Yunnan Jig

Caramel, Chocolate, Fig, Leather, Malt, Mineral, Molasses, Orange, Spices, Tobacco, Vanilla, Wood, Cannabis, Cocoa, Coffee, Earth, Forest Floor, Maple, Milk, Tannin
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from the Yunnan region of China. Yunnan tea is easily identified by its luscious soft leaves, and a unique peppery taste. It is a very forgiving tea; will not taste bitter when over-steeped. Yunnan tea is arguably the most underrated of Chinese varieties. If you have yet to try it, we would recommend it highly. The ‘Yunnan Jig’ would make a great introduction.

About Adagio Teas View company

One of my go-to daily teas…smooth & comforting on a chilly spring day.

So against my better judgement and the safety of my wallet, I’ve been considering an order from Andrews & Dunham teas (in addition to a golden moon order). Specifically of their Yunnan Gold Tips, which sound oh so tasty, but is oh so expensive for a tea I have no idea if I’d like or not. Unfortunatly I have very little set distinction between the differences of Assam, Ceylon, Yunnan, Keemun, etc aside from what they’re vaguely supposed to taste like and what people say. I’ve been mostly concentrating on flavored teas since I started. One day I’m going to get solid examples of each and make them all and compare. But that’s a project for another time.

Anyway, I found this Yunnan in my Adagio samples and figured that it would give me something vaguely to expect, though probly comparing this and the A&D tea is like comparing apples and cherries. XD But it was something.

Dry this smelled chocolaty and rich ish. I only had about two tsp left so I dumped the rest into a strainer and added a bit over my usual 12oz. Now this is where I may have gone wrong, or possibly the temp (205*), or even the time (3min), but this cup is pretty undrinkable to me.
It’s fruity and chocolaty smelling, and the very beginning instant of the sip is good, but it immediately turns bitter and astringent. So I’m not sure if it was me or the tea, though I remember making a fine cup when I first got the sample, so it’s probly me.
But now it makes me question whether I want to take the chance with the fancy A&D yunnan tea. /sigh/ making this cup didn’t help and now I’m dissatisfied. Meh. But then again, it means that I’ll just have to brew another tea to make up for this one. Lol.

donkeyteaarrrraugh

did you ever order from Andrews and Dunham?

This was a soothing tea for this sick day. I won’t say much more at this point as I doubt my taste buds likely are not functioning properly.

I’m not quite sure how I feel about Yunnan Jig. It’s a decent black tea, but I’d say it has a bit of cigarette to the flavor. It grew on me as I drank it, so I’m a bit back and forth.

Very delicious liquor. Would also recommend as a daily tea. Very smooth and relaxing. Relatively easy to prepare.

This tastes wonderful. A little earthy with lots of cocoa undertones. It’s velvety and luscious. Rich, dark, and a little sweet. It’s a great black.

This reminds me of a mushroom artichoke heart marsala pasta dish I’m fond of making—rich and smooth with a big hit of umami, a slight saltiness reminiscent of a hard aged cheese, and a fruity winey sweetness in the background. I dig it!

A dark chocolate or cocoa smell, the tea has a pleasant earthy flavor to it, reminiscent of walking through a deciduous forest after a fresh rain.

195 °F / 90 °C 8 min or more

Resteeped this, and I can definitely taste pepper in the finish now. I did steep for 7 minutes this time, versus 5 minutes the first time.