Yunnan Noir

Black Tea Leaves
Dark Chocolate, Honey, Malt, Metallic, Molasses, Roast nuts, Yams, Earth, Grain, Smoke, Wood
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
High
Edit tea info Last updated by The Purrfect Cup

• “So I am in the "happy" position of having the course schedule of dumb. Specifically, on Tuesdays, I currently have class from 9-10 am and then 3-9pm. THREE TO NINE WTF. I may drop one of the...” Read full tasting note
    chibibigos 382 tasting notes
  • “*Sipdown*. Infusion number one before I head off to work. (Edit several hours later) So I did like 2.5? teaspoons of this in ~2 cups of boiling water. Didn't let it steep quite as long this...” Read full tasting note
    Aeoliana 307 tasting notes
  • “Tea of the morning (my that seems so long ago) shared with the husband, thanks to *Michelle!* A decent black tea, not astringent, nothing offensive, held up to three infusions but no shining...” Read full tasting note
    autumn hearth 300 tasting notes
  • “Okay, I’m pretty sure I’m in the minority here, but I love Adagio’s new bags. They are cute and I like the feel of them and even the samples are resealable. I don’t know about everyone else, but...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Yunnan is a region in China known for growing large-leaf tea. High mountains covered by mist, clean water and rich soil form ideal growing conditions and contribute to the unique flavor of Yunnan black tea. The Yunnan Noir is a hand-rolled version of this famous variety, with tightly rolled leaves into a “black snail” shape. The aroma is sweet with hints of honey and fruit. To the palate it is red wine-like with notes of fruit and cocoa and reveals an intense depth of character with each beguiling sip.

About Adagio Teas View company

This is nutty and delicious for a hot morning cup!

1 tbs tea 8oz water 1-3 min 2- 3 steepings

This tea has a gorgeous velvety liquor and it always surprised when I took the first sip from each cup. I loved the way that it felt drinking. I would definitely recommend it for its delicacy and boldness as a everyday tea.

205 °F / 96 °C

This hits the spot when its freezing cold outside and I want a woodsy, malty black tea to warm the bones. Its very complex at different temperatures. Right after steeping, it’s very earthy, almost smokey, with a malty finish. After cooling, some sweeter notes came out and they lingered on the tongue before fading to a wine-like taste. Definitely a favorite for breakfast!

I also had to extol the shape. These leaves are wrapped into little spirals and snails, making it very easy to spoon out with a baking teaspoon, unlike leafier teas that can be a pain in the butt to measure.

Very rich, delicious, malty tea. Some chocolate and something sweet and fruity as well. Very smooth and rich mouthful.

I was excited when I read the description of this tea on adagios website so I ordered a sample. I brewed a 16oz cup of it with two heeping teaspoons and it was unbearably strong and the taste was so rich it made my stomach upset. I don’t know if I steeped it too long or what (6min). But I didn’t taste any notes of honey or spice.

Tastes like Strawberry Poptarts.

From the tea-journal:
This one was very reminiscent of coffee. Since I used to be a heavy coffee drinker, this one tasted pretty good if I added the usual coffee dressings of milk and sweetener. I am not sure it is smooth enough to entice me to buy more, though. I will have to give it a few more tries.

I’m mainly a green tea drinker but this was good. Not good enough to buy again but good enough to finish what I bought and move on. I didn’t get the wine notes some have described, rather a simple black tea. I have to admit the aroma is quite unique and pleasant, but when it comes to black tea I’d rather stick with Assam.