Pu Erh Dante

Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
High
Edit tea info Last updated by The Purrfect Cup
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 3 g 5 oz / 154 ml

• “I am officially, certifiably crazy. I tried this about a year ago, and it's been one of the VERY few (only?) teas I couldn't even get past the 1st sip. But I've decided to get back into pu erhs...” Read full tasting note
    Cofftea 865 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown no. 110 of the year 2014. My inaugural use of the Yixing pot! It may not have been the best choice because I had very little left, not really enough to fill the 140 ml pot to one third or...” Read full tasting note
    __Morgana__ 951 tasting notes
  • “2/3/14 3rd and last of a pu-erh flight. 3g/100ml gaiwan/212F Washed. This tea showed well in the gaiwan, and was easily my favorite tea in this tasting. The dry leaf had a pleasant...” Read full tasting note
    AnnaEA 84 tasting notes
  • “I can't pronounce the name of this tea for the life of me, but that hasn't stopped me from enjoying it! Steeped for an extra minute today, and I'm not sure if it unlocked an extra something special...” Read full tasting note
    coryobrien 104 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from the Yunnan region of China. Pu Erh tea, perhaps the most esoteric of Chinese varieties, has a pronounced earthy aroma and taste. It is very popular in China due to its notoriety as a slimming diet tea. Recent studies seem to support this claim, but attribute this property to all teas. The earthy taste is not subtle. Chances are, you’ll either love it or hate it.

About Adagio Teas View company

1st steep, 4oz water, 4g leaf (after 15 second rinse)

It’s a rather lovely reddish-brown color; there’s certainly a barnyard aroma, but it’s bringing back rather fond memories of a brief spate of horseback riding lessons I had in middle school, so I’m okay with that. I’m not going to try to break it down further – barnyard=hay/dirt/manure/horse. I’m not getting the fish that some others mentioned, fortunately. There is zero bitterness or astringency, and some sweetness. I’ll be curious to see how the flavors evolve.

2nd steep: I didn’t imagine it, there is a bit of an oily sheen on the surface of the tea, just after it’s poured. This faded as the tea cooled. Same dark red-brown color, same sweet barnyard taste, but slightly lighter in flavor and texture.

ETA: Ended up getting 5 steeps out of this, all 20-30 seconds, before it started getting weaker. My tin was very old, inherited from a former roommate and buried in a drawer, so your mileage will likely be better.

Wow this smells different than my typical black morning tea (Ceylon Sonata). This was the last sealed bag in my black sampler from Adagio. Maybe the name Dante scared me off since I didn’t want to end up in the inferno?

It steeped cloudy which startled me, has a very different nose from any other black tea I’ve tried. The smell reminds me of rain on clay if that makes sense with a hint of dust, smoke and dark spice added in, something my wife adds to the Indian curry for flavor, maybe black cardamom? The taste is fairly mild in comparison to the smell, tough to compare to anything since I’m not sure I’ve tasted something like this before.

The aftertaste is long and layered in that it starts with a black tea flavor and ends with a bit of astringency and bitterness almost 5 seconds after swallowing. All in all this one goes in the “needs further research” pile since my first impression isn’t bad, but it might need a different approach to steeping/preparation.

I used two heaping teaspoon fulls with just under 2 cups of water.

As far as I understand, this tea is not exactly a high end pu erh. I am not a pu erh expert and, in fact, this is the only pu erh I’ve tried. I have nothing bad to say about it, I really like the strong earthy flavor and aroma. I normally brew it in a gaiwan and can get 5 or 6 infusions. I normally fill the pre-heated gaiwan with enough leaf to leave it almost full after they unfurl, the first infusion is only a second long or so to wash the leaves. Then I just infuse for 10 seconds at a time until the flavor gets weaker and then double the time.

This is a good, inexpensive introduction to pu erh teas. I might experiment with other higher end pu erh teas soon.

