Yunnan Jig

Cannabis, Chocolate, Malt, Mineral
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Mmmm. I think that TeaEqualsBliss said that this was bold yet comforting, and she's exactly right. This is my first Yunnan tea. The dry leaves themselves smell a bit peppery, and they're a...” Read full tasting note
    teaplz 186 tasting notes
  • “This was the first Yunnan that I had ever tasted and immediately became one of my favourites. I owe my love of Yunnan blacks to this tea. I still have a little bit of this to finish off and it's...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1155 tasting notes
  • “This is the last of my stash. I have been thinking about making a purchase from Adagio because I have so many credits there...but have been trying to wait for some new stuff. Anyone know of any...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “Halloween party tonight and what better way to make sure I'm bright and awake? I think I used a bit too much dry leaf because it has a slightly bitter aftertaste but oddly enough it almost seems...” Read full tasting note
    JillDragon 1629 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from the Yunnan region of China. Yunnan tea is easily identified by its luscious soft leaves, and a unique peppery taste. It is a very forgiving tea; will not taste bitter when over-steeped. Yunnan tea is arguably the most underrated of Chinese varieties. If you have yet to try it, we would recommend it highly. The ‘Yunnan Jig’ would make a great introduction.

About Adagio Teas View company

Drank this as an after dinner treat with almond wafers – the smooth earthiness was just right.

Curse Adagio and their samplers! I like all of the teas in their black sampler, and am beginning to panic now that I am getting low on a number of them. How to choose what to order next?

takgoti

I run into the same problem with samplers. Damn the sample sets! DAMN ALL THE SAMPLE SETS!

Jillian

MOAR samplers? ;)

Cynthia Carter

Yes, I could buy more samples, but . . . it makes me feel like such a tea tramp.

I ♥ NewYorkCiTEA

I heart samplers.

Jillian

Bah, think of it as free (tea) love. ;)

Starfevre sent me this one a while ago but I’m just now writing a tasting note for it! Thank you! I had this once before! I used a teaspoon and a half of leaves, since Yunnans seem to be chocolatier that way. This one is VERY good. I’m rarely disappointed with Adagio’s blends. I could easily stock up on this one (and most of Adagio’s teas)! It’s a perfect starter if you are new to Yunnan and need an example of how they taste.

Steep #1 // a few minutes after boiling // 3 min
I’ve already gulped down most of this delicious cup – so dark chocolatey! With stone fruit/apricot. Medium bodied, not a tough black tea, as I’m finding Yunnan teas aren’t. Never astringent or bitter. So so good! Malty, a bit peppery. I definitely like this with a teaspoon and a half. Just the perfect Yunnan.

Steep #2 // a few minutes after boiling // 4 min
This cup is just as lovely.. I don’t know why more people don’t reuse leaves! There has only been a handful of teas that have been noticeably not re-steepable worthy. This cup was slightly more peppery though. The third cup was okay, not as amazing as the others – it went with dinner! This tea reminds me of Butiki’s Golden Lion Assam… which I just bought because it is my favorite tea ever. Well, I’ve got two more steep sessions worth of leaves anyway!

We got the Adagio sampler with that cute little tea pot thing-mah-jig in it. There is a small book too. I think I was mostly attracted to the pictures in it. Any who on to the tea.

If all yunnans are like this one then I like them. Nice smooth tea to keep around for those days when you don’t want to challenge your brain or tongue. That almost sounds like an insult. Perhaps, I should say a comforting tea. A hint of malt or grain with your honey like sweetness should go a long way after a hard day. There is a moderately thick mouth feel to it. While not super impressive, it’s a good solid tea to keep around.

My first pot of this yesterday I steeped for 5 minutes. I think I should have steeped a bit longer though. The golden-amber liquor was malty and sweet but a bit light-bodied compared to my last experience with this tea.

The second pot though was definitely steeped long enough. I doubt anyone would say that 45 minutes was NOT long enough. Entertaining a 3 year old and a six month old does that to your sense of time unfortunately. Thankfully this is a very forgiving tea, although I wasn’t expecting it to taste even better than the first pot. My eyes went as big as quarters at the first sip and I’m afraid the 17oz of tea did not last very long! It was sweet, malty, and mellow with a bit of a honey taste and a buttery mouth feel with only a hint of astringency in the aftertaste.

