Pu Erh Poe

Black Pu-erh Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from the Yunnan region of China. Pu Erh tea, perhaps the most esoteric of Chinese varieties, has a pronounced earthy aroma and taste. It is very popular in China due to its notoriety as a slimming diet tea. Recent studies seem to support this claim, but attribute this property to all teas. If you are partial to Pu Erh teas, try delighting your palate with the rich taste of this superior grade tea.

About Adagio Teas View company

Velvety texture and earthy, this one has some nice herbal complexity to it. The flavor profile is similar to coffee from Sumatra with a lingering and somewhat juicy finish. The aroma recalls afternoons spent exploring the storage rooms in the barns back on the farm. There an odd dusty component as well.

Saw Cofftea trying this out so I bought a sample. 1st steep 15sec. Real mild not strong like the few others i have tried. Will follow his timing for others. Great stuff

Well…reminds me of silage, you know, the old hay/cornstalks/whatever is left after harvest that is stored by the farmer in a silo, left all winter to ferment and to feed the cows when there’s nothing green to eat? That stuff. Fermented half-rotten cornstalks in a barn warmed by 30 head of cattle and their various bodily excretions and fulmigations.

Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, mind you. Kinda.

__Morgana__

A friend of mine (a big foodie and an excellent cook) will only buy imported butter because she says all butter made in the US tastes like silage. After she said this, I did a taste test myself and though I’m not sure I’ve encountered silage before in my life, she’s right about the taste difference.

juliebeth

Aw man that sucks! At least fermented tea is expected to taste a little…like rotten vegetation. Btw, by the end of that cup i decided i liked the warm barn flavor. Not loved, but liked.

Holy fish! This doesn’t smell like much of anything dry, but upon brewing it smells very fishy. But then you sip it, and there is a bit of an aquatic note, but it isn’t nearly as fishy as it smells unless you are taking a huge whiff while sipping. It is less nuanced than many others I have tried. Good, but not great.

Pu Erh teas in general can be pretty daunting. I bought this tea as part of a set from Adaigo and knew that it was going one of the harder ones to understand/get. I brewed the tea in a few different methods, but tossing out the instructions on the bag gave the most success. This tea needs to be rinsed the first time through, it’s only on the 2nd and 3rd infusion that the flavors comes out. What a color! It was almost completely black, like coffee. This is a very earthy, hay like, musky, garden like tea.

It was my least liked tea in the Adaigo pack but is more of a function of how it is a different type tea compared to the other ones. I look forward to trying others and learning to brew it in a more gentle manner.

absolutely awful. this tea smelled like dirt and fish when dry; when brewed the smell was lessened but still there. I am not afraid of smoky and earthy flavors, as I enjoy lapsang souchong and scotch whisky, but I just could not enjoy this tea

My first taste was “as is” and I didn’t find it objectionable, but not to my liking. So this time I followed (sort of) the recommendations others had made. I poured some boiling water through the tea basked, then steeped it. Ok, it still isn’t to my liking, but almost. I might consider trying another small sample pack sometime, but there are many other teas to try first.

At first the earthy smell reminded me of what I used to feed my goats. This is not inherently bad, but it is an awkward association which made the tea hard to enjoy.

In a second attempt to enjoy this tea I decided to add coffee to it. Weird? Perhaps. I put equal parts coffee and tea together. It is excellent! The tea cuts the bitterness of the Coffee, and the Coffee cuts the earthiness of the tea. The result is rich and smooth. try it.

Finally remembered to bring in some tea to the office and I’m starting the week on some Poe pu-erh. This is a very tasty pu-erh.
Enjoy.

Certainly more enjoyable than the Pu Erh Dante from Adagio. It’s much smoother, less dense and more delicate. I’d imagine that this would appeal to a much wider group of tea drinkers.