Lapsang Souchong

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “EDIT: I think that Adagio has done something very WRONG with their Lapsang Souchongs in the past year--or else my taste has evolved. I would not order from them again. It's weak and...” Read full tasting note
    Doulton 255 tasting notes
  • “Le sigh... I realized that I haven't had this tea in about 2 months due to my overflowing tea cupboard (and bookcases). I actually picked up some decorative picture album boxes this weekend to...” Read full tasting note
    Rabs 356 tasting notes
  • “Cold, rainy weather...check. Long, rough day at work...check. Strong desire to get new samples of tea...check. All of these things mean it is time for some comfort, coming tonite in the form of...” Read full tasting note
    cinoi1551 243 tasting notes
  • “i got a small sample bag of this so i could keep tinkering with my personal sherlock blend. but i put one scoop aside so i could try it straight. not the best lapsang i've had. but still smokey...” Read full tasting note
    shmiracles 712 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from the Fujian province of China. Lapsang Souchong tea (also called Russian Caravan tea) has a famously smoky aroma and flavor. To create this, tea leaves are dried in bamboo baskets over pine fires, achieving a perfect balance of smoke and tea flavor. The ‘Eroica Caravan’ typically draws strong reactions: you’ll either love it or hate it.

About Adagio Teas View company

Just the sort of warm smoky cup I was looking for on this chilly, damp night!

A few years ago I went to Australia with a friend of mine.
We were on the plane and they had brought us some bread, butter and Vegemite. My friend obviously hadn’t had it before, and started to spread it directly on the bread in much the same manner and thickness that you would with peanut butter, or jam. Being a good friend, I of course said absolutely nothing.

The reason I bring this up now is I imagine my face did exactly what his did when tasting this tea for the first time. I was expecting smokey, and got a mouthful of campfire.

I’ll try it again soon with a shortened brew time, and perhaps after rinsing the leaves first. I enjoy smokey, just evidently not enough.

I really like smoky flavors and was excited to receive this but it was not at all what I was expecting. The smoky/pine flavor was very faint and almost unnoticeable. The predominant flavor was a harmony of pork chops, barbecue sauce and iodine. While some teas have failed to impress me, this is the very first time I thoroughly dislike one. I can’t even finish what I have and some co workers who drink tea don’t want it, after taking a whiff at the pouch they say “no thanks.”

For me, Adagio’s LS lacks character. The tea behind all the hoola boola (i.e., the lovely smell of smoky pines) is bland, bland, bland. I have tasted many fine LS’s from other companies and unfortunately this LS has failed in my book.

I had a cup of this for breakfast. This was the strong smoke taste I was looking for. The tea was bold but not overpowering in any way.

This traditional Lapsang Souchong is made from an Oolong tea — what must be a very good Oolong tea, because its flavor is still distinct and complex despite shining through a veil of smoke. The smokiness is intense, but not quite overwhelming. Think of a campfire made from pine branches. For those who like a real Lapsang Sounchong with a strongly smoky flavor, this tea is very good. But some will prefer a Lapsang Souchong that is not this smoky.

I love lapsang souchong, and I love Adagio, but I just don’t love their lapsang souchong. Maybe it was a bad batch. I’ll try it again.

i love this tea. it’s dark, rich and smoky, like drinking incense! i did not get beef jerky or any meaty flavor from it, as some have suggested… i think it really is a love it/hate it sort of thing. i like it plain, or with a bit of milk and brown sugar.

As they say, “you’ll either love it or hate it.” I pretty much hated it. I will try it again in the cooler autumn months, but until then, I’m staying away from the creosote flavored lapsang souchong.