200 °F / 93 °C

I adore Adagio’s Yunnan Noir, and now that I’m out for the time being, I’m making due with their other two Yunnans that are in my cupboard, Jig and Gold. Yunnan Gold is actually the first Yunnan of theirs that I tried and loved. Yunnan Jig is one that I’ve neglected, mainly because it’s the cheapest/lowest quality of the three. But it’s still good, and still has all of those great Yunnan qualities – the slight earthiness, the cocoa taste, and the peppery spikiness on the tongue.

LissaMarie

i haven’t tried this yet, but i might think about ordering a sample next time. I adore their yunnan noir, though.

S

Bethany, what is the biggest difference you taste between the different grades? Bitterness? Amount of cocoaness? Earthiness? I’ve never had yunnan before, so I’m curious as to which one I should try :)

Bethany

@Shanti Hmm. They are all similar but very different, as well. Yunnan Jig is definitely the least cocoa-ful of the three and has more of an earthiness to it than the others. Yunnan Gold is the most peppery with a slight cocoa aftertaste and some earthiness. And Yunnan Noir is almost exclusively cocoa-tasting, with very little earthiness or aftertaste.

None of the three are bitter at all. They’re all very smooth – the pepper taste is the only thing that could be conceived as “bitter.”

S

Oh okay. I think I’m going to go for the Yunnan Noir, then! I also want to try the Black Dragon Pearls, and compare it to the Yunnan Noir. I’ve read that it’s also supposed to be earthy and cocoa-y. :)

Smells a little earthy and musty with a hint of Chili pepper. Wet the leaves smell like soggy noodles. There is very little astringency and it is very smooth and light in the mouth. I probably could either use more leaf or steep it longer.

Azzrian

Chili pepper YUM!

This is ever-so-slightly smoky, and it’s probably the highest amount of smoky that I can tolerate. I don’t know why I don’t like smoky teas. I guess it just always reminds me of meat or something. I never liked much smoky meat, and having not eaten any meat in over 8 years, it just… isn’t a taste I like. I do like the occasional bit of smoky cheese, though… Go figure.

I like this tea. The reviews imply that it’s not quite what a Yunnan should/could be, so I would be interested in trying another. It’s a nice contrast to my usual sorts of tea.

over steeped this :( i can finally taste the pepperyness of this now though. i think i like it stronger. i was looking for a cup of something boring and un flavored, but i didnt get it lol. this tea is always interesting when i have it. it has subtle differences each time and i look forword to the next new thing that this tea pops up for me :)

Cofftea

WOW! If this is only a 1st infusion you definitely oversteeped this. lol Just use more leaf next time.

Kitch3ntools

o yeah i did i can taste it more and more and i drink it. it isnt bitter at all though which is nice. i gotta try and not get myself distracted when i make this :p

Cofftea

NOT bitter? at 6.5 min how the heck did you manage that one? Just seeing the time made my stomach churn lol!

Kitch3ntools

i added sugar lol it was a preemptive strike so i wouldn’t waste it :) usually the sugar wont make the bitterness go away it just makes it tolerable. i wonder if my water wasnt hot enough or i was just really lucky

Ricky

If I make my tea too bitter, I just steep the leaves again but I cut the time and mix the two steepings together. It usually balances it out.

Kitch3ntools

ooo ill have to try that! especially with my strawberry that one gets way too bitter and no matter how much sugar i add its still gross

This is a real classic Yunnan tea. Rich and savory flavor, with a slight cocoa powder finish. Earthy and spicy and soft, smooth, creamy mouthfeel and finish. Adagio has a variety of Yunnan teas, some that are higher rated and higher priced, but this is probably my favorite. It is beautiful to see the mixture of gold and black leaves, and the aroma of dry leaves, wet leaves and liquor are all quite nice. Just a touch of peppery flavor and it brews up well in a teapot, gaiwan or gong fu style. A really nice experience for newcomers to loose and/or Yunnan teas.

This tea has a pleasant earthy taste that is also somewhat malty. The earthiness reminds me of the puerh I tried, except that this is much more pleasant. Not my favorite, and I probably wouldn’t buy it again, but pleasant enough.