Lapsang Souchong

Campfire, Dark Wood, Smoke, Fireplace, Smoked, Pine
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “EDIT: I think that Adagio has done something very WRONG with their Lapsang Souchongs in the past year--or else my taste has evolved. I would not order from them again. It's weak and...” Read full tasting note
    Doulton 255 tasting notes
  • “Le sigh... I realized that I haven't had this tea in about 2 months due to my overflowing tea cupboard (and bookcases). I actually picked up some decorative picture album boxes this weekend to...” Read full tasting note
    Rabs 361 tasting notes
  • “Cold, rainy weather...check. Long, rough day at work...check. Strong desire to get new samples of tea...check. All of these things mean it is time for some comfort, coming tonite in the form of...” Read full tasting note
    cinoi1551 243 tasting notes
  • “i got a small sample bag of this so i could keep tinkering with my personal sherlock blend. but i put one scoop aside so i could try it straight. not the best lapsang i've had. but still smokey...” Read full tasting note
    shmiracles 741 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from the Fujian province of China. Lapsang Souchong tea (also called Russian Caravan tea) has a famously smoky aroma and flavor. To create this, tea leaves are dried in bamboo baskets over pine fires, achieving a perfect balance of smoke and tea flavor. The ‘Eroica Caravan’ typically draws strong reactions: you’ll either love it or hate it.

About Adagio Teas View company

I had a little bit of this left in my tin so I thought I’d try finishing it off! It’s a very smokey tea. To be honest the first time I’ve ever heard about Lapsang was from Colin Hay’s Beautiful World(one of my favorite songs!) when he was talking about making tea :] So I had to give it a try. When I opened the package I smelled beef jerky. It kind of grossed me out. But then I tried it and loved it. It tastes like a campfire smells. MMM. I agree with most people saying you’ll either love it or hate it. It’s definitely something everyone needs to try at least once.
My, my, my it’s a beautiful world. :]

Poor Suchong indeed:( Many by now has been out off by the assertive smokiness , what ever happen to the enjoyment of single malts= scotch whiskey and smoked goods? Has anyone ever tasted deeply smoked meats…why not this tea? However, tastes are gradual acquired and those that do brave in drinking a cuppa of this fine tea will be rewarded!(to the content of Mrs. Hua. Its camp fire tea with much of the smokiness of fire and piney body that does not go bitter or too astringent. Its not all that smoky either! Its very well balanced enough for those used to Keemun, this tea is probably best to be introduced into Lapsang! Drink on Steepterites!

This is such a love it or hate it tea. Me? I love it. Tastes like a campfire. I’m a camping sort of person, so that works out well for me. Perfect on a gloomy, rainy, cold night.

Oh my lord…….it’s BBQ water. If I wanted this flavor in a liquid, I would grill a few porterhouses, scrape the grill with the traditional wire brush, and then collect and brew the particulate matter left over after all the scrapeage. DEFINITELY not what a tea should be in my opinion haha.

Kudos to all of you whose taste buds can handle (let alone enjoy) this!!! lol

gmathis

I’ve always said lapsang souchong tasted like sucking bacon rinds!

Pat

Honestly, I can’t believe how awful it was…haha…..I usually find some redeeming quality in every tea I try, even if I don’t prefer it….but this one? I can’t imagine how this tea made a name for itself…I know some teas have a nice umami/meaty flavor like Adagio’s black tea Golden Spring (excellent, by the way,) but this takes meaty n smokey in the totally wrong direction lol

Oolonga

Now I want to try it… just out of curiosity… lol
I doubt I will like it, I’m not into BBQ flavored teas either.

Pat

Haha, def try it…I always encourage trying new things, even things that may make you cringe, just for the experience lol…but buy as small of a quanitity as you possibly can! :) and if you end up liking it….well then, rock on with the Souchong :P

This is the second time that I’ve had Lapsang Souchong tea and the first that I’ve enjoyed it. The previous time was a teabag version back in college which was really bad. When I opened up the bag the smoke aroma was strong enough to be scary but once I brewed the tea, the tea aroma came off as a lot more mild and not scary at all. The main thing that surprised me was how light the tea was overall with a nice sweet and slightly smoky taste to it. If you like beef jerky there is a good chance that you will like this tea. Overall I find it to be pretty good for something different and I will gladly finish off the 3oz bag that I have but I doubt that I will bother to order again as while it is good there are a lot other teas that I enjoy more.

Inspired by Angrboda’s re-affirmation of her love of smoky teas, I decided I was in the mood for some Lapsang Souchong. I basically HAVE to be in the mood for lapsang souchong or the smokiness just overwhelms me.
Honestly, there was once a time when I did not even like Lapsang Souchong, so sit down, pull up a chair and let Grandma Ewa (yeah, I’m 26, work with me here) and I will tell you the story of how I came to like it: One fine day, I received a black tea sampler and tea press as a present from my brother and I realized that Lapsang Souchong in leaf form is quite tasty if I’m ready for it. The End. Now get grandma some bourbon.

I decided to give this tea a try after a signature blend was reviewed on adagioteaV that contained it. I looked it up and the story intrigued me so I ordered a sample of it. When I opened the tin I was immediately taken to a place that I have never actually visited, but could see so clearly in my mind. I was in a smoke shack surrounded by wild game of all kinds and outside there was a camp fire burning. This is not my favorite tea by any means, but it is so different that it makes a great “check this out” sample. I can’t wait to get a hold of some of my dad’s deer jerky and drinking this with it. Great anytime I want to feel like an outdoorsman.

Wiseman Tea Co.

occasionally I’ll mix it with whiskey, try it sometime

Geryd Vandenberg

warm or do you chill the tea?

Wiseman Tea Co.

i’ll usually do it warm. Its great side by side as well. Especially with a good bourbon, the smokey characteristic of lapsang really compliments it well. Great thing about being a tea drinker is we have a great variety at our disposal.

This one is pretty good, I love Lapsang Souchong this one isnt as smokey as i like buts still a good one.

This is one of the most unique teas I have ever tried. It literally tastes like a campfire, in a good way. I read about the processing of this specific tea, and it is indeed oxidized near a fire. You may not like it, but its very unique.

Michelle Butler Hallett

A good lapsang souchong is just heavenly. Very refreshing, too, depsite (allegedly) not having much caffeine.

I’ve found that Lapsang Souchong is, for a lot of people, rather like Guinness: You either love it or hate it. I love it. The scent and taste remind me of hot cups of tea around a campfire when I was young. This is one of the few dark teas I can stand without a sweetener even though it’s a little astringent. I love breathing in the smoky steam and it just makes me feel cozy.