Candy Apple

Caramel
Edit tea info Last updated by denisend

• “So, I logged back into Adagio the other day and realized I had wracked up enough points there to get some free tea! Like a kid in a candy shop, I picked four sample sizes and paid $1.75 total for...” Read full tasting note
    tabby 474 tasting notes
  • “I JUST got my Adagio Shipment MINUTES ago! Is it sad that I get THIS jazzed about tea, seriously!? Do I have a problem? :) Anyhow...Candy Apple. It's Black Tea with Caramel and Apple scents. ...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “Probably my last pot of tea before bed. I got the 'Adagio Holiday Cheer' gift set from my husband for Christmas and since we have been drinking bagged tea all day (for a change) it made sense to...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1082 tasting notes
  • “Had this again today -- the second last of this flavour I have left in my stash. Given that I haven't washed up since this morning, I made this in a smaller cup than usual. I wasn't all that keen...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 969 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Premium black tea from Sri Lanka flavored with caramel and apple pieces. A taste reminiscent of the trick-or-treating favorite, auspiciously available for Halloween. You’ll think it’s scary how delicious this tea is – but it is only available for a limited time, so don’t miss it!

About Adagio Teas View company

So, I logged back into Adagio the other day and realized I had wracked up enough points there to get some free tea! Like a kid in a candy shop, I picked four sample sizes and paid $1.75 total for it. Love! And this was the first tea I selected.

The first time I reviewed this tea, I was talking about the bagged sample version. Now I’m trying the loose leaf and it does taste a little different. The mouthfeel is much heavier, but otherwise, it seems about the same. Still can’t really taste the cinnamon. Hmm. Also, the apples taste like baked apples, not fresh. I don’t believe I mentioned that before.

I JUST got my Adagio Shipment MINUTES ago! Is it sad that I get THIS jazzed about tea, seriously!? Do I have a problem? :) Anyhow…Candy Apple. It’s Black Tea with Caramel and Apple scents. After steeping it’s scent morphs to something that seems a little bark-like but just a little, not overbearing. The longer it steeps the longer the bark smell…loose leaf-wise NOT actual liquid…thankfully. The After Steep Scent of the liquid is a medium black tea smell. I can taste a caramelly-type taste but it seems like it’s interrupted but something else and I cannot figure out what…but it’s not apple. Just like “Gotta Have More Cowbell” it’s “Gotta Have More Apple”. It’s okay but I was hoping for more apple or a different type taste. It’s not bad, just not really what I was thinking it would taste like, I guess.

Cofftea

I have a caramel flavored oolong that I love. I steep it in apple juice either plain or w/ chai spices… it’s SO much better!

teaplz

It would be interesting if they’d make a jelly apple flavoring! That’s what I think of when I hear candy apple, at least. Does this tea have actual apple pieces in it, or is it just flavoring? Saddened that that flavor didn’t come through!

TeaEqualsBliss

@ teaplz – It DOES have actual pieces in there, yes! I think it just needs more!

MORE COWBELL!

LOL @ LENA! Glad SOMEONE picked up on that! LOL

LENA

you’ve got that apple fever…or rather “feeva” done in my best Christopher Walken impression

LMAO! feeva!!! LOL

gmathis

Yes, it is possible to get that jazzed over tea - for our seven"tea"nth anniversary some years back, my husband surprised me with a big-honkin’ Rubbermaid tub full to bursting with teas and accessories he’d been squirreling away for months. My cuppa ranneth over and I spent days just fingering all the boxes and tins like Gollum and his preciouss…..

teaplz

Awww gmathis! That’s super-sweet!

My mom gets exasperated over my recent tea interests, but my boyfriend is all for fostering them. He keeps badgering me to order some loose leaf tea online, and brings me packets of tea that his mom and grandmother have picked up in Chinatown. :)

TeaEqualsBliss

You know…I don’t use the word EXASPERATED nearly enough. I might have to start! :) gmathis – that’s an awesome gift!

Cofftea

I COMPLETELY agree w/ you teaplz. I still live w/ my mom so she constantly comments on how much I spend.

LENA

@ gmathis – OMG, I wouldn’t know what to do with myself! I would probably cry! What a great gift.

gmathis

Cofftea, sorry … I chuckled at your mom’s “Constant Comment.” Appropriate for a tiff over tea, wouldn’t you say?

silvermage2000

I liked your post. I do agree with you on the tea I hardly got much carmel and was like wheres’s the apple?

Probably my last pot of tea before bed. I got the ‘Adagio Holiday Cheer’ gift set from my husband for Christmas and since we have been drinking bagged tea all day (for a change) it made sense to try a sample from the set. I let my husband pick a tin at random and he chose Candy Apple which sounds very good. I can’t remember the last time I actually had a candy apple/toffee apple.

The pyramid bags are rather clear and I can note finely chopped black tea with a few pieces of dry apple in each. Not quite how I imagined it would taste but alrighty then. The bags have a sweet and slightly spicy (cinnamon?) apple scent. Score :) I just checked the back of the tin and it does say cinnamon.

Once steeped the tea is dark brown in colour with a sweet and fruity scent, not quite candy/toffee apple but more like apple pie. That could be because of the cinnamon, I have never had a candy/toffee apple with cinnamon on/in it before and I cannot see why they have included it in the ingredients.

In flavour this has a strong black tea base which counters a lot of the sweet toffee flavour and the apple is being over taken by the cinnamon. So it’s malty, smoky, spicy and a little fruity.

Oh Adagio, this is far from candy apple. Seriously, why the cinnamon? It’s similar to the previous tea I drank (Dilmah – peppermint and English toffee) in that the black base is just too strong and it ruins the flavours that you would expect it to have.

I’m not saying it’s undrinkable, I can finish the bags that I have…but it’s just not what it says it is in my opinion. Such a shame.

Had this again today — the second last of this flavour I have left in my stash. Given that I haven’t washed up since this morning, I made this in a smaller cup than usual. I wasn’t all that keen on this tea back when I first reviewed it, but I actually think the smaller cup helped matters. I did actually detect some candy apple taste, and it seemed somehow creamier than it is when made in my usual cup, with more of a caramel taste than I detected previously. Maybe that’s the answer with these teas — I shall have to try it with some of the others I wasn’t so keen on, and see if it helps.

Hmm. Food for thought.

I received this with my most recent order from Adagio (last week). I kept forgetting it at work. This worked in my favor this morning as I wanted something different and not something we had in the shop. First off i wish there was some kind of a string on the pyramid bag (didn’t have anything to fish the bag out with at work…fingers were not a good idea).

Dry the tea smells of apples and caramel. The scent of both gets stronger as the tea steeped too. So I was excited…this was going to be good! Well, until it wasn’t. Instead I’m getting a strange mix of the apple, cinnamon (didn’t get that until I tasted the tea) and caramel. It isn’t bad, but it isn’t good either. I think what it needs is a tad more apple and caramel flavoring and less cinnamon. Bummer.

Same story here, got this as a sample with an order from Adagio (I think my tea of the month club, actually). I forgot my tea mug at work yesterday and wasn’t feeling ambitious enough to make tea and find a different mug this morning so I figured I’d just dip into my bag stash in my desk. I used the keurig in my office to get hot water but I have no idea what temperature it reaches. Plopped the bag in and wha? There’s no string?!? Um, ok, that’ll be interesting in about 5 minutes.

5 minutes, one stirer, and a few scalded fingers later I tried the tea and there’s something off about it. I did add some sugar substitute, generic, from Target, which can sometimes give my tea a different flavor (I find splenda or another natural one works best) but I’m not sure that’s it. I get just a tiny hint of apple and then this other flavor. It kinda makes my face mess up for a second after swallowing but I keep drinking it so take it for what you will.

Like others, I received this tea as a free sample with my recent Adagio order. This tea is pretty average. I can’t taste much cinnamon, which I’m thankful for. I agree with others that cinnamon is not something found on a candy apple.

So, what do I taste? Mostly black tea and caramel. I’m not getting hardly any apple at all. In fact, I think any apple in this is wishful thinking on my part. There’s no bitterness I could find, but I did add a little skim milk.

It’s not a bad tea, but there’s something off about it. It’s either the black tea base or the heavy, cloyingly sweet, caramel flavor. It was nice to try, but it’s not something I would crave or buy.

I’m impressed by this tea, but not in a good way. Any tea that can manage to get bitter in two minutes impresses me.

In times of stress, we all fall back on those bad habits we try not to indulge in. It’s been an incredibly stressful week, and my bad habits have been junk food and sodas. I was looking forward to curling up with a good tea to bust the stress and feel better about what I was putting in my body…I should not have reached for this tea.

The front of the sip is stomach-wrenchingly bitter, though the flavor does come through after that. Still, not enough for me to want to finish the cup.

I just don’t get candy apple from this blend. Specifically, the apple is lacking. I can taste something sweet, like maple or caramel. It’s a heavy, sticky sort of sugar layered over black tea. But never apple. I wonder if milk would enhance the flavor and bring out the latent fruitiness?

Jillian

From my experience milk doesn’t usually work well with fruit flavours – but you never know, I guess.

I got a sample bag of this in my most recent tea order. I wasn’t sure I’d like something so flavored, but then I loved it! The smell was great, the taste was fun, and I found myself wishing for more. Very clever, Adagio… very clever.