually I like the more bold and dark and powerful types of tastes but this one I enjoy on the lighter side…the ole’ less is more theory.

I ♥ NewYorkCiTEA

At least you’ve found a way to make the tea work for you. Congrats.

Robert Godden

I think I would like this one

This particular tin was a little elderly, so it may have just lost some muscle, but when I made a cup this morning, there sure wasn’t much “ginge.”

On the other hand, with a little half and half, it turns into liquid graham crackers. Paired with the right munchie, I think this still has some possibilities.

Wow… I followed the steeping instructions (1tsp/8oz, boiling, with a 3min steep), but this is just bad.

Each sip is leaving me wincing, and the astringency is off-the-charts. I’m not getting gingerbread here… I’m getting a bitter cup that needs to be dumped. My poor tongue feels numb with a slightly cinnamon aftertaste.

There is absolutely no joy in this cup, and it’s going down the drain.

I’m not even sure if this tea is worth posting to the Take It Away thread. I picked up a couple other Adagio samples to put in a gift basket for a co-worker, and I’m starting to think that would be the absolute worst way to get someone interested in loose leaf.

Enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Not too spicy — kept the steep time shorter than I normally would per everyone else’s experience (thanks, everyone!). The result was rather smooth with a smell and taste that lives up to the name.

Cofftea

This has me curious. What’s the difference between this, their ginger black, their masala chai, and their oriental spice?

Ricky

Did we take the same teas out of the TTB Mike? =P

Mike

@Ricky, haha maybe! Maybe I subconsciously took them based on what I had absorbed from your recent tasting notes…kinda scary ;)

Ricky

Haha, it must be a New York thing ;)

Based on reviews, I was expecting awful. So it was a pleasant surprise when I could easily drink the entire cup!