Yunnan Jig

Cannabis, Chocolate, Malt, Mineral
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Mmmm. I think that TeaEqualsBliss said that this was bold yet comforting, and she's exactly right. This is my first Yunnan tea. The dry leaves themselves smell a bit peppery, and they're a...” Read full tasting note
    teaplz 186 tasting notes
  • “This was the first Yunnan that I had ever tasted and immediately became one of my favourites. I owe my love of Yunnan blacks to this tea. I still have a little bit of this to finish off and it's...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1066 tasting notes
  • “This is the last of my stash. I have been thinking about making a purchase from Adagio because I have so many credits there...but have been trying to wait for some new stuff. Anyone know of any...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “Halloween party tonight and what better way to make sure I'm bright and awake? I think I used a bit too much dry leaf because it has a slightly bitter aftertaste but oddly enough it almost seems...” Read full tasting note
    JillDragon 1572 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from the Yunnan region of China. Yunnan tea is easily identified by its luscious soft leaves, and a unique peppery taste. It is a very forgiving tea; will not taste bitter when over-steeped. Yunnan tea is arguably the most underrated of Chinese varieties. If you have yet to try it, we would recommend it highly. The ‘Yunnan Jig’ would make a great introduction.

About Adagio Teas View company

T&C TTB Tea # 17 Backlog May 28

Cannabis is one of the flavors listed for this?? weird. CANNABIS? Ok, people, whatever you say!

This one wasn’t bad, I didn’t really get any chocolatey notes. There seemed to be a bit of a sour/bitter note on the end of the sip… It was ok.

I decided it wasn’t worth keeping because I have so many other tasty black teas. So I put it back in the box.

I finally ordered from Adagio. I see I should have done this sooner, but not for the reasons you’re thinking. You see, thanks to Steepster, Lupicia might have brought me to this board, but I went straight to Butiki, Andrews & Dunham, Verdant and TeaVivre after that. I kinda went straight in with the big guns, and now I have Adagio. Hmmmm…..

Now, don’t get me wrong, this tea isn’t bad. It has a very light mouthfeel….I steeped for 5 minutes, but it could have gone longer. The oak/cannabis/mineral(?)/light malt top note is balanced well with the chocolate bottom note….but it isn’t a stunner. This tea is a good intro to “boutique teas” if a friend comes over and you want to share your passion, but don’t want to give them something over the top (like Laoshan Black or Congou Keemun). I wouldn’t turn it down, but I wouldn’t buy more, knowing what’s out there in big world of teas these days. Photo here: https://twitter.com/squeediebeebert/status/477864371922948096

Post script: Even as it cools, it tastes nice. And that’s how I’d describe this tea….nice.

Flavors: Cannabis, Chocolate, Malt, Mineral

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
apt

cannabis hm

donkeytiara

apt, I’ve never smoked pot, but I’ve gone to a zillion concerts (starting in the early 80s) and it’s a note I get with teas often….the strongest cannabis flavor was in Laoshan Black by Verdant. Drinking it was like going to a Led Zeppelin gig!

Smooth malty with a pepper finish left on the tounge and the mouth.

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

T&C TTB#18: This one was just okay. Bit of mild hay and dust. Not much malt. It’s drinkable but I’ve had better yunnans, that’s for sure.

This was once upon a time my favorite black tea. I have had this tin for quite sometime, so it doesn’t have the punch it once had., but I still love this one when I’m in the mood for a stronger black tea.

It’s dark and sort of honey/copper colored and smells quite malty. It has a subtle honey like flavor, that I believe I remember being stronger when this tea was fresher, but it is still there. Mostly it’s malty goodness. I’m enjoying it right now with and english muffin and I think it goes great with grain based breakfast. I enjoy drinking this with a hearty oatmeal.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

One of my go-to daily teas…smooth & comforting on a chilly spring day.

So against my better judgement and the safety of my wallet, I’ve been considering an order from Andrews & Dunham teas (in addition to a golden moon order). Specifically of their Yunnan Gold Tips, which sound oh so tasty, but is oh so expensive for a tea I have no idea if I’d like or not. Unfortunatly I have very little set distinction between the differences of Assam, Ceylon, Yunnan, Keemun, etc aside from what they’re vaguely supposed to taste like and what people say. I’ve been mostly concentrating on flavored teas since I started. One day I’m going to get solid examples of each and make them all and compare. But that’s a project for another time.

Anyway, I found this Yunnan in my Adagio samples and figured that it would give me something vaguely to expect, though probly comparing this and the A&D tea is like comparing apples and cherries. XD But it was something.

Dry this smelled chocolaty and rich ish. I only had about two tsp left so I dumped the rest into a strainer and added a bit over my usual 12oz. Now this is where I may have gone wrong, or possibly the temp (205*), or even the time (3min), but this cup is pretty undrinkable to me.
It’s fruity and chocolaty smelling, and the very beginning instant of the sip is good, but it immediately turns bitter and astringent. So I’m not sure if it was me or the tea, though I remember making a fine cup when I first got the sample, so it’s probly me.
But now it makes me question whether I want to take the chance with the fancy A&D yunnan tea. /sigh/ making this cup didn’t help and now I’m dissatisfied. Meh. But then again, it means that I’ll just have to brew another tea to make up for this one. Lol.

donkeytiara

did you ever order from Andrews and Dunham?

This was a soothing tea for this sick day. I won’t say much more at this point as I doubt my taste buds likely are not functioning properly.

Method: Gongfucha with 4 grams of tea to 100 ml of water with a quick rinse.

Upon opening the bag there is the scent of warm honey lifting off of the leaves. The leaves are very nicely shaped, indicating good quality leaves.

1st Steep (10 seconds): The Color is a light orange-red and the liquor Smells brisk with a dash of honey. The Taste is light, similar to weak brewed Ceylonese black teas, but with an undertone of honey. The Aftertaste has a stronger honey quality to it, and keeps it for a long time.

Second Steep (15 seconds): The Color has turned into a much darker shade of amber and the Scent has picked up a peppery quality. The Taste is a strange, but pleasant, mixture of honey and pepper. The Aftertaste is lingering, still with the enticing peppery taste to it.

Third Steep (20 seconds): The Color has become even darker, to a deep red. The pepper Smell has mostly overtaken the honey, but it remains a warm and enticing cup. The Taste, instead of becoming more peppery as expected, become brighter, but still with that nice mixture of pepper and honey. The Aftertaste is bright and simply lingers in the back of your mouth, very nice.

Fourth Steep (25 seconds): The Color of the liquor is still a deep shade of red, and the Smell has lost a bit of its brightness for more pepper. The Taste has become bright, with peppery overtones and light honey undertones. The Aftertaste is now completely the taste of sweet black pepper.

Fifth Steep (30 seconds): The Color has paled slightly and has become a blit more orange. The Scent has let up on the pepper for more honey, a little smokiness can be smelt there too. The taste is dropping the pepper for a kind of “smoked honey”, it’s still very nice. The Aftertaste is that of a bright honey, with a bit of pepper in the finish.

Summary: This tea is wonderful, it is inexpensive enough for an every day tea, but has the high quality so that it can be savored (I WILL be steeping this batch more than 5 times, it still has more to offer :) ). looking into my gaiwan, you can see that the leaves are whole, and made of buds and small leaves.

I managed to get 7 excellent infusions with an additional 3 nice infusions out of this tea

205 °F / 96 °C

I’m not quite sure how I feel about Yunnan Jig. It’s a decent black tea, but I’d say it has a bit of cigarette to the flavor. It grew on me as I drank it, so I’m a bit back and forth.