Lapsang Souchong

Campfire, Dark Wood, Leather, Meat, Pine, Wood, Smoke, Fireplace, Smoked
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “EDIT: I think that Adagio has done something very WRONG with their Lapsang Souchongs in the past year--or else my taste has evolved. I would not order from them again. It's weak and...” Read full tasting note
    Doulton 255 tasting notes
  • “Le sigh... I realized that I haven't had this tea in about 2 months due to my overflowing tea cupboard (and bookcases). I actually picked up some decorative picture album boxes this weekend to...” Read full tasting note
    Rabs 361 tasting notes
  • “Cold, rainy weather...check. Long, rough day at work...check. Strong desire to get new samples of tea...check. All of these things mean it is time for some comfort, coming tonite in the form of...” Read full tasting note
    cinoi1551 243 tasting notes
  • “i got a small sample bag of this so i could keep tinkering with my personal sherlock blend. but i put one scoop aside so i could try it straight. not the best lapsang i've had. but still smokey...” Read full tasting note
    shmiracles 744 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from the Fujian province of China. Lapsang Souchong tea (also called Russian Caravan tea) has a famously smoky aroma and flavor. To create this, tea leaves are dried in bamboo baskets over pine fires, achieving a perfect balance of smoke and tea flavor. The ‘Eroica Caravan’ typically draws strong reactions: you’ll either love it or hate it.

About Adagio Teas View company

My general opinion of any lapsang souchong is that it’s like drinking bacon rinds. After disliking my small sample, I passed it to a friend, who did the same to another friend, and I’m afraid it ended up fertilizing somebody’s houseplants.

Mum recommends boiling water, and big pinch is enough. Taste and nose evoked memories of slithering into my sleeping bag with a nice, comforting coating of warm campfire smoke.

I haven’t reviewed this tea? I could have sworn I did. Oh well, maybe I’m thinking about Teavivre’s version.

Anyway, it was 33°F this morning. A harsh wakeup call, if you ask me. So, I wanted something strong and wintery. No iced Earl Grey for me today!

I’ve had lapsangs before, but this one smells like straight up bacon cooked over a wood stove. Or cooked outdoors, at least. It’s smoky, but not in a cigarette way. In a nice fall way. You know that smell that fills your car for a moment when you pass someone burning leaves in their yard? It’s sort of like that.

However, the flavor is much less intimidating than the aroma. It’s actually a very smooth black tea. Hardly astringent and not bitter at all. It also doesn’t taste charred. More cured than burned. In the forefront are smoky pine notes, followed by leather and meat. I know it’s odd to think of tea as meaty, but I definitely taste something that makes me think of bacon.

While I know most people don’t like lapsangs, I still recommend this tea. It’s an unusual experience that I think people should have at least once. You never know, you might love it!

Flavors: Campfire, Dark Wood, Leather, Meat, Pine, Wood

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Smells like wood smoke, tastes like drinking rich, dark wood.

Flavors: Campfire, Dark Wood, Smoke

Boiling 5 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I was one of those precocious children with the tendency to stick my little nose, literally, physically into anything I found even remotely interesting. It was because of my innate curiosity, and inability to process a lesson until I’ve had to cycle through the worst of it some three-five times that I’m able to categorize so many different scents today. That being said, the moment I stuck my still little nose into this bag of Lapsang souchoung – a tea which I gave never even heard of until visiting this site – I was immediately brought back to the first time I’d hovered my face over my uncles barbecue during an annual neighborhood block party and inhaled a black lungful of burning hickory wood. I don’t recall actually liking that smell, something that naturally didn’t stop me from sticking my head in the barbaque some three more times before the end of the day. I still can’t pass by southern or Jamaican barbecue in Brooklyn in the heat summer with out taking in deep breath —just to smell that charred wood smoke. Memories.

Babbling nonsense aside; I haven’t tried this tea yet. I bought it with the sole purpose of creating a custom Russian caravan blend. So I won’t be giving this tea a rating, yet. -it’ll be far into the clutches of New York winter before I so much as glance at a black tea to drink again. shrugs Mostly I just felt like telling a story.

Backlog 9/67

What tea. So campfire. Wow. Much smokey. Many burning.

I am … floored. By the incredible similarity between taking a whiff of this tea and standing by a campfire. It’s incredibly evocative of a campfire. I mean, I feel I need a shower because obviously if I’m smelling this, I smell of smoke. Right?

I had to try this. I saw so many people talking about Lapsang Souchong and it sounded like something people really inflate with their descriptions because how could tea smell like a campfire? Well guess what. It does. It’s a freaking pouch of campfire. And I brewed it and tasted it. I was very brave.

It was not a bad taste. I mean, I didn’t expect it to be so… not-bad. I smelled it and thought “This will make me lose my lunch.” It didn’t. The warm flavor was smoky and strong, but not bad.

I can’t figure out why anyone would want to drink it tho. I mean, I can see how it smells amazing and reminds me of beef jerky that I used to get when I was a kid… but I don’t see how it would be something you’d think “Man I really want a cup of that right now.” Maybe in blends. But… straight? No. Not for me.

It wasn’t bad tho. It just … wasn’t something I see myself wanting to drink.

So I have tried Lapsang Souchong. I have done it. Now I know. That is all.

Flavors: Campfire, Fireplace, Smoke, Smoked

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Sarsonator

Wow. So amaze. Many lapsang. Much souchong.

Mandy

Hey something we agree on. I’m actually not even brave enough to try it if I’m being honest. I don’t like smelling like a campfire, and I don’t like the smokeyness I’ve had in teas, so I’m almost positive I would lose my lunch, haha.

Arshness

There has to be SOMETHING eh? But you haven’t tried it. :P Who knows! I didn’t like it >_< But I’m not saying I’d never taste one again. Who knows? Maybe it’s good with mint or something.

Lion

I felt somewhat the same way with the Lapsang Souchong. It does smell EXACTLY like campfire, and the nostalgia that it brings me is nice. It can get some butterflies going from memories of wonderful bonfires past, but I also drink a bit and think “Hmmm… is this a flavor/aroma I really want to drink?” It’s not one I see myself keeping on hand often. I see it sort of as something of a “novelty” tea. There are a few teas I’ve encountered that are that way. I wouldn’t really love to have them often, but there is something interesting enough about them to share with a friend or two and see what people think.

Now your mission is to try NON-SMOKED Lapsang Souchong. I wasn’t aware it existed until I randomly was sent a sample of it with some teawares I ordered. I’m not sure what to make of it!

You’ll probably love or hate this tea, but I love it. The tea smells smoky out of the bag and maintains that smell after steeping. It reminds me of evenings spent next to a campfire with friends and then discovering you still smell like campfire smoke the next day. Maybe I’ll take this tea next time.

Aroma and flavor reminiscent of beef jerky. Not awful, but strange.

Dark and smoky. Made using a french press.

Followed some advice, lower temperature (just under rolling), more tea (three spoons for 2 cups), shorter brew time (3 minutes) and it has worked wonders on my Lapsong. The dark amber of the two was in full swing by 3 minutes, almost looking like rooibos. It was smokey but no bitterness in the end. In fact the end tasted like water, perhaps too thin?
The second steeping (3 minutes), this time no sugar, tasted of green tea, wondrous, and the smoke has settled to a low ember, not burning at all- excellent to the palate.