Yunnan Noir

Black Tea Leaves
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
High
Edit tea info Last updated by The Purrfect Cup

• “So I am in the "happy" position of having the course schedule of dumb. Specifically, on Tuesdays, I currently have class from 9-10 am and then 3-9pm. THREE TO NINE WTF. I may drop one of the...” Read full tasting note
    chibibigos 382 tasting notes
  • “*Sipdown*. Infusion number one before I head off to work. (Edit several hours later) So I did like 2.5? teaspoons of this in ~2 cups of boiling water. Didn't let it steep quite as long this...” Read full tasting note
    Aeoliana 288 tasting notes
  • “Tea of the morning (my that seems so long ago) shared with the husband, thanks to *Michelle!* A decent black tea, not astringent, nothing offensive, held up to three infusions but no shining...” Read full tasting note
    autumn hearth 300 tasting notes
  • “Okay, I’m pretty sure I’m in the minority here, but I love Adagio’s new bags. They are cute and I like the feel of them and even the samples are resealable. I don’t know about everyone else, but...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Yunnan is a region in China known for growing large-leaf tea. High mountains covered by mist, clean water and rich soil form ideal growing conditions and contribute to the unique flavor of Yunnan black tea. The Yunnan Noir is a hand-rolled version of this famous variety, with tightly rolled leaves into a “black snail” shape. The aroma is sweet with hints of honey and fruit. To the palate it is red wine-like with notes of fruit and cocoa and reveals an intense depth of character with each beguiling sip.

About Adagio Teas View company

I’m rather fond of this tea when I’m looking for a simple loose-leaf black tea. In my estimation, it’s perfect without sugar. The flavour can get extremely bitter if you over-steep it, so it is definitely a tea to keep an eye on, but it has a rich, mellow taste when you’ve steeped it right.

Absolutely splendid! This is a gentle black tea: smooth & sweet, and it doesn’t seem to tend towards bitterness. Aftertaste started off with coffee vibes, but quickly moved into malty territory. Second specimen from my recent Adagio purchase that surprised me with its non-bitterness.

The leaves smell very interesting after an infusion.. but I can’t quite place it. If anyone could conjure up a cognate, I’d be grateful.

With a little bit of sugar and creamer, this is one of my favorite mellow black teas. Not the most outstanding flavor, but still very delectable!

This tea has been a favorite of mine since Adagio introduced it a year or so ago. I’m a big fan of Ceylon and Darjeeling teas, so I don’t drink a lot of Chinese blacks, but this is one that I can really get excited about. I brew it a little longer and with more leaf than most black teas and am rewarded with a very rich cup with pronounced chocolate notes and a really nice mouth-feel. It has a little less of the peppery quality than some Yunnan teas, but it’s there in the background. I’m enjoying a cup right now as my first tea of 2010!

Just made this for the first time, and it’s really strong and good. Sort of a mix of wood, chocolate, and smoke.

My first tea from the Yunnan region of China and I’m liking it. It took a bit of getting used to because of it’s strong flavor but it is very enjoyable. It has the dark color of coffee, the immediate taste of black tea but is smokey with a bit of a nutty and almost fruity flavor. A full bodied tea that I’d say is worth a try.

Very interesting tea. It is very dark in color and almost reminds me of coffee. It definitely has a cocoa smell and flavor to it. What sticks out to me is the smoky flavor.

This is nutty and delicious for a hot morning cup!

1 tbs tea 8oz water 1-3 min 2- 3 steepings