Yunnan Noir

Black Tea Leaves
Honey, Malt, Sweet, Cocoa, Earth, Pepper, Smoke, Spices, Toasted, Dark Chocolate, Metallic, Molasses, Roast nuts, Yams, Grain, Wood
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
High
Edit tea info Last updated by IllBeMother221B

From Adagio Teas

Yunnan is a region in China known for growing large-leaf tea. High mountains covered by mist, clean water and rich soil form ideal growing conditions and contribute to the unique flavor of Yunnan black tea. The Yunnan Noir is a hand-rolled version of this famous variety, with tightly rolled leaves into a “black snail” shape. The aroma is sweet with hints of honey and fruit. To the palate it is red wine-like with notes of fruit and cocoa and reveals an intense depth of character with each beguiling sip.

About Adagio Teas View company

Hooray, another Yunnan to try! :D I picked this up in my recent Adagio order because I had a $5 coupon and the sample was $5, so I figured that makes it free! ;) Do not question it! The leaves are very cute. They’re all curled up into little loose balls, bi luo chun style. Mostly dark with some golden tips in there too. The dry scent is strong malt with honey and a hay accent – pretty much what I expect at this point. I brewed this twice, first at 4 minutes and then at 3 (not a resteep, with separate leaves each time).

I did 4 minutes first, because it’s the average time for this tea on Steepster. The leaves get pretty big when they unfurl! :D Smells mostly malty with some bread and honey notes mixed in. The taste seemed kind of one-note to me. It was a ton of malt with a little earthy smokiness in there. Meh. Trying again.

Then I did 3 minutes in hopes I would get some other flavors. The aroma was similar, with more honey and some hay as well. I still taste mostly malt, but now there is some honey in there and none of the earth and smoke taste. Still not a super complex flavor profile. I added a bit of sugar and I felt it helped to round out the taste for me. I found this tea pretty good but not great. Somewhere between H&S Tippy Yunnan and Yunnan Golden Tips.

On another note, I saw several reviews for this on Adagio in which people said it didn’t have the normal Yunnan taste. This confuses me a bit because in all the Yunnans I’ve tried so far, the predominant flavors have been strong malt, bread, and honey notes. And this tea definitely has some of those. So I guess I don’t get what the “typical” Yunnan taste is supposed to be. :P

Flavors: Earth, Honey, Malt, Smoke

boychik

I make Yunnan blacks only gongfu. With short multiple steeps you can notice diff flavors. Just my 2c ;)

Cameron B.

I will definitely keep that in mind, although I don’t have any kind of gong fu equipment yet. Soon maybe.

TeaTiff

On the gong fu front… a smallish dish/bowl about 4oz with something to strain. I used a glass cooking dish I had for a while with a ziplock plastic lid. Worked just as well, wasn’t pretty, but no body was looking.

boychik

I used to make in Pyrex cup with saucer on top and strainer;)
This easy gaiwan is the best, I use it daily

Arshness

That set is cute and damn cheap for what it is.

I remember being warned tho about buying painted dishes from China. Something about lead in paint. I wonder how to be sure they are safe.

This is nutty and delicious for a hot morning cup!

1 tbs tea 8oz water 1-3 min 2- 3 steepings

This tea has a gorgeous velvety liquor and it always surprised when I took the first sip from each cup. I loved the way that it felt drinking. I would definitely recommend it for its delicacy and boldness as a everyday tea.

205 °F / 96 °C

This hits the spot when its freezing cold outside and I want a woodsy, malty black tea to warm the bones. Its very complex at different temperatures. Right after steeping, it’s very earthy, almost smokey, with a malty finish. After cooling, some sweeter notes came out and they lingered on the tongue before fading to a wine-like taste. Definitely a favorite for breakfast!

I also had to extol the shape. These leaves are wrapped into little spirals and snails, making it very easy to spoon out with a baking teaspoon, unlike leafier teas that can be a pain in the butt to measure.

Very rich, delicious, malty tea. Some chocolate and something sweet and fruity as well. Very smooth and rich mouthful.

I was excited when I read the description of this tea on adagios website so I ordered a sample. I brewed a 16oz cup of it with two heeping teaspoons and it was unbearably strong and the taste was so rich it made my stomach upset. I don’t know if I steeped it too long or what (6min). But I didn’t taste any notes of honey or spice.

Tastes like Strawberry Poptarts.

From the tea-journal:
This one was very reminiscent of coffee. Since I used to be a heavy coffee drinker, this one tasted pretty good if I added the usual coffee dressings of milk and sweetener. I am not sure it is smooth enough to entice me to buy more, though. I will have to give it a few more tries.