Yunnan Gold

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “OK. What is it? The weather? Stress? Why the heck am I so tired tonight? Seriously, I could probably go to bed NOW. Except I'm not gonna. I don't know what it is with me and this latest batch...” Read full tasting note
    Aeoliana 299 tasting notes
  • “thanks so much for the trade, Starfevre! The leaves here are definitely gold and I did notice a peppery fragrance on the dry leaves before reading about the pepper in the description. After a...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1283 tasting notes
  • “1 heaping tsp in 8 oz OK, this is not nearly as good as I remember! Probably because I've had much better teas in the meantime. Thanks for spoiling me, Steepster!!! The aroma is what I...” Read full tasting note
    RachelJ 110 tasting notes
  • “So this is the third Yunnan black tea that I've had today and the only one that has tasted even remotely right. Smooth and slightly peppery with slight malty notes but not a lot. After...” Read full tasting note
    Starfevre 501 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from the Yunnan region of China. Yunnan tea is easily identified by its luscious soft leaves, and a unique peppery taste. The ‘Yunnan Gold’ as the name implies is an exceptional quality tea with beautiful gold-colored leaves and an abundance of rich peppery flavor. Allowed to take only one tea to a desert island, ‘Yunnan Gold’ would be the clear choice.

About Adagio Teas View company

Another tea that comes to symbolize Yunnan and importantly comes close to Pu-Erh in the boldness and richness factor! Anyone can really smell the rich soily, minerally, a tad bit medicinal spicy , and when brewed imparts a wonderful complex mixture with a prominent leathery aroma. The brew itself is a rich composition of clay-like, minerally, peppery, with a dash of honey that is fairly noticeable. Its quite a tea almost similar to Teavana’s “Temple Peaks” yunnan equivalent, but without astringency, bitterness, and fully smooth medium bodied tea.

Decent, very drinkable for the price. Used this as a wedding favour and everyone loved it.

I’ve been drinking this several days in a row as I’m out of my current chocolate chip tea and need to reorder soon. Yunnan Gold is a good Chinese tea — smooth with a bit of pepper to liven things up. I’ve been using a small amount of sugar in my tea lately because I’ve been so tired, so the sugar actually brings out the rich flavor of this tea (despite me not wanting to use sugar usually).

This is an excellent tea. Try it.

When it comes to black teas, I usually tend to go with ones that have been flavored. But Yunnan Gold is an absolutely fantastic plain black tea. Certainly it’s a bit on the pricey side, but it’s well worth it in my mind. It’s such a rich tasting tea. Full of flavor, with some lovely peppery notes and a lot of body. I’ve found this a great tea to pair with just about anything, or to enjoy on it’s own, curled up on the sofa with a good book.

I have only tried black tea without milk once, and it was a horrific experience. I bought a sample of Adagio’s Yunnan Gold, just to see if I could force myself to like it. Oh. My. Word. It’s amazing! None of the bitterness I’d previously experienced (I realise that was probably my brewing method), no horrid aftertaste… Just smooth, slightly peppery (I think) and delicious. I am so happy right now, I thought that I would never be able to drink black tea without milk, but now I am feeling much more confident. Just lovely.

Mellow and malty with a slight sweetness. Like others have said it is a little mellow and not as peppery as they describe. I steeped for three minutes I’ll try four next time. I was expecting an almost spicy aftertaste and instead its more of a subtle smokey dark chocolate, but I might be pushing it. Its pretty mellow. I got the adagio sampler package and I’ll see what I think of the other black teas.

Beautiful dry leaf appearance. The liquor is golden and smooth. Not much as far as mouthfeel but a sort of peppery honey quality to it. Absolutely delicious.

More delicate than most Yunnans. i really like it.

Really good tea. Taste’s really sweet for being a black tea.

Malty. 1st steep had more punch