Yunnan Noir

Black Tea Leaves
Fruity, Honey, Malt, Sweet, Wet Earth, Cocoa, Earth, Pepper, Smoke, Spices, Toasted, Dark Chocolate, Metallic, Molasses, Roast nuts, Yams, Grain, Wood
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
Edit tea info Last updated by IllBeMother221B

From Adagio Teas

Yunnan is a region in China known for growing large-leaf tea. High mountains covered by mist, clean water and rich soil form ideal growing conditions and contribute to the unique flavor of Yunnan black tea. The Yunnan Noir is a hand-rolled version of this famous variety, with tightly rolled leaves into a “black snail” shape. The aroma is sweet with hints of honey and fruit. To the palate it is red wine-like with notes of fruit and cocoa and reveals an intense depth of character with each beguiling sip.

About Adagio Teas View company

Adagio Teas has become one of the most popular destinations for tea online. Its products are available online at and in many gourmet and health food stores.

I’m rather fond of this tea when I’m looking for a simple loose-leaf black tea. In my estimation, it’s perfect without sugar. The flavour can get extremely bitter if you over-steep it, so it is definitely a tea to keep an eye on, but it has a rich, mellow taste when you’ve steeped it right.

Absolutely splendid! This is a gentle black tea: smooth & sweet, and it doesn’t seem to tend towards bitterness. Aftertaste started off with coffee vibes, but quickly moved into malty territory. Second specimen from my recent Adagio purchase that surprised me with its non-bitterness.

The leaves smell very interesting after an infusion.. but I can’t quite place it. If anyone could conjure up a cognate, I’d be grateful.

With a little bit of sugar and creamer, this is one of my favorite mellow black teas. Not the most outstanding flavor, but still very delectable!

This tea has been a favorite of mine since Adagio introduced it a year or so ago. I’m a big fan of Ceylon and Darjeeling teas, so I don’t drink a lot of Chinese blacks, but this is one that I can really get excited about. I brew it a little longer and with more leaf than most black teas and am rewarded with a very rich cup with pronounced chocolate notes and a really nice mouth-feel. It has a little less of the peppery quality than some Yunnan teas, but it’s there in the background. I’m enjoying a cup right now as my first tea of 2010!

Just made this for the first time, and it’s really strong and good. Sort of a mix of wood, chocolate, and smoke.

My first tea from the Yunnan region of China and I’m liking it. It took a bit of getting used to because of it’s strong flavor but it is very enjoyable. It has the dark color of coffee, the immediate taste of black tea but is smokey with a bit of a nutty and almost fruity flavor. A full bodied tea that I’d say is worth a try.

Very interesting tea. It is very dark in color and almost reminds me of coffee. It definitely has a cocoa smell and flavor to it. What sticks out to me is the smoky flavor.

Strong black tea. Quite astringent.

Boiling 8 min or more 2 tsp 10 OZ / 300 ML

I tried out this tea this morning while eating breakfast with friends. I brought my tea tumbler (totally just spelled that tumblr at first) with me that I had already put tea leaves into. I’ll be really honest, so far I’ve loved all of my yunnan tea samples from Adagio. Sooo much so that I want to drink them all the time and all day long. They’re more expensive than what I normally drink so I was hoping that I’d hate this tea. I didn’t. I love it so much!!! It’s dark and fruit y and sweet and mellow. I love that I can brew yunnans for a super long amount of time and they still taste delicious. This tea re-brews extremely well. The appearance of the dry leaves is so pretty but I love watching the unfurled leaves as they float around in my tea. Flavor wise- spectacular. Sorry for the randomness and the jumping back and forth on topic, but I get pretty excited when I find a tea that I fall head over heels for. Its a modern day love story. (lol)

On a side note, does anyone have a good recommendation for yunnan black teas? I like to keep it affordable though I really want to try Whispering Pines golden snail.

Flavors: Fruity, Honey, Malt, Sweet, Wet Earth

Don’t know what you consider affordable but Yunnan Sourcing’s Yunnans are all good and Mandala Tea’s are as well.

Agree with Nicole . YS . Also Teavivre, Steven Smith Teamaker, Mandala, Whispering Pines

Thanks a bunch!

Tea from early this morning. I enjoyed it. There was a great malty flavor to it that I loved. There was also a general all around richness to it. Shame I only bought the sample size!

Flavors: Honey, Malt, Sweet