Yunnan Jig

Cannabis, Chocolate, Malt, Mineral
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Mmmm. I think that TeaEqualsBliss said that this was bold yet comforting, and she's exactly right. This is my first Yunnan tea. The dry leaves themselves smell a bit peppery, and they're a...” Read full tasting note
    teaplz 186 tasting notes
  • “This was the first Yunnan that I had ever tasted and immediately became one of my favourites. I owe my love of Yunnan blacks to this tea. I still have a little bit of this to finish off and it's...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1067 tasting notes
  • “This is the last of my stash. I have been thinking about making a purchase from Adagio because I have so many credits there...but have been trying to wait for some new stuff. Anyone know of any...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “Halloween party tonight and what better way to make sure I'm bright and awake? I think I used a bit too much dry leaf because it has a slightly bitter aftertaste but oddly enough it almost seems...” Read full tasting note
    JillDragon 1572 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from the Yunnan region of China. Yunnan tea is easily identified by its luscious soft leaves, and a unique peppery taste. It is a very forgiving tea; will not taste bitter when over-steeped. Yunnan tea is arguably the most underrated of Chinese varieties. If you have yet to try it, we would recommend it highly. The ‘Yunnan Jig’ would make a great introduction.

About Adagio Teas View company

Definitely one of my favorite teas. Has a strong, bold taste that attacks you, so it makes a wonderful substitute for a cup of coffee. Has tinges of a citrus-like taste— I’m tempted to say that the “texture” and the way it feels being swallowed is what’s reminding me of citrus.

Anyone one can just taste the earth, time, and the many flavors of life with this wonderful and generous tea! I say its generous since it offers quite allot for a tea of its renown at a low price, wonderful for its mellow, medium bodied, richness and textures that come to symbolize time itself! A complex cacophony of soil, peppery notes, a bit of leather, a definite chocolaty aroma that seemingly crying out loud for attention. Its a must to those just getting into Yunnan teas and definitely something to admire Yunnan for!

I adjusted the steep time down this time and yielded much better results without the bitterness. This is a great, inexpensive tea that has a good balance of smokiness, maltiness, and pepperiness. This specific Yunnan is lighter on the cocoa than other Yunnan blacks I’ve had.

Again, you’ll really only get one strong, robust cup of tea. The second cup tastes much weaker, and a third cup, while still having a dark liquor, has little flavor at all.

This was my first taste of a Yunnan, and I must say I’m pleased. Not over the moon, but certainly satisfied. The dry leaves smell of slightly fruity chewing tobacco. Not a sweet fruity like ripe melon, but more of a distinguished, earthy fruity like raisins or young whiskey. The taste is a mirror image of the smell, slightly robust with distant wine-like undertones. Perhaps a bit sweeter than you would expect, especially when it has cooled a little. It also has a pleasant malty flavor on the back-end that increases with brewing time. I find 4 minutes creates a perfectly mellow balance. At least for me. The look and texture remind me of slightly watered-down coffee, in the best way imaginable. Plenty of body and slight astringency make this a home-run for coffee drinkers searching for a softer alternative.

All in all, Yunnan Jig makes for a pretty enjoyable cup, and I could see it being a go-to, at least until I give some of the other Yunnan’s a go. And while my “first love” blacks such as Irish Breakfast and Earl Grey jerk me awake with blatant potency, I am quickly falling for the more delicate, sophisticated flavors of the Yunnan.

After what happened earlier today I’m not sure I should continue with tasting notes, since I’m questioning everything… Therefore I’m putting this one in with no rating.

I am on my second steep for this and am liking it…

It’s nose has a hint of something fig and maybe licorice? It almost smells like a good fig newton bar to me. It tastes slightly malty and bold with a pleasant lingering after taste… It has a hint of sweet over what I normally taste within my Ceylon Sonata. All in all this tea has convinced me to add some Yunnan to my future purchase/experimentation list.

So, I got this tea because I’m looking for a replacement for my beloved Celestial Temple Peaks that Teavana stopped selling. And this one is pretty close.

The appearance of the dry leaf was encouraging, nice big pieces with the golden buds that are what make a Yunnan tea special. When brewed, the tea is mellow, with a sweet, slightly smokey, slightly chocolatey edge. I approve.

Yunnan Jig from adagio, what can I say about. Yummy comes to mine. I was very pleased with this tea. Drinking it gave me a warm comfy feeling. Cocoa came to mind when the aroma hit my nose after first opening it. Tasting it was even more of a surprise, I just wanted to come back for more. Since I only had a sample size I will have to make sure I get a larger quanity to have on hand.

Another pleasant tea. Not at all bitter. Couldn’t taste the characteristic peppery flavors.

I have been drinking mostly white tea lately and the last black tea I drank was Adagio Chocolate which I didn’t give a favorable review. So it was refreshing to have a black tea and this was a great tea to try. With some teas I have to try the companies suggestion and then maybe tweak it a little to get the taste I want, especially with black teas. I’ll have to say following the instructions for Yunnan Jig worked great and it had a pleasant taste with a subtle aroma. It is perfect with cake, pie, or a cookie dessert and I give it two thumbs up

Note: I will try this tea again after drinking more black teas because it is quite possible drinking mostly white may make this taste better than it did. When I do I will post an update here

I’m ready for more! Yannan Jig (I got it with the black tea sampler from Adagio) happened to be an almost random choice this morning but I’m quite happy with it.

It’s an easeful black with no sharp, strident, or bitter notes. I didn’t really get the peppery or smoky taste that others have referenced. I did feel, however, that this is a candidate for a great every-day wake-you-upper. My first cup of Yunnan Jig felt like meeting somebody who might be a candidate for a good friendship. I want to try more and audition it for my stable of reliable teas.

It’s not dashing or daring, but I think it could be lovable in the way that a somewhat plain girl like Jane Eyre manages to get under your skin and stay there.