This isn’t a great Pu-erh by any measure, but it is drinkable. It brews a deep red cup of tea with an earthy and slightly fishy aroma. The taste is more earthy than fishy. The first steep is flavorful, while the second is pretty weak. Don’t think I’ll buy it again, but if someone offers me a cup down the road I’ll drink it.

Cofftea

Have you tried the rinsing, highly concentrated, short steepings method yet?

This was my first experience with a pu-erh tea. I steeped it for about 4.5 mins at about 200. It has a pretty interesting flavor to it. You can taste the earthy flavor it has to it. The smell (while not bad at all) has a small seafood smell to it. This smell does not transfer (completely) over to the taste. Do not get me wrong this is a pretty good tea, but if you do not like earthy teas this one is definitely not for you.

One the first things I thought of this tea when I opened it was that it smelled like mushrooms. That scent comes across more in the brew. The flavour reminds me a bit of mushroom soup. Certainly very earthy.

Flavors: Mushrooms

boychik

i love mushroom soup. i dont think you liked the tea. Right? Did you rinse it first?

Lariel

I did rinse first, but I wasn’t that flavour to be so prominent. Not that I mind mushrooms. It’s not that I didn’t like it, more it wasn’t what I wanted at the moment. Might end up using it as a rice flavouring.

boychik

that never occur to me. Good idea!

Lariel

It’s one of the most savory pu-erhs I’ve had. Nothing wrong with that really, but I’d like it more if it were soup.

As a puerh drinker in a past life, I feel like I have been the only person to say something about puerh dante besides how awful it is. I don’t know, I guess I have low standards. I think it’s the kind of tea that you like for it’s flaws. At least the earlier puerh dante was like that. Since then I think Adagio found a higher quality puerh to call puerh dante. It’s very smooth, which one would expect from cooked puerh. There is almost a malty flavor upfront that ties the earthy flavors together. Puerh dante was my introduction to puerh, and I liken it to going in the woods and smelling dirt and rotting vegetation. It might not smell pleasant at first, but you learn to like it. At least, that’s how I view this tea. I didn’t like it at first, but I grew to like it. This doesn’t seem like the same tea I first tried, but it is a welcome change. Adagio traded in a very earthy puerh for a cleaner, maltier puerh. Not that earthy is bad.

Boiling 1 tsp 7 OZ / 207 ML

Smokey fish taste overwhelms my first sip. For the first time EVER, I am dumping the rest of my cup. This will be given away.

well this is an odd bird, although i should have expected that. pu-erhs are infamous for their oddness, after all! i didn’t think to rinse the leaves, so my first infusion was 2-3 tsp of tea in 16 oz of boiling water, steeped for around 5 minutes. HOLY silage, batman! the scent hits your nose first, a rich multi-layered combination of wet soil, compost, tobacco smoke, and rotten vegetation. the first sips were incomprehensible, but once the tea had cooled a tiny bit, similar flavours roll over the tongue delightfully. after the tea had cooled a bit more (still hot, mind), the flavors all collapsed into the taste of damp sand, which was disappointing. poured out the rest of that cup, started on the second infusion. boiling water, about 5 minutes again, the brew is just as inky brown from the moment the water hits the tea – does this stuff not dilute? the aroma of the tea this time around is a little sweeter – more rotting vegetation than tobacco smoke, less peat and more compost. this is not a bad thing, mind. the flavor has calmed down a bit, it is a bit less sharp, a bit less complex; it tastes more like a tea now. this is definitely not an everyday tea for me, however i can imagine it being an amazing after-dinner drink, served in small cups, shared amongst friends, like a fine sherry.

You know, most people will say that pu erh is for the “seasoned” tea drinker. What do I say? I’m not so sure I agree; I am pretty n00b when it comes to tea and I still have a lot to learn, but I enjoy it. Perhaps most people can’t get past the fishy smell of the brew. But to me, it is very faint and unless you’re looking for it, you will hardly notice. The taste is very earthy, but not too overwhelming. I steeped it for only 4 minutes and will extend the steeping time the next time I cross paths with this tea in my cupboard.