Yunnan Jig

Caramel, Chocolate, Fig, Leather, Malt, Mineral, Molasses, Orange, Spices, Tobacco, Vanilla, Wood, Cannabis, Cocoa, Coffee, Earth, Forest Floor, Maple, Milk, Tannin
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from the Yunnan region of China. Yunnan tea is easily identified by its luscious soft leaves, and a unique peppery taste. It is a very forgiving tea; will not taste bitter when over-steeped. Yunnan tea is arguably the most underrated of Chinese varieties. If you have yet to try it, we would recommend it highly. The ‘Yunnan Jig’ would make a great introduction.

About Adagio Teas View company

Let’s start catching up on this backlog of mine. Also, let’s go ahead and state that I have a sentimental attachment to this tea. It was the first Yunnan black tea I ever tried. It was also maybe the second or third loose leaf tea I ever had. I have been familiar with this one since I was sixteen years old. This tea was a friend to me through both high school and college. With all that out of the way, understand that this tea played a formative role in my appreciation of tea, thus it is unlikely that I will be able to review this one entirely objectively.

I brewed this one two ways. The first preparation was a one step Western infusion. For this session, I simply steeped 1 teaspoon of loose leaves in 8 ounces of 212 F water for 5 minutes. The second preparation was gongfu. I steeped 6 grams of tea leaves in 4 ounces of 212 F water for 5 seconds. This infusion was followed by 8 second, 10 second, 12 second, 15 second, 20 second, 25 second, 30 second, 40 second, 50 second, and 1 minute infusions. I will comment on both.

The 5 minute steep produced a tannic and slightly spicy tea. I detected aromas of chocolate, vanilla bean, leather, wood, malt, spice, caramel, and molasses. In the mouth, there were notes of chocolate, malt, caramel, molasses, leather, tobacco, wood, orange peel, vanilla bean, and spice. The gongfu preparation was slightly different. Prior to infusion, the leaves revealed aromas of spice, chocolate, leather, malt, and molasses. In the mouth, the first three infusions produced increasingly rich notes of molasses, chocolate, malt, caramel, orange, fig, spice, wood, leather, tobacco, vanilla bean, toast, and menthol. From the fourth infusion on, the tea began to soften, offering increasingly malty and toasty aromas and flavors underscored mostly by chocolate, vanilla bean, orange, tobacco, caramel, and molasses. A slight minerality started to become evident around this time as well. The final infusions offered mostly mineral, toast, and malt notes, though I could still detect fleeting impressions of chocolate, caramel, and molasses.

This tea was not quite as good as I remembered it being. It lacked the smoothness and depth of some of the Yunnan blacks I have tried over the course of the past year. Still, I would not call it bad by any stretch of the imagination. I could see this tea being a good starting point for those new to Yunnan black teas.

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Fig, Leather, Malt, Mineral, Molasses, Orange, Spices, Tobacco, Vanilla, Wood

Boiling

(Opens the bag and takes a big inhale.)
Ahhhh yes there it is, that fig molasses scent I love so much in Yunnan teas. Gets kind of a minerally hot springs smell when steeped. Taste is all basically the same, kind of mild but good. Maybe I need to increase the temp. next time? Seems to have a similar price to their Yunnan Noir, which are both decently bang for buck Yunnan teas.

SIPDOWN: Rich complex nose is slightly spicy. The taste also has a strong spice component. It is very complex. Fairly powerful. Some cha qi. This is a fairly unusual tea, with a flavor hinting of clove, cocoa, and cinamon, but not really like any of them. I really enjoyed it.

200 °F / 93 °C 4 min, 0 sec 2 g 6 OZ / 177 ML
Terri HarpLady

It’s been awhile since I had that one, but I recall it being one of my favorites from Adagio, along with the yunnan noir.

This is a comforting, albeit precocious tea. It can bring you to the sensations of an old forest with one cup. When brewed with a good amount of leaf for a strong flavor, I’m utmost cautious not to oversteep to prevent the bitterness or malty taste from becoming overwhelming. Sweet, woody, and earthy, people often tell me it has a coffee taste and I agree with them completely. Sometimes it tastes obviously of milk, or takes on a hint of sugar. The variety of flavor is so delightful and changes on a whim.

Flavors: Cannabis, Cocoa, Coffee, Earth, Forest Floor, Maple, Milk, Tannin, Wood

190 °F / 87 °C 1 tsp 4 OZ / 130 ML
teatortoise

I love that forest floor was added as a flavor. I once described this red tea to someone as tasting like a forest floor. I was astounded to find it listed!

This strong tea brews up a bit too heavy for my tastes – I’m not sure if I overleafed or what, but it was far too thick and powerful for my palate. If I decide to have another go at brewing it I’ll definitely try cutting the leaves down by half.

So it’s an interesting tea, but not for me…

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

T&C TTB Tea # 17 Backlog May 28

Cannabis is one of the flavors listed for this?? weird. CANNABIS? Ok, people, whatever you say!

This one wasn’t bad, I didn’t really get any chocolatey notes. There seemed to be a bit of a sour/bitter note on the end of the sip… It was ok.

I decided it wasn’t worth keeping because I have so many other tasty black teas. So I put it back in the box.

I finally ordered from Adagio. I see I should have done this sooner, but not for the reasons you’re thinking. You see, thanks to Steepster, Lupicia might have brought me to this board, but I went straight to Butiki, Andrews & Dunham, Verdant and TeaVivre after that. I kinda went straight in with the big guns, and now I have Adagio. Hmmmm…..

Now, don’t get me wrong, this tea isn’t bad. It has a very light mouthfeel….I steeped for 5 minutes, but it could have gone longer. The oak/cannabis/mineral(?)/light malt top note is balanced well with the chocolate bottom note….but it isn’t a stunner. This tea is a good intro to “boutique teas” if a friend comes over and you want to share your passion, but don’t want to give them something over the top (like Laoshan Black or Congou Keemun). I wouldn’t turn it down, but I wouldn’t buy more, knowing what’s out there in big world of teas these days. Photo here: https://twitter.com/squeediebeebert/status/477864371922948096

Post script: Even as it cools, it tastes nice. And that’s how I’d describe this tea….nice.

Flavors: Cannabis, Chocolate, Malt, Mineral

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
apt

cannabis hm

donkeyteaarrrraugh

apt, I’ve never smoked pot, but I’ve gone to a zillion concerts (starting in the early 80s) and it’s a note I get with teas often….the strongest cannabis flavor was in Laoshan Black by Verdant. Drinking it was like going to a Led Zeppelin gig!

Smooth malty with a pepper finish left on the tounge and the mouth.

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

T&C TTB#18: This one was just okay. Bit of mild hay and dust. Not much malt. It’s drinkable but I’ve had better yunnans, that’s for sure.

This was once upon a time my favorite black tea. I have had this tin for quite sometime, so it doesn’t have the punch it once had., but I still love this one when I’m in the mood for a stronger black tea.

It’s dark and sort of honey/copper colored and smells quite malty. It has a subtle honey like flavor, that I believe I remember being stronger when this tea was fresher, but it is still there. Mostly it’s malty goodness. I’m enjoying it right now with and english muffin and I think it goes great with grain based breakfast. I enjoy drinking this with a hearty oatmeal.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML