Golden Monkey

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from the Fujian province of China. Golden Monkey tea is hand-processed each spring with a careful plucking of only one leaf and one bud. It is among the finest Chinese black teas available today. The name comes from its unique appearance: the leaves resemble monkey claws. If you enjoy full-bodied teas with an abundance of flavor, you should give this tea a taste.

About Adagio Teas View company

Although this is a fine, bold black tea, I find it to be a bit much for my tastes. I haven’t compared it to others in the same class and might find them overwhelming, as well. As a fan of more of the lighter, less intense teas, I recommend it for those who like the heavier flavors and not so much for others.

For some reason, I have great luck with black teas with the word “golden” in them. A good everyday tea, not mind boggling… but sometimes I don’t need to be boggled.

Golden Monkey is and has been my favorite black tea for a while, although the frequency that I drink blacks has gone down a lot. The brew has a light sweetness with a few light citrus notes to it and a nice lingering aftertaste for a second or two after each sip. As others have mentioned it also makes a great ice tea the times that I’ve made it iced although I mainly drink it hot.

Fantastic all around tasty tea. Not too bitter even if you oversteep it. Personally I drink this one black as it requires no cream or sugar.

I tried this one for the first time this morning. From the reviews I’d read, I’d expected something a little bit different, but I was quite pleased with what I ended up getting. The main thing that surprised me about this tea was how much of a honey smell it had. While it was steeping, the fragrance was really sweet. It didn’t have as much of a honey taste, just smooth and easy to drink. I will definitely have this one again soon!

Another Steepster called this a peppery tea, and I’m going to borrow that description. It was good, and (yes) peppery.

A different tasting black tea. Has an interesting after taste. All in all a pleasant morning tea.

I normally shy away from peppery teas, but Adagio’s Golden Monkey is very smooth and satisfying. jtchampeau, I’m going to have to try a cold brew the next time I have it!

Great black tea, good any time of the day. It naturally has a sweet flavor, not much sugar needed. For brewing I used boiling water for around 4 minutes