Lapsang Souchong

Campfire, Dark Wood, Leather, Meat, Pine, Wood, Smoke, Fireplace, Smoked
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “EDIT: I think that Adagio has done something very WRONG with their Lapsang Souchongs in the past year--or else my taste has evolved. I would not order from them again. It's weak and...” Read full tasting note
    Doulton 255 tasting notes
  • “Le sigh... I realized that I haven't had this tea in about 2 months due to my overflowing tea cupboard (and bookcases). I actually picked up some decorative picture album boxes this weekend to...” Read full tasting note
    Rabs 361 tasting notes
  • “Cold, rainy weather...check. Long, rough day at work...check. Strong desire to get new samples of tea...check. All of these things mean it is time for some comfort, coming tonite in the form of...” Read full tasting note
    cinoi1551 243 tasting notes
  • “i got a small sample bag of this so i could keep tinkering with my personal sherlock blend. but i put one scoop aside so i could try it straight. not the best lapsang i've had. but still smokey...” Read full tasting note
    shmiracles 744 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from the Fujian province of China. Lapsang Souchong tea (also called Russian Caravan tea) has a famously smoky aroma and flavor. To create this, tea leaves are dried in bamboo baskets over pine fires, achieving a perfect balance of smoke and tea flavor. The ‘Eroica Caravan’ typically draws strong reactions: you’ll either love it or hate it.

About Adagio Teas View company

Most either love or hate Lapsang Souchong tea. I love Lapsang, but absolutely hated Adagio’s rendition. Instead of a pleasant smokey fragrance, the tea had an acrid almost chemical aroma. When brewed, it was sour and tasted (as I would imagine it to taste) like turpentine. It’s possible that the tea was dried too close to the pine or some of the resin made its way into the tea. Maybe I received a bad batch, but I’ve had a lot of really good Lapsang from other merchants so I’ll stick with them.

Very smoky, but the scent mellowed as the tea cooled slightly. I enjoyed the sensory freak-out, but after this cup I developed a killer headache. Not sure what happened there. I’d like to use this in more unorthodox ways, such as marinades.

I forgot to brew myself some LS when I had my BBQ the other day. Oops. So I had some this morning with my savory oatmeal – steel cut oats with ham and cheese. Yum. Good pairing.

Now I’m slowly sipping the rest of the pot down as I wait to see if my right eye is going to calm down any. I have yet another eye infection. Ugh. I had big plans for the day too! I wanted to go to a new exhibition at the Dallas Museum of Art of works on paper; with a metal concert tonight. Now I’m putting drops in my eye hourly and hoping allergy pills and ibuprofen will convince the swelling to go down.

/whinge

I have at least enough of these leaves left for another pot on another day, and then a whole envelope of a Mandala LS to try out soon. I shall LS again! :)

Flavors: Pine, Smoke

I have been consistently disappointed with Adagio’s teas since ordering several of their sample packs last week. I decided to order a large amount of blacks, greens and whites to try the brand, after hearing so many good things. Unfortunately, Adagio does not live up to the hype. I find myself having to steep the teas far longer than instructed just to get SOME flavor out of them, even at the proper steeping temperature. They are weak, thin, and the only characteristic I am close to being thrilled about are the scents and smells. They are spectacular, if only the flavor itself lived up to the smell.

That said, of the teas I’ve tried, this one seemed to be the closest to satisfactory. I’m not sure if it’s that my taste has been thinned from drinking weak teas all week, or if I’ve actually stumbled across a decent tea. It’s smoky, the liquor is darker than other Adagio black teas I’ve tried, but still far lighter than a black tea should be. I am being generous with the rating because I didn’t hate the experience. And the smell is giving me the kick I was looking for in the tea itself.

My first Souchong was one cup from a local coffee house a long time ago. This is my second, so I don’t have much to compare it to. It’s not as smokey as that first cup, which is good. In fact, this feels like the right amount of smokiness – like inhaling campfire smoke, but not enough that you’re choking to death. This tea would go great with marshmallows.

As for the negative: once you get past the smokiness, there’s not much else there. I don’t get much of a tea flavor. Is this tea, or diluted Liquid Smoke?

But whatever, I like it. And I love the smell – I think I get more enjoyment from smelling it.

Not as smokey as some lapsangs that I have had that I’d equate to drinking BBQ. It is however fairly tasty and goes to show that the smokiness doesn’t have to be the main attraction and one can pull almost minty notes from it.

I’m quite pleased with this one. Delicious smoky aroma — satisfying without overpowering the sweet notes underneath. Very smooth even texture and flavor. Lacks any harsh astringency.

[Consider brewing a bit stronger next time.]

incredibly smoky and awesome.

Lapsang Souchong, that infamous Love It Or Loathe It tea. I fall into the Love It camp, but even then I still have to be in the right mood to drink the stuff. Luckily today was chilly and brisk enough to give me a craving for liquid bonfire after I’d gone to the dentist for a tooth cleaning. (Begone, pesky tea stains!)

I usually just take my tea straight, no sugar, no milk, no lemon or anything. I made an exception today though. I got out a giant mug which I’m fairly certain is intended for soup and holds the same amount of drink as my teapot (it’s a personaliTEA from Adagio) and after putting the water on to boil I added a fair helping of sugar and milk to the mug. I started to panic a little when I finally poured the Lapsang, sure that I’d used far too much milk as it pretty much still looked like milk when I’d emptied my small teapot into the mug. Wonderfully, though, it tasted perfect! It was sweet and creamy and smokey and even better than I would have hoped it might be! I’ll probably never be able to replicate those ratios of sugar, milk and tea again though.

SO GOOD!